PDA

View Full Version : How can I seal small crack in corner lens?

jmalixi
06-26-2004, 12:12 AM
I found a small crack in my corner lens. I'm not sure yet whether it lets any water in or not but for preventive maintenance I wanna seal it as much as possible.

Does anyone know what I can use to seal the crack properly?

jeremy
06-26-2004, 12:19 AM
clear caulking/sealer

jmalixi
06-26-2004, 12:25 AM
It's close to middle of the lens though. Clear caulking/sealer will show.

jeremy
06-26-2004, 01:19 AM
i think you're gonna be pretty much screwed....anything you use is going to show

sonic07
06-26-2004, 02:19 AM
depending if the crack has a gap in between or very tight, I would use zap ca super thin, it will penetrate between the crack, if there is space in the crack use flash super glue. you only need very little amount almost like less than a drop and be ready to wipe off the excess. it will dry like in seconds (clear) and don't let it get on your finger. you can find this at hobby store about 6 to 7 bucks.

M50E30
06-26-2004, 03:32 AM
Super glue or get a new one.

I could be wrong but are the clear corners for E46's supposed to be relativly cheap from the dealership? :confused:

sonic07
06-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by M50E30
Super glue or get a new one.

I could be wrong but are the clear corners for E46's supposed to be relativly cheap from the dealership? :confused:

cheap .... i guess it depends from which pocket it's coming from ... lol ... for the guy that own E46 perhaps it is cheap .... I bought one last year from mississauga bmw it was $ 102.00 + txs and got the other side from Bry (Autotechnica) for $ 30.00 ... now that's cheap ...

jmalixi
06-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by sonic07
depending if the crack has a gap in between or very tight, I would use zap ca super thin, it will penetrate between the crack, if there is space in the crack use flash super glue. you only need very little amount almost like less than a drop and be ready to wipe off the excess. it will dry like in seconds (clear) and don't let it get on your finger. you can find this at hobby store about 6 to 7 bucks.

Thanks. It's a hairline crack and hardly noticeable so I'll give the zap ca super thin a try. I can leave it as is but just wanted to make sure water doesn't get in or anything.

It's only about an inch long so it's not worth buying a replacement lens yet.

sonic07
06-27-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by jmalixi
Thanks. It's a hairline crack and hardly noticeable so I'll give the zap ca super thin a try. I can leave it as is but just wanted to make sure water doesn't get in or anything.

It's only about an inch long so it's not worth buying a replacement lens yet.

that stuff is excellent we use it to seal tires to the rim on RC Nitro Car. it will withstand gas, nitro fuel, oil .... water will be a piece of cake .... just don't use too much of it .... like i said less than a drop .. good luck ...