PDA

View Full Version : BMP Multi throttle body intake

RandyB
07-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Has anybody here used this from bmp? I have an 87 325es and was wondering if it could be used on the eta motor. It say M20 but specifi's the i engines. The good or the bad about this mod.

Jordan
07-07-2004, 06:50 PM
it would produce absolutely no gains on a eta.

you would loose a significant amount of tq, and gain minimal if any hp.

Skunk#1
07-07-2004, 08:21 PM
accually it depends on the cam, valve size, and stroke. you could make a torque monster with that setup but youll need a stroker. i am throwing that (dbilas one though) on a 3.1L stroker with turbo. should be good for 420 hp. you will need to change over to a map sensor instead of the air flow meter. it would require tuning but would be bad ass. the whole thing is going to run you some bank. turbo by itself will net you more power and be easier. just dont put it on a stock motor.

Jordan
07-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Just a random guess... but I'm willing to bet he has a stock ETA motor and is looking for more power... sounds like he is very new to the engine, and or doesn't know much of anything about it/e30's.

Somehow I don't think he has a 3.1L turbocharged stroker.

Either way.. that mod will do nothing for a ETA. It might make your car .1 second faster 0-60 because of the lightwieght mod it performs on your wallet.

paul christians
07-08-2004, 12:40 AM
I will be using it next year on car??

paul christians
07-08-2004, 12:42 AM
It is top end power!!!

RandyB
07-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah you guessed it the only Knowledge I have of the e30 and m20 engines are what I read I have no real world experience but hope to soon. I have just been reading everything I can find on these cars so that one day I will be prepared to plunge into upgrading.

aaron_silva
07-08-2004, 09:39 AM
For the price of the intake you can buy an M50.

Aaron

6piston
07-08-2004, 02:51 PM
you'll not gain "anything" unless it's the last thing you want to do when you know you've done everything or squeezed every last bit you can out of the M20.

with that money you can do a whole lot more and gain a whole lot more.

but i have to admit it looks REALLY good!

http://www.zerotohundred.com/bmw/gallery/m20engines/dbilas01.jpg

zimmer
07-08-2004, 06:07 PM
can you get them for e30 2.0

Jordan
07-08-2004, 06:57 PM
It would most likely fit the 2.0L m20 just fine.. but WHY on earth would you put one on there? Again you would get no gains on such a tiny little motor.

This unit is an awsome upgrade once you have done everything else to your m20 worth doing, but even then.. you wont gain that much power. m20's are very limited by their 12 valve SOHC design. 6 intake valves can only flow so much air, no matter what piping guides the air to them.

zimmer
07-09-2004, 08:26 AM
because insurance and pertrol and bloody expersive in england, so am sticking with my 2.0 and tuning it up to the muts nuts.

6piston
07-09-2004, 03:22 PM
zimmer,

if you're going to increase any performance at all, you're going to burn more petrol.

if insurance or road tax bothers you, there's so much more to do other than getting that 6throttle intake.

get a 2.5 M20, tamper with the engine code, and you have a 325i instantly, if the authorities doesn't know of course and i don't think they'll find out. that should cost less than that dbilas intake. and from the 2.5 you can stroke it up further to 2.7 or go the extra mile, get a 3.0 kit.

you should be left with some change to do exhaust mods, minor intake mods, and maybe even a chip.

the 2.0 M20 isn't worh upgrading.

cheers,
Tom

Skunk#1
07-09-2004, 08:10 PM
anyway the fact of the matter, 6 intake valves does not in anyway hinder flow. the size of the valve does. look at a nascar motor, 355cid only 8 intake valves, 650hp, naturally aspirated? damn that doesnt flow good?! anyway i can tell you dont mod motors, i have a land cruiser motor that i have doubled the horepower from stock and it is still na. you go bigger on the valves. to put it in perspective my engine flows more air then a z06 corvette (my stoke is bigger than a 454cid and the bore is also comparable to big blocks). i am currently putting three side draft webers and a turbo on the motor. then you will see mad land cruiser power. as far as the intake though, it is the samething when people say that if you put sidedraft carbs on a motor then you only gain top end. that is crap, the only real gains worth mentioning is in the midrange. you can over carburate the motor so that it can only opperate under high rpm situations but for the most part you gain ass loads of midrange. one thing i do specalize in is weber carbs, so efi and independent runner intakes are almost the same thing, only you dont have to jet them.