PDA

View Full Version : Intake setup

Hohner
05-31-2004, 06:39 AM
In my frustration for setting up a proper intake on my M42 engine, I decided to go homemade. Most of the people on this forum will think i'm absolutly insane and stupid, but who knows. I'm still learning from you all, the best people to learn from, but I wanted to share my idea for an intake setup.

What I did:

I took the stock airbox out of the car, unclipped the four clips, and stuffed the 'bottom' part of the box into my trunk for storage. The 'bottom' part includes the hose that connects behind the headlight, and the second half of the box that doesn't connect to the sensor.

The remaining part of the box inside the engine bay ... I flipped it upside down, so that the filter is pointing straight up (it's a K&N filtercharger) and the sensor is facing downward. I made it so the filter stays sealed in, and made it so the half-box stays put without bumping and hitting the alternator. I havn't noticed any performance increase or decrease, my friend who drives my car says he noticed a quicker pickup above 4300RPM ... With this setup, I do get a wonderful intake roar while giving the car full throttle.

I want MaxBimmer's users oppinions on the safety and other comments on my idea that i've been using... thank you.

GusRacer
05-31-2004, 07:07 AM
so you got rid of the bmw cold air intake system...instead to suck hot engine bay air in.....why?

Hohner
05-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Even when you swap out the box for a cone filter, your still sucking in hot air ...

Mystikal
05-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Not if it has a heatsheild.

$20 you're losing power.

redline
05-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Go "all-out" and pull a hose somewhere from the front and lead it to the filter, then make a "cut" or put a small scoop on the bonnet. That should at least bring more cool air to the filter and let out hot air from the enginebay. Just an instant idea..:rolleyes: