PDA

View Full Version : Crank case ventilation

chromius
06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Alright, I took off my throttle body last night, and it is covered in sludge from the oil vapor from the ventilation tube comming from the valve cover, also the intake manifold.

So does anyone know if there is a problem with removing that tube and replacing it with one of those mini filters, to prevent that sludge from going into the intake.

Or does the engine require the vacume from the intake to vent the crank case?

Spaz
06-11-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
Alright, I took off my throttle body last night, and it is covered in sludge from the oil vapor from the ventilation tube comming from the valve cover, also the intake manifold.

So does anyone know if there is a problem with removing that tube and replacing it with one of those mini filters, to prevent that sludge from going into the intake.

Or does the engine require the vacume from the intake to vent the crank case?

anwsered your own question there man....try to let your engine run with out the dipstick in and/or the oil cap on.....it won't therfore you can't use one of those filters.

hth

-cam

chromius
06-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Spaz
anwsered your own question there man....try to let your engine run with out the dipstick in and/or the oil cap on.....it won't therfore you can't use one of those filters.

hth

-cam

The vacume is not created in the crank case, pressure is created in the crank case, and it needs to vent somewhere, and for emmision control it is vented into the intake manifold which is under vacume, my question was will the crank vent if it is not being pulled out by the vacume....Which I have discovered will work fine, because on e30's the pcv tube enteres the throttle body before the throttle plate therefore it is working like a pcv valve in a sense, in which it slows down crank ventilation when under high vacume, and the opisite is true when the throttle is open, and the intake is under low vacume...so therefore it does not require vacume to vent properly, same as a system with a pcv valve. I switched it over last night, and so far it works wonderfully...:) But thanks for your help.

bmdoubleya
06-11-2004, 06:26 PM
:eek: :confused:

Wow man tell me this in dumb terms...Please

chromius
06-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by bmdoubleya
:eek: :confused:

Wow man tell me this in dumb terms...Please

If you are comming to luskville tommorow, I can show you.:)

The Sly
06-12-2004, 10:44 AM
You can add a filter at the end of the hose from the crankcaseor at the crankcase but you will need to block it at the throttle body...SO you don't create a vacuum or air leak and get your car to run lean....

This will cause extra air going in but is not monitored by the AFM...Just bock it at the Throttle body

chromius
06-20-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by The Sly
You can add a filter at the end of the hose from the crankcaseor at the crankcase but you will need to block it at the throttle body...SO you don't create a vacuum or air leak and get your car to run lean....

This will cause extra air going in but is not monitored by the AFM...Just bock it at the Throttle body

Yeah, I took care of that, just capped it off. I'm just gonna have to find some way to route the filter under the car, cuz the smell isn't the greatest, smells like an old 60's muscle car:D