PDA

View Full Version : Out of Province Car Purchase

Antz_Marchin
06-03-2004, 03:23 AM
I recently heard (not sure if it's for sure) that in Quebec, you only pay one tax at a used car dealership as if you were buying privately in Ontario. Does anybody know if this is true and if so, can I buy in Quebec, and register the car here in Ontario without any hassles with the second 7%??

Simby
06-03-2004, 05:26 PM
you only pay the applicable taxes in your province. so GST and PST for ON. for AB, we only have to pay GST if we buy from Quebec.

BMW BMXer
06-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Ya you can do it. I got chared Airconditing tax though.

Justin e36
06-03-2004, 06:42 PM
yes... my car's from Montreal.

Quack
06-03-2004, 06:46 PM
when you buy a car here in Ontario in a private sale you don't have to pay GST(7%) but still have to pay the PST

Antz_Marchin
06-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
yes... my car's from Montreal.

Sorry guys I'm not 100% sure that I explained myself correctly. Here's the deal. I know about the Private/Dealer tax situation when buying in Ontario.

If I buy a dealer car from Quebec and they advertise that there is only one tax charged (as in the case of a private sale in Ontario) When I bring this car back to Ontario and register it, am I going to get hit up for extra taxes since the car was actually dealer bought out of province or am I fine with what I have already pain to the dealer.??

Justin, if you bought from a dealer in Montreal you will probably have the best answer, and if your answer was already correct, sorry, I'm just trying to clarify incase I was unclear. Take it easy and thanks for the help everyone.

Antz_Marchin
06-05-2004, 02:49 AM
bumping for more help

MarkD
06-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I would think you will get the best answer in 2 minutes by calling any MOT licsensing office.

Or read here : http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/rgoutcan.htm

for the answer!

MarkD