PDA

View Full Version : How many of you BMW owners actually do tire rotation?

BladeRunner
07-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Yesterday my dad suggested that I rotate my (4 month old) tires, well because he rotated his tires that same day.

I replied it was not completely necessary for me to rotate my tires because, "BMW does not recommend tire rotation. Owning to the car's suspension design, the front tires begin to wear first at the outer shoulder and the rear tires begin to wear first at the middle of the tread or inner shoulder. Rotating tires may adversly affect road handling and tire grip.

NOTE -- The main purpose of tire rotation is to promote even wear and maximum tire life. Tire life may be decreased slightly if the tires are not rotated" (Bentley Publishers).

By the way, my dad drives a Ford so his suspension is independent to some degree and has more postive camber than mine.

Quack
07-07-2004, 12:30 AM
I don't rotate my tires, my front tires wear out pretty evenly, my rear tires wear out fast due to my lead foot, this also means I only have to buy 2 tires every now & then

e30 dude
07-07-2004, 01:46 AM
my e30 manual actually says not to rotate the tires.. doesn't say why though.

crazyvadim
07-07-2004, 01:48 AM
I dont rotate my tires,just like Quack i have a lead foot so my rears have to be changed very often.I also heard i remeber from a BMW tech that you shouldnt rotate your tires on an M5.

T.Dot_E30
07-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by crazyvadim
I dont rotate my tires,just like Quack i have a lead foot so my rears have to be changed very often.I also heard i remeber from a BMW tech that you shouldnt rotate your tires on an M5.

The rear wheels are wider so are the tires, i dont think u wanna rotate those

Mystikal
07-07-2004, 09:49 AM
I just did a front-rear swap after like 4000km, I'm trying to get the best out of a 200 rated treadwear tire.

And screw that BMW recommends crap, with the way I drive they are worn to the new alignment settings within an hour. :)

Surk
07-07-2004, 09:51 AM
Being in the carbiz...tire rotation is an essential service... Even though they wear differently on BMW's F>R... I would recommend roation regardless ONLY if they are not staggered sizes... I rotate my summer 18's more frequently (twice a summer) and have had no issues with handling or steering. This will maximize your tire investment and offset camber wear. IMOA

Mystikal
07-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Heh, it's not really a problem if your camber is equal front-rear like mine. :D Oversteer rules.

thinair
07-07-2004, 10:26 AM
I rotate my tires all the time, especialy if I have been doing some creative driving. My tires wear in the same place, but the rear just wears a little faster. I rotate my tires aftert every autox or track day.

Keeping in mind my camber angles, tire and rim sizes are the same from front to back also. I donīt rotate from side to side because my tires are directional

jmalixi
07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
I rotate tires on all the cars I've had and I've owned different makes. My main reason for rotating, aside from longer tire life, is that I don't like buying two tires at a time. It's like getting only a partial benefit of having new tires.

So far, I have not had any issues with rotating tires. I refuse to blindly follow a recommendation, even it's from BMW, that doesn't have any merit. BMW is probably just trying to avoid getting sued in case some stupid person rotates tires on a staggered setup.:D