PDA

View Full Version : Tint in Toronto

Bluecoat
07-13-2004, 02:33 PM
What are your experiences with tint shops in Toronto?

Picked up a new 2004 M3 last month and after cleaning up the drool on the car from those that oogled it, some suggested a tint would just take "the look" that much higher.

No recommendations from BMW but consensus seems to be; clear front, 35% on driver and passenger windows, 20% on driver/passenger back and rear window. Non metallic to avoid radio interference and a shop that knows how to handle the matrix dots.

So far I've got one quote for $250, from a shop I used for Diamond Kote in the Yonge/Steeles area (Distinct Auto).

Any learnings you have would be much appreciated.

ChahalzBMR
07-13-2004, 02:37 PM
3M in Brampton...Steels/Dixie area. I got mine done there 3 yrs ago and no problems to this date! It cost $300 at that time. I got 35% all around.

Andrushka
07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Formula One Tint in Newmarket.
Lifetime warranty tint. Extremely good quality and done very carefully. My X5 was tinted there, my current E46 was tinted there, and my dad liked how it looked so much he got his S500 tinted there. If it's not too far to go, give these guys a shout. I'm sure you'd want a good job on your M3.
Visit this website if you are interested. http://www.detailingshop.ca/detail.htm

My tint ran me about $260. They give you a service card and everything. The job takes about 2 hours to do, and Open Road BMW is right across the street so you can go ogle there while you wait. Hope this helps! *wiggle*

EL'ation
07-13-2004, 04:57 PM
When I asked Maranello BMW, they told me they send the cars to this place.

Royal Tint Plus
328 North Rivermede Rd Thornhill (905) 660-3099

Call them to make sure though. I might heard it wrong

Bluecoat
07-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey thanks for the feedback....
Talked with Shawn at Formula One in Newmarket and as Andrushka was saying, Open Road BMW is across the street and they do their detailing.

He agreed with the tint combo but was iffy on ensuring the dots would settle down properly. I know it's personal preference but anyone have regrets doing the tint job?

He quoted $288 for ceramic and $225 for standard dye coloured film. Don't know much about how different ceramic looks versus standard but Shawn did say that ceramic was a much better insulator against solar heat. Any comments on ceramic look versus standard film would also be welcomed.

Andrushka
07-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm not really sure about the difference, but I bought the best one that they had. Tell him to show you the best one and thats it. Hey you can probably afford it with an M3! :D

*mumble* lucky bastard

EMPOWERD
07-14-2004, 11:29 AM
This topic timing is ironic. I was shopping around yesterday for the best tint price in T.O aswell. I got my Outback tinted yesterday afternoon by (don't laugh) TINT KING. I chose their top-of-the-line tint (type-A) with lifetime warranty, anti-scratch blah, blah and for a 7-window car (wagon) they charged me a very reasonable $250.00 Nice job and love the charcoal color. I got the lightest tint all around and i'm very surprised how dark it is from the outside, yet how well you see at out. Just my $0.02

Paul540/m3
07-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I work at Lazer tint. They use the formula One tint(same as the detailing shop) Its funny because i jusr retinted my M3 yesterday. It had metallic tint on it b4 when i got it form the dealer and it was interfering with the AM radio. I put on ceramic tint from formula one(pinacle series). The film is also cut by a computer, they put in the model of your car into the computer and then the machine cuts it. I recently tinted 3 of my cars with the same tint 35%, my 540, porsche, and m3, and they all look great. Also to make things btr it comes with lifetime warranty that you can go to any formula one delear to redeem(including the detailing shop in newmarket) HaHa anyways im ranting now but i would suggest going 35% all around rather than different in the back. Anyways the number is 905- 850- 6655, tell them paul sent you

koncise
07-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
I got my Outback tinted yesterday afternoon by (don't laugh) TINT KING.

why would we laugh? tint king is the shiznat :P very good tints and usually good work... plus u cant deny how great a lifetime warranty is.

Surk
07-14-2004, 02:10 PM
Tint King in Mississauga...cash deal also if you ask...

Bluecoat
07-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Well I'm sold... ceramic tint ---> FormulaOne Pinnacle Series.

Once I get it done, I'll post pics of before and after........ if I can figure out how to get images up on these posts.

Thanks for the quality input. Future question will be on the best value/look winter rims/tires for Toronto on M3, but let's enjoy summer and cruising in your ride first.*love*

paul christians
07-15-2004, 12:16 AM
I payed $150 cash for mine tint

Justin e36
07-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Just got my tint done earlier today at TINT KING...
I went for 20% all around.. (my car is black / blacked out)
I went to the Kipling/Queensway location.
Most expensive tint (metallic) they have.
I paid $250 tax included. Lifetime warranty (so they say).
Anti-glare, anti-scratch, etc. etc.
and 60% heat deflection.. (good to have with a black leather interior!)

I'm not very happy with it for a couple reasons.

1) the guy doing the tint was rude

2) The rear window has bubbling already.. (it was done only a couple hours ago! I have go to back already!)

3) Rear window, they got half the dot-matrix to sit fine.. and they didn't bother about the other part.

4) It's too dark to see out of... and I can't wind down my windows for a week...

5) It's blurry to see out of... like the plastic has ripples in it. You notice it most when looking in the rear-view mirror.

If you get it done... go somewhere else, and don't get such a dark tint...

Justin

EL'ation
07-27-2004, 02:53 PM
1) the guy doing the tint was rude lol

4) It's too dark to see out of... and I can't wind down my windows for a week... It's not their fault that it's dark. You chose 20%

5) It's blurry to see out of... like the plastic has ripples in it. You notice it most when looking in the rear-view mirror. My tint was kinda wavy when I first got it, but once it dried, it was fine

I got mine from FXauto by the way

WhadUpp
07-27-2004, 02:58 PM
I was fortunate, my tint is 8 years old and hasnt peeled at all. Got it thru dealership when buying the car. I wish I knew where they took it cus I would definitely recommend them.

328power
07-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
This topic timing is ironic. I was shopping around yesterday for the best tint price in T.O aswell. I got my Outback tinted yesterday afternoon by (don't laugh) TINT KING. I chose their top-of-the-line tint (type-A) with lifetime warranty, anti-scratch blah, blah and for a 7-window car (wagon) they charged me a very reasonable $250.00 Nice job and love the charcoal color. I got the lightest tint all around and i'm very surprised how dark it is from the outside, yet how well you see at out. Just my $0.02
I have got my last 7 cars at TINT KING.../// they do a good job and charge me $220 total for my last E36 4 door// I wouldnt go anywhere else :)

328power
07-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
Just got my tint done earlier today at TINT KING...
I went for 20% all around.. (my car is black / blacked out)
I went to the Kipling/Queensway location.
Most expensive tint (metallic) they have.
I paid $250 tax included. Lifetime warranty (so they say).
Anti-glare, anti-scratch, etc. etc.
and 60% heat deflection.. (good to have with a black leather interior!)

I'm not very happy with it for a couple reasons.

1) the guy doing the tint was rude

2) The rear window has bubbling already.. (it was done only a couple hours ago! I have go to back already!)

3) Rear window, they got half the dot-matrix to sit fine.. and they didn't bother about the other part.

4) It's too dark to see out of... and I can't wind down my windows for a week...

5) It's blurry to see out of... like the plastic has ripples in it. You notice it most when looking in the rear-view mirror.

If you get it done... go somewhere else, and don't get such a dark tint...

Justin

Hmm odd they are ussually good ... I go to the Keele/steeles location.. The bubbles take time to clear and when u go back to get the windows opened up they will clear out the bubbles for you..

Too dark ?? .... You picked it :)

Justin e36
07-27-2004, 04:44 PM
ah okay.. they'll clear the bubbles after.. wish they told me that.

as for picking the tint being too dark... he said seeing out of it at 20% or 35% would be the same.. it's seeing in that gets darker. But it's not easy to look out of at all... I'm always driving in the shade.. lol.. thank god for the sunroof! :D

ok.. well if it gets better, then perhaps I should wait a couple weeks before I file my complaint on maX. :)

Waterwings
07-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Yo man there is a place in aurora that we (Open road BMW) send all our cars. They do a sick job. They have laser cutter for the patterns and all that good stuff and a life time warrenty if you want the info on the company pm me and i will get it for you.

Justin e36
07-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Water.. what brand tint do they use, how about pricing?

Paul540/m3
07-28-2004, 04:00 PM
The shop he is talking about is "the detailing shop" in newmarket. They use formula One tint(best tint you can buy) and they even use ceramic tint so there will be no interference with the radio in the back window. If metallic tint is used on higher end cars such as audi, bmw, porsche etc. it will interefere with radio reception. The place where i work(Lazer Tint in woodbridge, also does formula one tint with the computer cutting system) let me know if you want some more info

Paul540/m3
07-28-2004, 04:03 PM
oh yea and pricing is not cheap for ceramic tint. but i am sure if you call and tell them paul sent you, they will take care fo you. (cash deals are always btr haha)
Lazer Tint- (905) 850-6655

Bluecoat
07-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Well I finally got my M3 tinted at the Detailing Shop in Newmarket.

FomulaOne Pinnacles Series (ceramic tint.... so new they don't have a sample board yet). For 35% all 'round, cost me $260 + tax, along with a return visit one week later (once it dries out) to press in the tint over the dot matrix (has to be a hot sunny day).

Pleasant and courteous. Looks great, glad I got it done..

WhadUpp
07-28-2004, 11:31 PM
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove old tint so I can do my car as it is 8 years old and although it hasnt peeled it looks like it has taken a blue tint over the years.

audiophilia
07-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Bluecoat
Well I finally got my M3 tinted at the Detailing Shop in Newmarket.

FomulaOne Pinnacles Series (ceramic tint.... so new they don't have a sample board yet). For 35% all 'round, cost me $260 + tax, along with a return visit one week later (once it dries out) to press in the tint over the dot matrix (has to be a hot sunny day).

Pleasant and courteous. Looks great, glad I got it done..

I'll be going tomorrow, Bluecoat. Glad you like it.

Bluecoat
07-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by WhadUpp
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove old tint so I can do my car as it is 8 years old and although it hasnt peeled it looks like it has taken a blue tint over the years.

Best to call around to a few tint shops to see what they would do before deciding if this is something you want to tackle.

WhadUpp
07-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks Bluecoat, if it doesnt affect my defroster lines I might do it. I would rather leave it if it might get scraped to the point where it would render them useless. In a year or two I'm retiring this old workhorse and will be looking to get back in the market for another car but in the meantime I would still like to try some of the new ceramic tints out there.

Justin e36
07-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Update on my Tint King experience:

Okay... so the blurryness of their highest quality tint went away.. finally.

However.. within 2 days the driver side door tint got scratched... they had to peel it off and replace it.

As I was driving out I noticed quite a few bubbles on the tint.

I brought it back in. They had to take it off and replace it.

They SAID they smoothed out all the bubbles on the rest of the tint. They didn't.

All doors and rear window has bubbling.

Rear window is probably the worst.. although they tried to get rid of the bubbles.

They also neglected to tell me that the graphite tint has lots of metal in it.. (keep the heat out, and gives it a more gray-appearance opposed to brown).......... which also means that my stereo antenna signal is now weak... since half of it is covered with this metal!

$250... too much.

I'm going to strip it all off and pay $150 to get it done at BMW. This is just ridiculous... not to mention how rude they are!

Tint King @ Kipling Queensway... stay away. Horrible experience... had to bring my car in 4 times now, still not happy at all. Two thumbs down.

Bluecoat
07-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
Update on my Tint King experience:

They also neglected to tell me that the graphite tint has lots of metal in it.. (keep the heat out, and gives it a more gray-appearance opposed to brown).......... which also means that my stereo antenna signal is now weak... since half of it is covered with this metal!

$250... too much.

I'm going to strip it all off and pay $150 to get it done at BMW. This is just ridiculous... not to mention how rude they are!

Not sure what you're going to get from BMW that costs $150 and is decent?? I haven't found their after-purchase offerings to be any bargains. I learned a lot from these forums and finally settled on ceramic tint (won't mess up your in-window signals). Believe only FormulaOne Pinnacle Series offers it.

Do a google search to find the location closest to you.... I'm really happy about the tint work done by The Detailing Shop in Newmarket.

Paul540/m3
07-30-2004, 09:35 PM
we do formula one too
lazer tint in woodbridge
have it on both of my bimmers and porsche