PDA

View Full Version : Car is Running Hot?? help me out

bmdoubleya
06-08-2004, 02:50 AM
Its been a 3/4 temp so just over half ever since I draged it last week. I have lowest possible thermostat in there all the fluids are good..

I think I smell coolant but I could be crazy..

What other problems could it be besides coolant leaking out some where??

T.Dot_E30
06-08-2004, 03:05 AM
fan clutch? have it checked out i guess. Have u changed ur waterpump lately?

Jordan
06-08-2004, 04:02 AM
In the 3+ years I have been part of the online e30 community I have never ever seen anyone have more problems with their e30 then bmdoubleya here. Seems every other day he is posting about something else that is malfunctioning etc.

Just an observation.

Quack
06-08-2004, 04:16 AM
guess he bought a lemon :D

///m powered
06-08-2004, 08:07 AM
or maybe it was drivin like it was stolen by the previous owner anddidnt think an e30 would last as long as they do! :)

chromius
06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
If its getting hot while in traffic, or on slow speed drives, like under 30km/h then chances are its your fan clutch...if its still overheating while cruising above 40km/h then chances are your thermostat is sticking, or water pump impellers are shot. or the rad is clogged, but that is less likely. Cuz above around 40km/h the fan is just freewheeling anyway cuz there is enough airflow over the rad at those speeds....in fact on hot days you should be able to hear the fan spinning faster as you accel from a stop...it sounds like a friggin vacume cleaner.:D

chromius
06-09-2004, 02:33 AM
Actually if it makes you feel any better, on the drive home from work today while in traffic, my temp started to climb...but was fine when I started moving, so it looks like my fan clutch is going too.*mumble* ...hey maybe we can get a discount if we order two:D

bmdoubleya
06-09-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
If its getting hot while in traffic, or on slow speed drives, like under 30km/h then chances are its your fan clutch...if its still overheating while cruising above 40km/h then chances are your thermostat is sticking, or water pump impellers are shot. or the rad is clogged, but that is less likely. Cuz above around 40km/h the fan is just freewheeling anyway cuz there is enough airflow over the rad at those speeds....in fact on hot days you should be able to hear the fan spinning faster as you accel from a stop...it sounds like a friggin vacume cleaner.:D

I am down to the thermostat.. or:huh?: Maybe my temp gauge in the cluster??? The water pump is 2 years old should still be good..

It's mostly getting hot under 40km but never goes past 3/4 temp..

chromius
06-09-2004, 03:01 AM
hummm...could be the thermostat...but I think on the newer thermostats they have a failsafe that makes it open fully when they fail...so the car should get colder....You could always try and check the fan. When the engine is hot turn it off and try and turn the fan by hand, it should have a fair amount of resistance, if it freewheels then the fan clutch is shot. If not I would put my money on the thermostat....Hopefully its the thermo cuz its cheaper:)

hammoj28
06-09-2004, 10:15 PM
The problem could be a cylinder head gasket leaking water??? My temperature gauge goes awol at the moment. One minute it's normal then red hot and then cold. Wierd!!

aascenzi
06-11-2004, 05:34 PM
My car's been doing the same thing! Last week I changed the T-stat and the sensor, and it was fine, this week its running hot again. I'm going to change the T-stat once more cuz clutch-fan is working.

bmdoubleya you're not alone!

Slowered318
06-11-2004, 05:42 PM
A lot of the time the E30 heat guage will screw up and jump arount.. the only way to truely find out is a lasor heat sensor (can't remember the name of it) but you point it anywhere in the motor and it tells you exactly how hot it is.. great for finding out if you have bad coolant circulation, friction and other heat problems in the motor. these are a must have for any "REAL" performance shop so ask around.

i've never had a heat problem since i replaced my thermostat, washed my rad (inside and out) and removed the a/c rad and fan.. she gets so much cold air i don't even need the fan when the car is moving.

Keeping your engine clean from top to bottom helps with the disipation of heat too. dirt and depris act like insolation expcially in the radiator.

Make shure you fan shroud is installed properly.. this will help pull cool air through the rad and not just cycle it in your engine bay.

Also try replacing the antifreeze... your could be old and have the wrong PH.. remember water transfers heat better then glucose and other additives.

good luck

ps.. you could always pop the hood, zip tie it down in front of the windshield and use the ram air hood scoop option found on all E30's :) LOL

bmdoubleya
06-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Slowered318
A lot of the time the E30 heat guage will screw up and jump arount.. the only way to truely find out is a lasor heat sensor (can't remember the name of it) but you point it anywhere in the motor and it tells you exactly how hot it is.. great for finding out if you have bad coolant circulation, friction and other heat problems in the motor. these are a must have for any "REAL" performance shop so ask around.

i've never had a heat problem since i replaced my thermostat, washed my rad (inside and out) and removed the a/c rad and fan.. she gets so much cold air i don't even need the fan when the car is moving.

Keeping your engine clean from top to bottom helps with the disipation of heat too. dirt and depris act like insolation expcially in the radiator.

Make shure you fan shroud is installed properly.. this will help pull cool air through the rad and not just cycle it in your engine bay.

Also try replacing the antifreeze... your could be old and have the wrong PH.. remember water transfers heat better then glucose and other additives.

Well its been confirmed my Fan clutch is not working very well very little power...:( I have been quoted 150 for parts and 30 minutes labour... how's that??

I should get a fan shroud to cause I haven't had one for years but stays under half temp without it..

Has anyone used redline water wetter ???

Has anyone ever presure washed there engine??.. I am to afraid I know to avoid the fuse box and alternator and other areas but still to much stress..

bmdoubleya
06-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Another thing?? Is running at 3/4 temp for long periods of time bad for the engine??

chromius
06-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Man thats a pretty good price...where did you go for that?

Whats a redline water wetter?

I have heard from a few people that pressure washing an m20 engine isn't good, cuz the electronics on our cars don't like water too much, but I havent tried it so I don't know.

And I think as long as you didn't actually hit the red mark on the guage you should be fine...but I would keep a close eye on things for a while just to make sure nothing happend to the cylinder walls, or bearings....I would say if the car starts running weird or you get some funny noises, have it checked.:)

bmdoubleya
06-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Man thats a pretty good price...where did you go for that?

Whats a redline water wetter?

I have heard from a few people that pressure washing an m20 engine isn't good, cuz the electronics on our cars don't like water too much, but I havent tried it so I don't know.

And I think as long as you didn't actually hit the red mark on the guage you should be fine...but I would keep a close eye on things for a while just to make sure nothing happend to the cylinder walls, or bearings....I would say if the car starts running weird or you get some funny noises, have it checked.:) Duss belive it or not.. Rudy knew what it was in ten seconds..

The water wetter is spose to drop the engine 10 degrees with mix of water and a little coolant..

ara325
06-12-2004, 09:40 AM

That what that sound is? My car's been doing it for years, and i'm not complaining 'cause i love that sound, especially when you hear it on dumptrucks etc.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice*th-up*

chromius
06-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bmdoubleya
Duss belive it or not.. Rudy knew what it was in ten seconds..

The water wetter is spose to drop the engine 10 degrees with mix of water and a little coolant..

Wow...I'm surprised. it always seems that he is more expensive than most places...but I think thats a pretty good deal. I might just have to hit that up.*th-up*

chromius
06-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ara325
That what that sound is? My car's been doing it for years, and i'm not complaining 'cause i love that sound, especially when you hear it on dumptrucks etc.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice*th-up*

Same here, it takes some getting used to, but after a while it groes on ya.:)

burnhard88
06-12-2004, 12:10 PM
i think i have that sound as well in my civic... even tho it's an auto... sounds like it's turbocharged... :P...

*uzi*

snd84318i
06-22-2004, 06:44 AM
i got a temp guage like this one very cheap (under30bucks)