PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done r134a conversion?

skategoat
07-06-2004, 11:58 AM
If so, how is the cooling? Where did you get it done and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

Henry (GTA)

Skunk#1
07-06-2004, 05:27 PM
you will loose about 5 degrees (f). you cant buy the kit that they sell at like autozone. you have to change the compressor and the hoses. bmw doesnt carry the r12 compressor anymore, and the hoses have different fittings. your are looking about 500-700 usd for the compressor and around 150-450 usd for the hoses. these are brand new prices i just looked them up because i am redooing my a/c. but i am leaving it r12. the price for the freon is not that expensive. it will cost about 80 usd for them to fill up the freon. i have already replaced the drier and evap core, the expansion valve and o-rings. since i got all that free and i live in texas where it i hot as fuc* i figured might as well have the colder a/c. if you come down here i can point you toward mexico where they can replace all your a/c and fill it up with a good warranty for like 95 usd. that is not a joke they do it cheap there. hope this helps.

Jon@Bimmersport
07-06-2004, 06:51 PM
i helped do the conversion on an older benz, it wasnt that hard (well cuz i was being told wat to do..) but i'd suggest going to Chucks auto, they specialize in BMW's and have the experience with them. PM bimmersport as he is a mechanic there, he might even be able to give u a special price.