View Full Version : Out of Province Car Purchase

06-03-2004, 04:23 AM
I recently heard (not sure if it's for sure) that in Quebec, you only pay one tax at a used car dealership as if you were buying privately in Ontario. Does anybody know if this is true and if so, can I buy in Quebec, and register the car here in Ontario without any hassles with the second 7%??

06-03-2004, 06:26 PM
you only pay the applicable taxes in your province. so GST and PST for ON. for AB, we only have to pay GST if we buy from Quebec.

06-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Ya you can do it. I got chared Airconditing tax though.

Justin e36
06-03-2004, 07:42 PM
yes... my car's from Montreal.

06-03-2004, 07:46 PM
when you buy a car here in Ontario in a private sale you don't have to pay GST(7%) but still have to pay the PST

06-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
yes... my car's from Montreal.

Sorry guys I'm not 100% sure that I explained myself correctly. Here's the deal. I know about the Private/Dealer tax situation when buying in Ontario.

If I buy a dealer car from Quebec and they advertise that there is only one tax charged (as in the case of a private sale in Ontario) When I bring this car back to Ontario and register it, am I going to get hit up for extra taxes since the car was actually dealer bought out of province or am I fine with what I have already pain to the dealer.??

Justin, if you bought from a dealer in Montreal you will probably have the best answer, and if your answer was already correct, sorry, I'm just trying to clarify incase I was unclear. Take it easy and thanks for the help everyone.

06-05-2004, 03:49 AM
bumping for more help

06-06-2004, 03:18 PM
I would think you will get the best answer in 2 minutes by calling any MOT licsensing office.

Or read here : http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/rgoutcan.htm

for the answer!