PDA

View Full Version : wtf duty charge??

SebSter
06-04-2004, 07:52 PM
ok I ordered my shocks from bavauto, came up to about 370 cad.. today they came but i was sleeping so ups left a sticky on the door

at the bottom circled it says:

Brokerage C.O.D. due $111.40

wtf!! is that the duty charges I have to pay??, thats like 33% of the total price, thats bullshit

qimis
06-04-2004, 08:03 PM
usually they charge you:

15% GST + PST
7% duty (if the item was not made in the USA)

85eta
06-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Yep, shipping from the states is a bitch that way

Antz_Marchin
06-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Hey man, yeah it's brutal. Brokerage is not actually all buty but a bullshit extra that UPS adds to all their cross-border shipments, that apparently USPS and FedEx do not so I hear. I bought a $1000 US guitar fomr Cali and had it sent over. Even had her mark it as a gift since it was used. I got a bill for $262 in brokerage B.S. and not even half of it was duty apparently but UPS's handling fees for doing cross-border paperwork and stuff. It's complete bullshit.....always request to ship non-UPS cross-border but a place like BavAuto where they will be getting a discount on hihg volume shipping through UPS, you're stuck.

328is_Perf
06-04-2004, 08:58 PM
thats why you live in the USA... or you get one to hook u up

BMWF1
06-04-2004, 09:25 PM
i love going to U in the states, i said good bye to paying bullshit like that years ago

SickFinga
06-04-2004, 09:31 PM
So BMWF1, if we need shit shipped from US, you are our man?

BMWF1
06-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
So BMWF1, if we need shit shipped from US, you are our man?

if you feel like driving over to my buddys house and picking it up, i don't mind and he doesn't care either,,its about 5 hour drive for u guys

STALKER
06-04-2004, 09:33 PM
I try to always get my stuff Fedex, they are faster too. I bought a Rasp X midpipe last week, was shipped out on Tuesday from Illinois and delivered today.

SickFinga
06-04-2004, 09:35 PM
yeah USPS and FedEx is the only way to go.

If you ship UPS from states, prepare to be rapped.

T.Dot_E30
06-04-2004, 09:35 PM
yup i heard ups is a real bitch....if u had it shipped USPS or something like that it woulda been less than half that...so i hear

This is the reason why i dont buy things from the states

BMWF1
06-04-2004, 10:17 PM

its very easy, to get around taxes, you can declare full value of itme and put on forum

"Return of Canadian goods to shipper"

Then your set *th-up*

not 100% full proof, but thats what i use to do and worked every time

M3Turboca
06-05-2004, 04:19 AM
That is why shipping from the US if you use UPS they will rape you.

Once they pay the taxes for you etc then they add on the handling charges and that is a Bull Shit charge can add up to another 10-15% or flat fee to a certain amount.

STALKER
06-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Mind you, some things are still way cheaper in the states, even if you ship with UPS. High end rims and max performancec tires for example.

Mystikal
06-05-2004, 06:35 PM
I paid about the same for my Ground Control stuff, but that was $500USD worth of stuff. Sucks to be you.

Manimillion
06-06-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by 328is_Perf
thats why you live in the USA...

I could write quite a few stuff about that comment but I rather not be banned from here.

sonic07
06-06-2004, 05:29 AM

that's absolutely, i just got some shipment the other day and the guy over at U.S recommend me to have it ship by United State Postal Service (USPS) because of the duty tax. mind you that it took like 2 weeks for the stuff to get here but the good thing was NO TAX and NO DUTY.

sonic07
06-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by BMWF1
its very easy, to get around taxes, you can declare full value of itme and put on forum

"Return of Canadian goods to shipper"

Then your set *th-up*

not 100% full proof, but thats what i use to do and worked every time

yup that would work .... did that.
or
after receiving the stuff .... call ups and tell them over the phone that you're returning the stuff because it's the wrong parts or defective, make sure they record it in and ask for her or his name, they will try to make you pay for the gst and pst because you suppose to collect it back from the government but refuse it because it'll take months before you get it back you know how the government works. if must then tell him that you will apply with the form and if you get the money and you will send it to them. if you have to show the bill of lading that you're returning it back then send it back to bavauto in the box with the same or close to amount of weight .... you know what i mean it doesn't have to be the same stuff that you received ..... and that's it ... they'll never bug you about the tax or duty money ......

sonic07
06-06-2004, 06:25 AM
refund form

d12
06-06-2004, 07:54 PM
ya bought a player for $500 and when it came the guy tells me "it'll be $160 for shipping, how owuld u like to pay?"..

thats why you gatta make it as a gift..

**** them :mad:

M3speed
06-06-2004, 11:33 PM
canada customs are the worst!! i ordered 10 dvd's from europe and the charged me $50 Cad for taxes and duty!! what a rip off!

SebSter
06-07-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by sonic07
yup that would work .... did that.
or
after receiving the stuff .... call ups and tell them over the phone that you're returning the stuff because it's the wrong parts or defective, make sure they record it in and ask for her or his name, they will try to make you pay for the gst and pst because you suppose to collect it back from the government but refuse it because it'll take months before you get it back you know how the government works. if must then tell him that you will apply with the form and if you get the money and you will send it to them. if you have to show the bill of lading that you're returning it back then send it back to bavauto in the box with the same or close to amount of weight .... you know what i mean it doesn't have to be the same stuff that you received ..... and that's it ... they'll never bug you about the tax or duty money ......

ok so after i pay them the duty charge.. i call them up and tell them im returning it? and i just repackage the box with something else...but what will happen when bavauto gets it and theres nothing in there?

sonic07
06-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
ok so after i pay them the duty charge.. i call them up and tell them im returning it? and i just repackage the box with something else...but what will happen when bavauto gets it and theres nothing in there?

NO, DO NOT pay the duty charge .... call UPS that the products that you received are defective or wrong parts so you are returning them so you should NOT have to pay duty charge and when calling have the invoice duty ready then make sure that they make a note of that. if they insist that you pay the duty charge anyway then you tell them that you will apply for the duty refund (with the form) then tell them that you will pay them with that. that's it. if they send you a follow up invoice, write a note on it that products has been return and send the invoice back somebody will deleted out of the computer. If you want to make it official you can send a box back with what ever in it. all you need is that the bill of lading to prove that you have return the products. when bavauto gets it and they will throw it away.

SebSter
06-09-2004, 06:04 AM
but look i had to pay the charge to get my package otherwise how would i know its "defective".. so now i have my package and i had to pay the guy, so how can i say im returning it i would have to reship it back to bavauto..no?

sonic07
06-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
but look i had to pay the charge to get my package otherwise how would i know its "defective".. so now i have my package and i had to pay the guy, so how can i say im returning it i would have to reship it back to bavauto..no?

darn it, you already went one step beyond .... ok fine ... repackage a box with something in it and to save all the bill of ladings and indicate returning defective automotive parts or wrong parts and just warn bavauto that when they get your parcel to throw it out. use the form above to get your money back but the only problem it will take awhile ... along while ...
I hope the shipment doesn't cost as much as duty .... then it won't be worth while ...

Millad
06-09-2004, 03:30 PM
I have no experience with shipping car items, but I bought about $300 worth of 12" records, and I got charged an $82 Brokerage charge, I called in UPS and yelled for about an hour and they took the charge out.

That might help. Best of Luck

ZiMMie
06-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Millad
I have no experience with shipping car items, but I bought about $300 worth of 12" records, and I got charged an $82 Brokerage charge, I called in UPS and yelled for about an hour and they took the charge out.

That might help. Best of Luck

Hey wat did u say to them??

they want me to pay 84$ on a product that worth $60.

Millad
06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
I told them that it was a gift, and it was for my sick grandmother and the people who shipped it forgot to change some things on the orders. To them it's not worth getting the collection agency or anyone to go after $84 dollars, after I said that, I told them I use UPS to ship all my products and if they charged me with this, I would switch over to FedEX as my main courier. My suggestion is play best of both worlds, play the sympathy card and play the "i'm going to switch over" game.

ZiMMie
06-09-2004, 05:54 PM
am out of luck they told me the person marked the parkage at 475$ so there is no way i can get unless i pay the dutie charges spoke to about 4 different people same shit.. the only way i can get it change is if the shiper fax in a reicept statin that the product its defective or wrong part and that gonna take 3-4 bussiness dayz i guess am gonna pay it and right it off on my taxes any more suggestion??

thanx