PDA

View Full Version : Will E28 parts work for 5-lug conv. on E30

5150CT
07-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Just wondering if you can use the E28 suspension and brake parts to convert a E30 to 5 lug?

Jordan
07-17-2004, 04:30 PM
no.

You can use e36 front strut assemblies/brakes with corrective offset control arm bushings.

You can use e30 M3 full suspension

You can use Z3/MZ3 rear trailing arms/brakes

those are the major easy/"direct swap" ones

SebSter
07-17-2004, 04:49 PM
why would u want to though? most rims come in 4 bolt pattern, especially now with the launch of the mini, even the more rare rims come in 4bolt... its kinda useless imo to do the swap

07-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Bigger brakes.?

Jordan
07-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by 1234
Bigger brakes.?

There are already plenty of big brake options for the 4x100 bolt pattern made for e30's.

The 2 major reasons people give for wanting 5 lug are:

Larger wheel selection

Bigger brakes.

Sure you will have a larger wheel selection, but... most of those wheels are either too big, or god awful looking. There are TONS of 4x100 wheels out there that are perfect size, and attractive.

Bigger brakes is easily changed without swapping suspension.

5150CT
07-18-2004, 03:06 AM
Yeah, i know about those parts fitting, but someone said that the e28 stuff would work also. Just wondering if it did, it would be a lot less money. My reason for the 5-lug is that with my engine swap e36 m3 into my new project (1990 325 e30), once done will produce more hp. and torque, and i would feel safer with a stronger rim attachment point and upgraded brakes. The fact that i can use a larger variety of rims doesn't hurt. By the way here is the link to my old project e30 that i never finished putting the e36 m3 drivetrain into. Some of you might remember me by my old user name ctchirica. here's the link:http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9037&highlight=suspension+brake+upgrade

Jordan
07-18-2004, 03:26 AM
I know of plenty of e30's pushing 800+ HP on 4x100 hubs. You have nothing to worry about... and as said, there are plenty of BBK options available.

5150CT
07-18-2004, 04:03 AM
I haven't priced the 5-lug conversion parts lately, when i did it on my other e30 i already had most of it. When i bought the e36 drivetrain it came with it. I think that by the time you buy some nice 4-lug rims that not everybody and their mom has, and i nice big brake kit, it will still cost you more than the 5-lug conversion. If nothing else having a 5-lug on a non m e30 is cool has hell. By the way what lip spoiler is that on the car in your sig? Is?

Jordan
07-18-2004, 11:53 AM
Rieger Infinity /w custom lip splitter. It is devistatingly effective at generating downforce at highway/backroad speeds.

Skunk#1
07-18-2004, 02:32 PM
i was going to do this, but the only real reason i was going to was for different wheels. but the fact i can still get nice wheels and porsche brakes that are i my opinion still way to big, why bother. you dont gain anything. i have seen a few car around here that have done it at our auto-x meets and then they have taken them off because wheel are not correct, you cant go as low with the bigger wheels and as jordan said the wheel are gross. the only reason to go five lug is if you use these wheels. the only bad fuc*en as$ bmw wheels.
:P

5150CT
07-18-2004, 03:01 PM
I still have a set of those wheels that came with the parts e36 m3 i bought for the drivetrain swap. One was way to damaged so i threw it away. One has a slightly bent lip but fixable, and the other two that were on the left side of the car are in perfect condition and have tires on them. I liked the e36 motorsports way better so that is what i chose to use on the swap on my other e30 that i posted the link for http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9037&highlight=suspension+brake+upgrade. The contours never realy appealed to me. If anybody wants the three remaining rims i'll sell them all for $100.

Jordan
07-18-2004, 03:08 PM
I love M-Contours on e30's.

5150CT
07-18-2004, 03:26 PM
I once saw an e30 m3 that had a set on Hamann hm2's with the E34 off-set. This gave the rim a phat ass lip, that didn't stick out passed the fender line. That is the look i would like to achieve, that is why the 5-lug idea is stuck in my head. Plus i want my car to be different in every aspect from cars you see rolling around. Anyone who knows about e30's and sees a 5-lug conversion knows that it is not an easy upgrade, and that the car isn't to be ****ed with. Kinda like a subtle warning of what lurks beneath the sheet metal.

Skunk#1
07-19-2004, 01:00 PM
werd, what are the m contours? i dont know about rims just engines.

Jordan
07-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by 5150CT
Anyone who knows about e30's and sees a 5-lug conversion knows that it is not an easy upgrade, and that the car isn't to be ****ed with.

5 lug conversions really are not that hard...

the e30 M3 suspension is completely bolt on.

e36 front strut assemblies/brakes bolt right on, you just need to modify the CAB or get one of the treehouse mounts.

Z3/MZ3 rear trailing arms/brakes bolt right up, with only slight mods.

None of that is what I would consider hard compared to alot of other things one can do to a e30.

Skunk#1
07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
so if you used the m3 hubs, they fit on the spindle for the 325? do you use the brake calipers for the m3(i assume the you use the five lug m3 rotor)? or do the 325 calipers fit the m3 rotors, i would think they(m3's) where bigger. i would consider this but would want bigger brakes anyway then the m stuff, like movit or something comparable, if i used the m3 wheel bearings what brake setup would i be able to use, i guess is the real question i am trying to ask. this is for 5150ct but i think jordan will know the answer, thanks for the info.

Jordan
07-20-2004, 07:18 PM
e30 M3 wheel bearings/hubs will not press into a non-m suspension.

I think that answers your question, but I'm not quite sure. Your questioning was confusing.

5150CT
07-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Yeah, the 5-lug conversion isn't all that hard. Time consuming?, very! It is pretty straight forward if your resourceful. Keep in mind i did this swap 2 years ago. Only a few people had them then. Derek was working on his and the other guy, i forgot his name, but he had the e34 m5 wheels on his white cabrio without the center fans on them. Once you've seen someone do something in a write-up with pictures, it looks very easy, and can be duplicated. By the way what would be considered something hard that other people have done to their e30's. Turbo kits to me aint shit as far as difficulty cause my shop has been doing one off kits for various customers since the early 90's. I've wired stand alone fuel and ignition management systems since DFI's first came out. Just incase these were some of your examples.

e30-323ti
07-21-2004, 05:08 AM
Have a look here:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9625

Some interesting info!!

I'm not too sure why I decided to do the 5lug swap.
I needed bigger tyres, which meant I needed bigger rims, and no one over here does 17x8" in a 4x100.
So I got some 17x8" BBS RX's and needed some Big Reds to fill the gaps.
It has all sort of spiralled out of control since then and I find myself buying extravagant things like koni coilovers, once you start you can't stop!!!

Why didn't you finish your old car??

Skunk#1
07-21-2004, 06:06 PM
thats cool man, i appreciate the help, i was reading the other thread 5150ct had and on it somewhere was mentioned that the hubs would fit. all the mods are easy i just dont know the interchange of the parts. i work at a shop where all we do is modify trucks and 4x4's. do rollcages and anything electrical, engines, whatever. the e30 is the easiest car i have ever worked on. try doing old landcruisers where the head for the engie weighs 110lbs with nothing on it and lifting out of the vehicle with no hoist. or putting it back on and not messing the head gasket up. i have to rebuild my suspension and can get parts real cheap. i will probably go ahead and covert to 5lug, but if i did would i still be able to use the movit kit, for the m3 respectivly? seeing as i already have the alum control arms and all the poly bushings, just need to get the struts from an e36. i just got some roadster trailing arms from the junk yard and they still look straight, the dealership is checking them out for me now. i just grabbed the whole things from under the car. i could only get the rear as the front was wrecked, it was hit by a train! once again thanks for the help.

Skunk#1
07-21-2004, 06:07 PM
was his name dave, from www.davelength.net .

5150CT
07-22-2004, 03:56 PM
I didn't finish the old car because half way through the project i bought my first house, and the house took priority. The car was sitting and a neighbor offered me 4k for the car. I only paid $800 for the car with a blown head gasket when i bought it. I was into the car a total of $2500 so the offer was pretty good, and i sold it. I was away from the bmw boards for a while and i still had the motor sitting so one night i was going over my old posts on the 318is, and on a whim decided that the e30 with the e36m3 drivetrain project had to be finished. I was lucky and found a 90 325i 2dr. in the recycler, and bought it for $600. The car has a dent in the rt. front corner where the old owner let the car roll forward on the hill she lived on, and a 4runner bumper stopped the car for her. She also thought the car had a blown head gasket cause the repair shop she took the car to for the overheating problem mis-diagnosed the car to have a blown head gasket, and all it really had was a vapor crack in the radiator end tank. All of which didn't matter to me as i will be swapping the drivetrain anyway. I'll post some pics. The car looks really ugly right now cause of the rear ending the 4runner incident, but the bodyshop i took it to said it's all cosmetic, nothing structural was damaged. I will start on the swap as soon as i get some space in my shop. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Yeah, it was Dave that had the cabrio with the 5 lug at that time.