PDA

View Full Version : Not for the faint of heart...RIP ///MZ3

GimpZ3
06-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Hey all,

I don't post here much, but since it's a local forum, I thought i'd share my experience.

Although I'm still feeling sore from where the seat belt held me back and the 3 staples in my head are causing constant headaches, I'm more traumatically affected. I don't feel comfortable around automobiles at all...hopefully that will subside sooner or later.

Here's the links to the pics (don't click on the interior pic if u can't stand the sight of blood):

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ilam/deadmz3/deadmz3.htm

Apparently, I can grab items from the car, but I have no idea what's valuable. Maybe the changer? shiftknob?

Nevertheless, enjoy your cars and drive safe.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ilam/poorcar/IMG_0373.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ilam/poorcar/IMG_0370.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ilam/poorcar/IMG_0366.jpg

rollee
06-23-2004, 07:31 PM
hope you'll recover soon.
what happened? its a head-on is it?

Quack
06-23-2004, 07:41 PM
glad you are ok, from the look of the damage I'm suprised that you didn't get severe neck trauma

SickFinga
06-23-2004, 07:44 PM
holy shit, what happened?

GimpZ3
06-23-2004, 07:48 PM
First...I dunno why the steering wheel airbag didn't deploy. That really scares me.

In short, I was driving from TO to windsor, and at that time, the sun was setting. I was severely blinded, and I lost my orientation...the rear tires hit the rumble strip and gravel, I lost traction and skidded from the leftest most lane to the guard rail in the slow lane. There was no speeding as I was cruise controlling it at 100km/h.

RWD and gravel don't mix.....it happened all so quickly, and I don't know what I coulda done to prevent it except for pulling over.

Nevertheless, lesson learned.

Quack
06-23-2004, 07:53 PM
same thing happened to me with my last car, Lexus LS400 RWD, but instead of the sun blinding me it was a Ford Explorer cutting me off, I had to go on the left side shouder which was full of sand & gravel to avoid collision, spun out, t-boned a minivan and ended up on the far right lane, air bags didn't go off either

SpudBoy
06-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash:(

Save the seats, motor, exhaust and trim parts that aren't too damaged.

Then buy another*th-up*

Understated
06-23-2004, 08:54 PM
AWWW shiat...sorry to hear about this man.

looks like a previously MINT ///m roadster..especially with that estoril paint and 2tone interior :(

but the important part is okay, and take your time to get comfortable driving again...

ROBM3
06-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey Ian ! Thanks to god you are alright man.

I myself got into a lil accident with a guardrail with my crx 3 weeks ago. Luckily I wasnt going too fast . And I got most of my money back from teh parts of the car ! :)

here's some pics:

Click here for pics (http://www.torontocivics.com/tccforums/showthread.php?threadid=54644)

WASABI
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Oh dayem ! Sorry to hear that Ian, at least you're okay and didn't hit anyone else.

qimis
06-24-2004, 08:52 AM
glad you're okay

btw, does your car has xenon ? i saw the same Z3 around the riverside and university driving around couple weeks ago. was it you ?

JazzM
06-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Most improtant that you're ok... its tough to overcome this insecurity once you've been in an accident. My mother rolled our minivan going 80km/h due to black ice on the highway. it all happens in an instant. I think the best thing to do is just to let it go rather than pondering about what you could have and should have done. Good luck!

T.

EricE330ci
06-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Holy !@#$%....

Glad that you survived but why the hell didn't the airbags deploy???? Look at the damage at the front end. They should have gone off.

Gianpaolo_E46
06-24-2004, 10:32 AM
yea the front airbags should have gone off, but thats a bmw defect that you should tell them about, there are lawsuits that have been won because of the front airbag not deploying. but ur ok thats important

A~G
06-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Thats freakin' crazy. good to see ur okay.... hope this doesn't turn u off of bimmers.

+ if you bought the car brand new... you should have a case against BMW since the airbags didn't deploy ... WTF you pay $80,000 for a vehicle and no airbags!!!

golden
06-24-2004, 01:00 PM
i crashed my m coupe, looks almost just like yours

good your not that injured, i was in the hospital for a week!

Miguel
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
good to see that you are ok.
that interior pic is pretty crazy.

InfinitiStyle
06-24-2004, 01:59 PM
#$(@*#&$)@#$&)@#($*!!!!!
oh my god.
Glad to hear your ok man! That is one scary crash *sad*
You should report this to BMW because i bet the damage to yourself would have been less if the airbag deployed.

crusher
06-24-2004, 02:42 PM
sorry to hear about your accident. get better soon and find another ///M

Gamite
06-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Ian, holy shit, thank god you're ok. I covered my mouth when I saw all the blood in the interior.

You could probably save your wheels, they look like they're in ok condit.

rollee
06-24-2004, 04:14 PM
you will drive again. it's right not to think of this too much. lets all go for a beer.

DunDan
06-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Ian,

Holy crap! Hope you're okay dude. When did this happen?

GimpZ3
06-24-2004, 05:38 PM
jasper thanks man...I'm also glad I didn't take anyone out as well.

qimis yeah, that was me. I just finished off the ECE Valeo xenon retrofit on my headlights...I had them on for about a week before this happened.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ilam/xenoninstalled/index.htm

The car is now at Windsor Body & Fender on University.

jazzM Thanks for the advice. I hope I do get over this hurdle soon. BTW, don't sell your car! I also noticed that you're looking for a low mileage 3.2L ///M motor....mine is, but I dunno if it's ok. I can give try to find out where the car is going, and let u know.

eric330ci yeah...i'm still shocked the airbags didn't go off...oh well, I guess it's b/c of the Z3's longass front end LOL..but seriously, if I suffered more serious injuries, I'd be pissed.

Tdotbimmer, thanks for the vote of confidence.

crusher take good care of the mcoupe...it's a safe car!

julian I don't think I can take anything that is functionally a part of the car...the ins. co now owns it. I was only allowed to take my personal belongings and that's it.

dundun I'm doing okay, but these staples in my head are irritating! I totalled the car this past sunday driving to windsor from TO after father's day.

Justin e36
06-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Bro.. glad you're okay. Damage looks bad. Airbags did not deploy because you didn't hit the brakes (I don't know what the % is for Z3) while you made the impact. Just a collision will not deploy the airbags on all cars... unless the computer believes it is an emergency situation. (slamming on brakes + impact).. I believe some cars also check to feel is the seatbelt locks first too. Send BMW a letter in the mail, they'll provide details.

qwk325
06-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Holy cow !!!!!!! that is crazy thank god you are ok , judging by the pics its a miracle you were not hurt more severely than you were. Goodluck on finding a new ride.