PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Calipers / Brake Dust

E46
07-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Anyone know where i can get the strongest cleaning solution to get the brake dust thats pretty much stuck onto my calipers?

I dont want weak stuff that protects clear coats on wheels. The calipers arent on my car right now so im looking for the strongest stuff that will take all the brake dust off. Thanks

cwiniarz
07-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Meguires hot rims works good on rims with a lot of break dust you could try that (just spray and rince). if not try autosol it's in a tube you can find it a canadian tire, all you do is apply and rub, works like a chram on all metals, it also remove oxidization and other contaniments on metals

Lip
07-14-2004, 02:23 AM
rub it with steal wool + chemicals (eg. rim cleaners)

Jordan
07-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Disassemble the calipers, have them bead blasted, pick a color and have them powdercoated, then reassemble them with all new seals. They will look and work better then new.

Gamite
07-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by cwiniarz
Meguires hot rims works good on rims with a lot of break dust you could try that (just spray and rince). if not try autosol it's in a tube you can find it a canadian tire, all you do is apply and rub, works like a chram on all metals, it also remove oxidization and other contaniments on metals

Great stuff! I use it all the time, takes off everything, but is safe for the clear coat.

Do NOT use steel wool, it will scratch your clear coat on your wheels.

Sunapollo
07-14-2004, 09:54 AM
he's cleaning the caliper so steel wool is fine !

cwiniarz
07-14-2004, 09:57 AM
^^^ YUp steel wool and good rim cleaner will work awsome,

SkycityBMW
07-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Use "Westleys Bleche-Wite" I used it to clean my rims that had alot of built up brake dust on the rims. A little elbow grease should do the trick.

Good Luck ! ! !

Gamite
07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
Great stuff! I use it all the time, takes off everything, but is safe for the clear coat.

Do NOT use steel wool, it will scratch your clear coat on your wheels.

oops misread topic.

bmwboy88
07-14-2004, 09:39 PM
When I bought my car, the salesguy gave me a bottle of rim cleaner from BMW. That stuff is strong sh** as I only use it when my wheels get all black. A couple spray, wait for a few secs and spray water, the rims looks like new.
sorry, don't know the name. It's OEM