PDA

View Full Version : Best coilovers for street-setup?

Justin e36
07-12-2004, 01:26 PM
As much as I want the Bilstein/Eibach setup.. it would simply not be a smart decision since I'd likely have to change my springs when I do my engine swap.

So I'm going with coilovers... I don't want anything with a very harsh ride though.. (i.e. H&R)

Anyone who has EXPERIENCE with e36 coilovers.. please give me some feedback. (no offense guys.. but I don't want to hear any reviews/feedback from people who've never owned coilovers on their car.. or even have their license or car yet.)

thx/J

ChahalzBMR
07-12-2004, 01:33 PM
I got coilovers and I love them! Except for one thing. I lowered mine 2" in the front and got clicking noises when I use to make full turns. I raised it this weekend by .25" and the noise is almost gone. I don't know if it's just me or my kit but the lower you go with coilovers the more rubbing and "noises". I have the Bilstein/H&R setup. It was a harsh ride at first (sudden) change from a 6 yr old stock setup but I like it now. It is just right for the way I drive.:D

Mystikal
07-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
(no offense guys.. but I don't want to hear any reviews/feedback from people who've never owned coilovers on their car.. or even have their license or car yet.)

LMAO, so true.

I'll shutup though since I only know E30.*shiner*

Mitch555
07-12-2004, 02:39 PM
I'm running on Ground Control Coilovers and I like them cuz they will make a custom setup for you. Tell them the spring rate you want and they will make it for you. The best part is that they use Eibach springs.

Justin e36
07-12-2004, 03:52 PM
ChahalzBMR - yeah I don't want it to be too rough... I mean, yeah I want a stiffer suspension but I do have to draw the line somewhere... 99% of the time my car is being driven as a daily commute vehicle.

Mystikal... it's ok.. e30 comments are cool too. As long as the same coilovers are availbale for e36...

Mitch.. more info on that please? ... how do I contact them?.. or get them to make the custom setup?

I want to run them with Bilsteins...

Mystikal
07-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Okay then, to add to what Mitch said, GC coilover setups kick ass. Being able to spec exactly the stiffness you want/need. Also because it is not all a 1-piece design, if for any reason you need to change the spring rate, it's just a quick (and cheap) swap away.

Here's their E36 stuff: http://www.ground-control.com/?D=90e8cad3fa4f8fc9d4e394770bb629c9

1BADBMR
07-13-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm running the Bilstein's Coilovers (PSS). Its the best money I spent on my car so far. The ride quality is excellent*th-up* Its not too firm or soft. It is also very easy to adjust the height. You don't have to lift the car off the ground to do it.
I just wish I got the PSS9; which has adjustable dampening

ROBM3
07-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
So I'm going with coilovers... I don't want anything with a very harsh ride though.. (i.e. H&R)

You're right H&R's are very stiff for teh road !
I have the coilovers on my crx and it's stiff !
here's a pic of them...

djcontra
07-13-2004, 12:51 PM
FK Konigsport...I suggested these to another guy on the forum today too. I've got the Highsports (non-damper adjusting), but that's cause I like the suspension to be really stiff.
I owned a set of Sachs racing coilovers previously, now belonging to someone else on the board, and they were a great set of coilovers as well, but very expensive compared to the FK's.