PDA

View Full Version : Big bore throttle Body

Sylak
06-22-2004, 04:44 PM
hi, I heard that boring out the M20 t.Body is a good mods, not adding much power, but helping the engine a little bit.
So my questions is
1- do you think is good?
2- how do a do that , myself or i can buy a throttle body already bore from a perfomance parts seller?
3 - how much can it cost?

chromius
06-22-2004, 05:45 PM
1. good for throttle response, but will add little or no power, due to the restrictive AFM, if you can find one cheap, or can do it yourself, then go for it....but don't spend a lot, unless you plan to do other upgrades to the intake system.

2. You can buy bored out TB's but they are expensive, doing it yourself is possible, but not easy, because you will need to custom make a new throttle plate, and you have to be very percise about clearances etc....not worth the time in my opinion.

3. take a look around at different shops, but I would say average probably around $300-400

if you really want to do it, take it to a reputable machine shop and get them to work it for you...but it will still be an expensive job, for not really any gains, unless you swap out your AFM for a MAF...hope this helps:)

bmdoubleya
06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
1. good for throttle response, but will add little or no power, due to the restrictive AFM, if you can find one cheap, or can do it yourself, then go for it....but don't spend a lot, unless you plan to do other upgrades to the intake system.

2. You can buy bored out TB's but they are expensive, doing it yourself is possible, but not easy, because you will need to custom make a new throttle plate, and you have to be very percise about clearances etc....not worth the time in my opinion.

3. take a look around at different shops, but I would say average probably around $300-400

if you really want to do it, take it to a reputable machine shop and get them to work it for you...but it will still be an expensive job, for not really any gains, unless you swap out your AFM for a MAF...hope this helps:)

Everything he said.*th-up* Again with the knowledge

Sylak
06-22-2004, 06:20 PM
thank you! quick anwser i like that héhé
when you talk about Air flow meter to mass air flow.. you speak about putting a E36 MAF ? :)

chromius
06-22-2004, 11:23 PM
yes I think you could use one from an e36....but not 100% sure. You just have to swap out the electronics so that it wouldn't mess up the reading going to your ECU. If I remember correctly there are a few different model bimmers that you can use to do the swap, as long as the board etc, are switched over....or you can get an aftermarket one, but I think you are looking at big bucks for that option, however you get other things like varriable fuel map controllers and such. like the one from split second, but the $800+ is a little too much in my opinion.:)

bmdoubleya, I saw you going through timmies on saturday...you should have stopped by.:)