PDA

View Full Version : Marbles in my clutch?

Bluecoat
07-14-2004, 06:17 PM
I don't profess to be a great stickman (that is with cars) but as a new M3 owner I'm bothered by a rattling sound that seems to come from the clutch.

When I pull into my garage, it's normally in first, quiet (radio off so wife can sleep) and as I go over a driveway bump (clutch partially engaged), I get a rattle that sounds like marbles banging in a tin cup.

Only lasts for a second but enough to get me wondering if something is messed up.

I know that clutches with worn throwout bearings can give off a rattling sound but this is new and have never heard what a worn throwout bearing might sound like.

Any stick drivers know or heard what I'm talking about?

Alezone
07-14-2004, 11:37 PM
I may know what kinda noise you're talking about... i heard those from the new M3s... sounds normal if that was it.

crazyvadim
07-15-2004, 06:08 AM
So this happens only when your in first and go over a bump??
I would guess its the friction disc damper springs,usually if they are weak or broken they produce a knocking or rattling sound.

If it was a bad throw out bearing it would produce a grinding noise whenever the clutch was pushed down....it may also give you a stiff clutch pedal and abnormal sounds from the clutch when disengaged.

Mystikal
07-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Every E46 I've driven does it. No worries.

BMWF1
07-16-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Every E46 I've driven does it. No worries.

i dunno about that, i've drivin a bunch of E46 and 01 M3 and it didn't make any marble sounds :confused:

Mystikal
07-16-2004, 09:24 AM
It's when you drive without any throttle, with the clutch half engaged. I notice it everyday driving my mom's 323i in the garage, and when we had a stick 320i loaner it did the same thing.