PDA

View Full Version : New confirmed facts about E60 M5 !!!

AMG_POWER
06-05-2004, 02:13 PM
There was a 4 page article about the M5 in Autovisie, a Dutch car magazine.
Sorry I don't have a scan but there's nothing new to see anyway.

The magazine has a website which features a movie of the M5 driving on a frozen lake. www.autovisie.nl The code you have enter is:001837635.

Here are some interesting details on the engine:
- 90 degree V10 4 valve's (duh)
- The maximum torque of 500Nm is available over the first half of the engines peak revs.
- The engine uses "dry sump" lubrication wich allows BMW to place the V10 lower and further back in the chassis than the 6 & 8 cilinder models. This lowers the center of gravity of the entire car.
- According to a BMW spokesman the engine is of a very special breed and the engine uses uses a few "tricks" to be able to reach amazing peak revs.
- 0-100km/hr 4,7 sec. 0-190km/hr 12,7 sec.
- 7 gear SMG with 11 modes of which 5 auto to choose from.
- Manual transmission will be available later, BMW is studying the use of DSG (double clutch) technology.

Other features.
- Rear differential, Traction system and DSC are all much improved versions of what is available know.
- The cars platform has changed dramaticly and the suspension uses components of the 7-series.
- 50/50 weight ratio.
- Estimated weight 1780 kilo's.
- Total new suspension and subframes developed at the Nordschleiffe. The M5 features a wider footprint and leightweight suspension components.
- There's a new version of active steering available that gives more feeling to the steering.
- All body changes (except the air-outlets in the fenders) are wind-tunnel designed and are there for a purpose.
- The diffusor at the rear allows for hot air to be drawn away from the rear diff.
- Aparantly there are no other mirrors on the M5 than on a normal E60

Introduction:
- Paris auto show.
- Production starts in August 2004.
- No touring version available.
- First delivery for the Netherlands early 2005.
- In the Netherlands the M5 will be at laest 15.000 more expensive than the previous M5.

That's all I have to for know, hope you'll enjoy reading and that there's some good news in there.

If any of you has troubles reading my translation please let me know and I will try to modify the text.

sounds intresting eh?
*th-up*

Soldo
06-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Sounds like its gonna be a PIMP ASS RIDE!

But i got a question, whats the point of avoiding a syncronized manual transmission?? Why would they make it a double-cluth tranny??

I know its more 'RACE' oriented, but i mean c'mon, thats a bit TOO fast & the furious, NO??
Someone help me out here, if you loose a race in the M5 it'll be cause "you were granny shifting, not double-clutchin like you shoulda!"

AMG_POWER
06-05-2004, 03:33 PM
dunno i think it's still gonna be faster shifts... faster than in smg II.

HooliGaN*
06-05-2004, 03:43 PM
interesting cant wait to see the car in person no doubt

Soldo
06-05-2004, 04:06 PM
How would double clutching be faster than SMG II??

Isn't SMG II the fastest shifting clutchless tranny in the world next to F1 cars??

And manual cannot be shifted faster than SMG, am i right?

Just curious, thats all!

AMG_POWER
06-05-2004, 05:26 PM
THEY said that smg3 will be faster and more sophisticated than smg2 dunno, we'll see.... but 0-190km/hr 12,7 sec is pretty impresive isnt it.

takeshi
06-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
How would double clutching be faster than SMG II??

Isn't SMG II the fastest shifting clutchless tranny in the world next to F1 cars??

And manual cannot be shifted faster than SMG, am i right?

Just curious, thats all!

bmw isn't that good... from what I heard the enzo has the fastest gearbox at 0.618 seconds, probably the 360cs will be somewhere between that and smg's 0.8 seconds

ROCKETMAN
06-05-2004, 07:50 PM
I didnt read the whole thig so i might have missed something, but from what i saw, the new M5 isnt any quicker than the previous one. Is thisa true. 0-100km/h in 4.7?

AMG_POWER
06-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by ROCKETMAN
I didnt read the whole thig so i might have missed something, but from what i saw, the new M5 isnt any quicker than the previous one. Is thisa true. 0-100km/h in 4.7?

well the old one was rated 5.3 i belive from BMW.... so this one is gonna be - 0.2 0.3 quicker.... same as benz E55 its rated 4.7 and it sprints 4.2 4.3 0-100.... also depends on weather and so on.

tifosi
06-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ROCKETMAN

manufacture's claim is ALWAYS very conservative.

gotta wait for R&T or C&D for their result. usually their time are much faster.

alexm520
06-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by AMG_POWER
well the old one was rated 5.3 i belive from BMW.... so this one is gonna be - 0.2 0.3 quicker.... same as benz E55 its rated 4.7 and it sprints 4.2 4.3 0-100.... also depends on weather and so on.

I believe the current E39 M5 is around 5 sec..... because there was a big debate if E46 M3 (rated 4.8-5sec) is faster than M5.

From M5 Board: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41166&highlight=0-60

" Re: 2006 M5 on cover of latest Autoweek!

Est. 0-60 in 4.7 sec . . .
This "might" be slow, but the article indicates that it should be .6 faster than the E39 M5. Now that is fast!

Some magazines put the E39 0-60 at 4.8 . . . Hopefully, the new published time will be closer to 4.0 to 4.2! oohhh:"

".. 0-60 not a very good measure for any M5 because of launch problems and tires -- since it's not practical to put tires on the M5 proportional to the weight i don't see the E60 as significantly superior to the E39 except for high speed in-gear acceleration (higher speeds than most of us will risk our licenses for) -- note that torque is not much different "

AlexM520