PDA

View Full Version : I hope nobody is out to get me . . .

SkycityBMW
06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Driving home from my girlfriend’s house Sunday nite around 2:00am after going to the drive-in (Shrek 2 very funny!! and some other stupid movie), we drove her car to the drive-in.

Cruz’in home, I took the scenic route didn't want to take freeway just need alone time. . ya know . . I started to feel the rear wheel driver side tire making a humming vibrating noise . . . I'm thinking . . awe man now what.

Aimed my side mirror down to see what was goin on and I noticed the wheel moving . . like a bent rim.

All of a sudden the car stared to wobble BIG TIME. Look at the mirror and the wheel is movin crazy side to side. I was only goin about 35mph/56km/h and slowed down real quick and turned into a parking lot. I got out to check it and thought the something broke lose, tire was right next to the fender. Called my girlfiend to come pick me up cuz I had left my wallet in her car. I called a tow truck. An hour later tow truck comes. He gets there and we look at the wheel with a flash light. I only have 1 lug nut and stud holding on the rim. The other 4 are snapped off. Then the local police officer pulls up and he checks out the situation and starts to ask me if I pissed off anybody or know if I knew anybody that would do this.

Told him no and he stared talking about maybe somebody just want to steal the rims. I said to him. . there just factory rims nothing special. He said you would be surprised.

I got it towed to my mechanic safety. I check it out yesterday during the day. Thankfully the fender was not damaged. Just waiting the mechanic end of the story.

I’m just luck I wasn’t driving home on the freeway doing my usual 80mph/129km/h.

I really hope that nobody was ****in with my car!

Mystikal
06-01-2004, 06:15 PM
BMW's use lug BOLTS, not nuts. Who last mounted your wheels? Were they torqued properly? Hell, I noticed when just 1 of my bolts were loose after going around the block. You should have had plenty of warning if they were just being vibrated loose, this had to be an intentional move.

Get 2 sets of wheel locks and it won't happen again.

SkycityBMW
06-01-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
BMW's use lug BOLTS, not nuts. Who last mounted your wheels? Were they torqued properly?

Mystikal,
Other than my mechanic, nobody else. and that was a couple of weeks ago. My bad . . "BMW's use lug BOLTS, not nuts"

I'll have to get some wheel locks.

Thanks.

Mystikal
06-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah like I was saying about bolts, the cop probably feaked and thought someone actually cut the studs off the hub since they are not there, since he's likely unaware of the bolting setup. Now THAT would look suspicious.

It honestly could just be one wheel the mechanic forgot to tighten properly. Still get locks though, everyone should have them.

EuroSpectacle
06-01-2004, 07:51 PM
if it was one wheels that someone forgot to tighten it would have fallen off as soon as it was off the hoist/jack. i work for a tire place, when yah mess up you know within 35 seconds if you ****ed up. also if they were not tight enough they would have just came out, now breaking in the rotor? thats odd

EuroSpectacle
06-01-2004, 07:52 PM
thought of somthing else, a thief not knowing that bimmers are 17mm lugs, tried to get creative with the tools he had? and stopping after 4 realizing its to ****ing hard?

328is_Perf
06-01-2004, 08:13 PM
hahahahah!!!

Christina
06-01-2004, 08:45 PM
thank god your okay

SkycityBMW
06-01-2004, 08:49 PM
More worried about my fenders than me . . lol

Thanks Christina;)

328is_Perf . . . . whatever . . *uzi*

Christina
06-01-2004, 08:55 PM
i got a flat on the highway once n it was the scariest thing in the world.. n it was when i was in driving skool with my teacher.. n he thought i was jokin around movin the wheel n im like no. n ya. make a long story short it was a flat n the car went crazy n stufff...
so ya
but as long as ur okay :) the fender will be fineeee

Manimillion
06-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Try to use a torque wrench next time you tighten your wheels... Not the first time I've heard something like this happening...

Hohner
06-02-2004, 05:02 AM
I just use my impact wrench, it's a cheap insurance for people not to rip off my rims ... er, I don't have rims. I've got steel things ... ugg...

SkycityBMW
06-02-2004, 01:36 PM
I got it back and it feels brand new . . . .

mechanic checked the rest of the wheels and nothing else loose. I fell better . . . but, gotta get some wheel locks.

Not the first time I've heard something like this happening...

When my mechanic called the stealer to get the lug bolts, they said that this is a common problem. Kinda scarry if this common.

chromius
06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
When they are loose it dosn't nessesairly happen right away, One of my back wheels were not torqued properly and I didn't notice anything wrong, then after a long roadtrip on the freeway at 130km + after about 4 hours of driving, it worked it self loose, and I felt it right away, like a light switch. pulled over, tightned it, and was off.

tatawaki
06-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by robbieosterman
I just use my impact wrench, it's a cheap insurance for people not to rip off my rims ... er, I don't have rims. I've got steel things ... ugg...

I would recommend not using an impact wrench unless you don't care much about your rims, and/or rotors. Best thing to do is Torque to about ~75 ft/lbs.