PDA

View Full Version : Pretentious BMW owners and the like...

addbhp
07-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Is anyone else sick of the pretentiousness of BMW's in general and particularily there dealers.

Don't get me wrong, I still like my E30 and drooling over the odd new M3 and am grateful for their involvement in racing, but for some reason, likely my old age, most BMW's are not driven the way they should be, or appreciated for the mechanicals. The majority are only interested in the name, the status and in general make me sick. You could argue this has been this way for a while, but for some reason...I am less tolerant than I used to be.

A perfect example is last Saturday, I went to Budds to replace my rear emblem, that was ripped off probably by some poseur, only to be stopped at a gate....a gate...yes with an attractive young girl, who's only job is to asked me and every customer why I was there???? "Are you kidding me?" I'm thinking F$%^& you can see I'm in a F$%^& BMW . Even the young attendent seemed embarrassed to have to ask why for each customer......Anyways I mention that I'm there for parts, so I go in, walk past all the arrogant sales rep's, only to find parts closed....F. Me why didn't the "gate attendent tell me?...so now I'm even more pissed, and about ready to sell the car, by me some american muscle and get ready to embarrass all the BMW's who think they have a fast car!

Rant over...well not really.

Justin e36
07-07-2004, 04:01 PM
indeed... sick of people buying just for the name... also sick of seeing kids turn the BMW name into a "high-end Honda" with their mods...

crusher
07-07-2004, 04:14 PM
LOL wtf Budd's now has a gate monkey? hahah

audiophilia
07-07-2004, 04:27 PM
No!

The more pretension, the better:D

Surk
07-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Budd's is notorious for this... try going in there to test drive a car without having at least a H2.... I was asking the same question about the BMW stigma... I bought the car for its handling, looks and quality...maybe 5% for the name (we all have a dream-car)

I get cut off , scraped intentionally and the finger on the hwy for doing 120kph minding my own... I've never owned a car that has had this pretentiousness attached to it...almost wanna get a bumper sticker that says

" No, I'm NOT a pretentious BMW driver... I just appreciate a nice car..."

98323IS
07-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Hey addbhp you're from Ancaster??? We should meet up sometime! That's my neck of the woods. Maybe you've seen me around. My paps has an 02 M3 cab as well.

Justin e36
07-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm in Ancaster / Hamilton all the time too. ;)

rodo
07-08-2004, 01:24 AM
ahhaah with 03 dinan 3 we were coming up to the gate and she automatically put it up when she saw us and didn't stop us or anything ;)

WhadUpp
07-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Gated dealership, who do they think they are Bugatti?:P

addbhp
07-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Whew Thought I might get flamed on, good to see there are still some BMW drivers who apprecriate the car, not the name.

Actually I moved from Ancaster (Meadowlands) back closer to work, now I'm in Oakville (Bronte).

98323is...What colour was your Dad's M3...I know the Meadowlands certainly has some nice cars...There was this mint Cobra (or Replica) that sounded amazing.

rost12
07-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by addbhp
The majority are only interested in the name, the status and in general make me sick.

Word. Snobs, all of 'em, and M5 drivers are the worst.

What the heck is wrong with buying prestigious, safe and high-quality car like a BMW for reasons other than 10/10th handling capability? Would you prefer all the "non-enthusiast" people to drive MBs? BMW would be out of business hella quick.

:huh?:

Simby
07-08-2004, 11:59 PM
ya, I'm surprised not more people are posting to this discussion. I didn't want to post till someone else was against your idea. I mean, if you really wanted a drivers car, wouldn't you get a better one by not paying the BMW premium and buying a cheaper car using the saved money to mod?

ROBM3
07-09-2004, 12:22 AM
The BMW fad was over when the E46 was introduced. PERIOD.

I was basically not interested anymore in having a BMW.

The E30 M3 is still an awesome machine though.

crazyvadim
07-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by rost12
Word. Snobs, all of 'em, and M5 drivers are the worst.

lol,i think im the coolest and youngest M5 driver in NY*smoke*
I really appreciate the car and im always nice to people who ask questions about the car.I always abuse ricers and random cars that ask for it,some give thumbs up.....some even ask me at the light to show them what the machine is capable of.
Most M5 drivers i see in NY are old men who drive below speed limit and just dont give a shit that theres a fellow M5 right beside them:rolleyes:
I also hate when people have fast cars and dont want to run me...

rollee
07-09-2004, 01:49 AM
this is a fine post. thanks for bringing up the topic of the pretentious bmw owner, i can't stand them, they don't deserve to drive this car. i met a few whom have absolutely zero idea of their car, unfriendly to conversation about their car and not to mention not knowing how to drive their bmws.
to them it makes no difference if they drive a rice or what-not as long as there a bmw logo on it.
budds have a bad name preceding them, my experience with their sales personnel are poor, friends of mine concludes they are the worst among all gta dealers, but their clientele are the snobish ones whom likes to be kissed assed. two of a kind. asshole 2 asshole.

sonic07
07-09-2004, 02:51 AM
this is true most people buy BMW because of the name. years ago i used to think that bmw was a piece of crap because two occasions i saw bmw got stuck on incline road spinning tires couldn't make it up the hill in the winter time that i had to drive around it with my old honda accord and thinking what a hell the problem with that car (perhaps was the driver). untill then Bill Gates (at Max-Not Microsoft) let me drive his 328is. I was so amazed how the machine handle at high speed (215km/hr). then i bought one, first thing i work on the brake job, brake switch, headlight, airvent airfilter... and so on... now i'm more amazed how the car is built because everything is very thoughtful engineered. compare to most of the cars i used to own in the past i'd say BMW is about 8 years or more advanced in automotive technology.

rost12
07-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by crazyvadim
lol,i think im the coolest and youngest M5 driver in NY

I was being sarcastic, man, I got an M5 myself :p

rost12
07-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by rollee
pretentious bmw owner, i can't stand them, they don't deserve to drive this car.

They paid for it, so they sure as heck "deserve" it.

ImolaMZ3
07-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Budd's Oakville has never had a good reputation for customer service. Rather than get into a long winded rant just let me say that I have never been treated so poorly at any dealership as I have there. Budd's Hamilton however is the abosulte best BMW dealership I have ever been in. They treat me like I expect for someone who spent a large amount of cash even thought I didn't buy it from them. Kevin in the service department deserves two thumbs up for knowing his cars inside and out and caring about how much it is going to cost you.

As for pretenious bmw owners, well, I didn't buy the car just becasue it was fast, I bought it because it was a BMW. Most days I drive the car like any other car. What I like is knowing that when I need to, the car will perform like few others. I am eternally petrified of parking anywhere as I know it is only a matter of time before a BMW hater vandilizes it. I have been called every name in the book for driving such a pretenious car, my response is to drop down 2 gears and show them why. Oh, and any non-BMW person whom I have let drive the car (very few get the chance) learn by 3rd gear or the first corner why I love this vehicle.

rollee
07-09-2004, 04:28 PM
no they don't deserve it for crying out loud, being able to afford it does not mean they know what they are really getting. give them a jap rocket with a logo on it , they will not know the difference. or better yet buy a mercedes, those cars for those fat assess who can afford it and they drive themselves while the huge stomach touches the steering wheel.

rost12
07-09-2004, 06:07 PM
no they don't deserve it for crying out loud, being able to afford it does not mean they know what they are really getting.

Dude, driving a BMW doesn't make us any better than the rest of the world. Choosing to buy a BMW for its driving prowess also doesn't make us any better. It's just a car, not a sign of superior morality or intellectual capability.

rollee
07-09-2004, 11:16 PM
i disagree but if you don't feel that way, i cannot be here to help you with your problem.
driving in my car puts a smile on my face like no other, but of course one man's meat is another's poison. i feel sorry for your e39, its a fantastic ride.
too bad the owner thinks nothing more of it.

sonic07
07-09-2004, 11:54 PM
buy a mercedes, those cars for those fat assess who can afford it and they drive themselves while the huge stomach touches the steering wheel.

....lol....:D

rost12
07-10-2004, 02:07 AM
i disagree but if you don't feel that way, i cannot be here to help you with your problem.

I'm not the one with a problem, bud. Your opinion on why people should or shouldn't buy a car means shit to anybody but you. Deal with it.

And if I want to buy an M5 and drive it like a granny in the right lane doing 80 in a 100, I will. Not your car, not your money.

*wave*

rollee
07-10-2004, 02:27 AM
its all good bud. i thank you on behalf of bmw and the team of engineers at bmw M munich for your patronage and contineous support.
wish that i have the resources to buy an 2003e39m5 and drive 80 or 280 for the matter. i love it so much that i will drive it slowly for everyone to see me in one (don't want to get dust on the carpet). it just hurts me to learn that its owner don't really feel it made him/her feel special, but its true they do have the dole and its their car. be grateful that you can afford one since times are so good sir. you are the captain.

rost12
07-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Ease up on the bitterness, and life will be some much better, bud :)

chromius
07-10-2004, 12:55 PM
its all good bud. i thank you on behalf of bmw and the team of engineers at bmw M munich for your patronage and contineous support.
wish that i have the resources to buy an 2003e39m5 and drive 80 or 280 for the matter. i love it so much that i will drive it slowly for everyone to see me in one (don't want to get dust on the carpet). it just hurts me to learn that its owner don't really feel it made him/her feel special, but its true they do have the dole and its their car. be grateful that you can afford one since times are so good sir. you are the captain.

You do realize that you don't have to drive like a retarded maniac to apreciate the car right? You seem like the peak of BMW snob, You think anyone that dosn't "push their cars to the limit" dosn't know what its like to drive a BMW...thats bull. You can still appreciate a BMW without driving like a prick and cutting people off on the highway (which is why a lot of bimmer drivers have a bad name)...lighten up and realize that bimmer drivers are not the only drivers on the road, and that bimmers arn't the greatest car in the world...they are among a top few.;)

BMW_7
07-10-2004, 02:44 PM
It's just what the majority of people want. Some people say BMWs lost their edge after the e30. Some say it lost the edge after the E36, and some say it's still as good as it always was.

Bottom line is, BMW has to keep up with the competition. I mean face it. look at VW, they are supposed to be the people's car, they now have a car that's as expensive as the top BMW.

Simby
07-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
You do realize that you don't have to drive like a retarded maniac to apreciate the car right? You seem like the peak of BMW snob, You think anyone that dosn't "push their cars to the limit" dosn't know what its like to drive a BMW...thats bull. You can still appreciate a BMW without driving like a prick and cutting people off on the highway (which is why a lot of bimmer drivers have a bad name)...lighten up and realize that bimmer drivers are not the only drivers on the road, and that bimmers arn't the greatest car in the world...they are among a top few.;)

Very well put! I agree with you 100%

rost12
07-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Simby
Very well put! I agree with you 100%

*th-up*

WhadUpp
07-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Drive it like you stole it

rost12
07-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by WhadUpp
Drive it like you stole it

On the track. Otherwise, stop stealing people's cars! :P

UncleJ
07-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Budd's BMW in Oakville is great. I dunno what happened to you guys, but I was there yesterday. The salesman (John Koutoulakis) was a great guy. Showed me like 10 different cars, talked to me for over an hour. He got me prices and called me back, unlike some salesmen. He even took me into the back and I talked to a mechanic working there about the 330. Plus, the new location looks excellent. He could have easily thought I was just a punk kid wasting his time, like some salesman, but he didn't. The staff there was very nice and talkative as well.

WhadUpp
07-11-2004, 01:41 PM
wow, your experience is like night and day compared to the others. Maybe it depends on whos working there at that particular time so there are actually nice staff there. Go figure.

Good that they treated you like that, everyone should get that kind of service*th-up*

Jon@Bimmersport
07-11-2004, 08:45 PM
unclej, maybe since your pulling up in a newer bmw he figured you have the $ to afford another one...

ROBM3..wat fad? oh ya thats right..cuz u dont like the E46..no one does, everyone that buys it isnt an enthusiast..i forgot about that..:rolleyes:

DriveItSideways
07-13-2004, 01:05 PM
i definetly appreciate the performance of bmw's, i just wish i could afford one that performed good! but im still happy with the 318, lovin the gas mileage.