PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaner - whats good

Bill Gates
06-19-2002, 01:12 AM
Hey Guys,

i was thinking of cleaning under the hood, just because i haven't done it since i bought her. did a search on the forum but found nothing... i read on another forum if you water the engine down, you may get electronic issues, so i want to make sure i don't damage anything.

i was just going to buy engine degreaser from crappy tire and just wipe everything down. any suggestions on what solution i should use.

Thanks.

Gamite
06-19-2002, 01:46 AM
My engine is really REALLY dirty, I'm just going to take it to a pro to detail it, only $30

KIRASIR
06-19-2002, 09:40 AM
I just did mine at Fine Detailers (Langstaff & 400) 35 bucks and they even hand washed my car. I've never seen my engine so clean.

Serge

Bill Gates
06-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Fine Detailers it is... i didn't know they did that kind of service.

beats me getting all dirty! :)

EMPOWERD
06-19-2002, 12:33 PM
Don't waist your money.... do it yourself. I've got friend's that work at detail shops and they all laugh when people come in and pay for it because it's so easy.

The strongest shit on the market is Castrol's Super Clean, but don't go ballistic with it because it'll even stain the aluminum on your head and dry out all the rubber hoses.

Make sure your K&N filter is covered up and the ignition coil (not on your car), AFM and fuse box are all covered too. Don't do it with a hot motor either. For best results, dilute the Super Clean with 30% water and spray that on the cold motor (in the shade too). Try not to get too much overspray on your painted fenders Let it sit on there for about 5 mins and then spray it off with a garden hose (not a pressure washer). The really stubborn spots need 100% degreaser on them, maybe a tooth brush scrub and repeat applications without it sitting there for more than 1 min.

The key to a clean engine bay is the detail after the degreasing stage. Take a rag and soak it with Armour All and go over everything so you have a nice shiney layer of protectant on the dry hoses.

Good luck.*th-up*

Jesse
06-19-2002, 01:04 PM
Don't pay for it... big waste.

Just go to Canadian Tire and pick up some engine degreasser + finish - like 7 bucks. Big orange cans in the car care section. Just spray on the degreasser, let it sit for 20 mins, wash it off with a hose and let it dry with the engine running for about 10 mins, then spray the finish on... really easy.

Here is a pic of my engine right after I did it on a wonderful Sat. with nothing but me & my car (oh yeah and a beer) :P

Jesse

Jesse
06-19-2002, 01:05 PM
2nd pic

Bill Gates
06-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Jesse: your engine bay looks mint! thats exactly how mine will look when i'm done with her.

Thanks empowerd & Jesse, i'm gonna take your advice and pick up some supplies at crappy tire and spend some quality time and bond with my car. *th-up*

vodomagoo
06-20-2002, 12:58 AM
the castrol stuff rocks, spent liek 4 hours doing my engine bay before hin last week, came out amazing i sat and sprayed it on then brushed it and then rinsed it off with a spray bottle, to finish it i took armorall and sprayed the engine after taking like a 10 min drive and let it sit over night, next day took a rag and wiped it down, came out amazing nice shine to it. then i used griots liquid wax and there small red applicator and a mf towel and waxed it, lets just say i am very very very happy with the results*th-up*

DunDan
05-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Simple Green sucks for engine bay cleaning. I spent the afternoon hosing my engine compartment down and scrubbing the shit out of it and it's still dirty. I'm going to try the Canadian Tire stuff tommorrow.

6piston
05-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Simple green is nice.
but whatever u do, do it with a cool engine.
if not, most degreser will leave a shitty white stain cos it dried too fast due to the heat.

but cleaning the engine bay of the newer cars with those twin cam engines are easy..

cleaning M20 alike is TEDIOUS.
there so many parts exposed and sharp edges....

but E30's engine gets dirty too fast..

LukeE30IX
05-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Yes it does, I have a 89 325iX and the engine is all oxidized and shitty looking, I am waiting for the perfect day to degrease my engine, it been raining lately. I started sanding the Valve cover and next is paint. I have 2 months to do this shit.

Jesse
05-20-2003, 02:49 PM
hmm... well since this thread has reappeared from the darkness I guess I should give a little update...

FYI - my engine does not look like this anymore, LOL :P

The spray-on shining stuff looks good for a month or two but then, as it dries, it starts to crack around the wires/tubes and looks pretty awful. The other thing is, if you drive in dusty/sandy areas a lot I wouldn't recommended the shiny stuff - as the engine heats up it becomes sticky and the sand sticks to it like glue.

I think I'm going to use the degreaser this summer to clean it up again but no engine shine this time.

Jess

magnus
05-20-2003, 04:40 PM
I agree in the fact of spending money to get your engine cleaned being a silly idea! However i have found that the best thing to use is diesel. Firts however use any decreaser to remove grind. Wash it of and then using compresed air fill a can of diesel and spray all over the engine. let it soak and then jetwash it off. I think this will give the required results and also lubricate all hoses. However make sure it does not go on the windscreen or the paint work as it is a bastard to take off!

FastM3
05-20-2003, 06:22 PM
I got all the greasy shit (the rust protector i think) all over the side of the frame near the engine, is it ok to take it off to make it look like Jesse's car?

slemmer
05-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by magnus
I agree in the fact of spending money to get your engine cleaned being a silly idea! However i have found that the best thing to use is diesel. Firts however use any decreaser to remove grind. Wash it of and then using compresed air fill a can of diesel and spray all over the engine. let it soak and then jetwash it off. I think this will give the required results and also lubricate all hoses. However make sure it does not go on the windscreen or the paint work as it is a bastard to take off!

Really? Doesn't the use of Diesel leave a strong smell afterwards?

sonic07
05-21-2003, 12:31 PM
diesel .... turn on your vent inside the car then you feel like a trucker .... lol ...

magnus
05-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Well if you are dumb enough not to steam wash it afterwards yes it will!! But remember that the diesel will evaporate once the engine gets hot enough while the engine will be a gem! Plus there is no fear of damaging any electrical connections and no corrosion as it acts as a lubricant! Now all you have to do is be thorough and put up with the smell for a couple of days!!! The result was so good in my case that this was the only way i would trust!