PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Steptronic shifting

Simby
05-31-2004, 05:33 AM
Hey people. I need someone to teach me how to drive with steptronic. I have no idea how to drive manual. =(

Considering this is all computerized, by driving with steptronic, is there anyway I could over rev or kill the car?

Is it ok to switch between auto and steptronic while I am driving or should I be stopped when I switch?

Shifting up I guess I don't need too much help with. Switch up at around 2000 to 3000 rpm for casual driving? How high can I go if I want max acceleration? I have a 323. The more important question I have is when to shift down each gear if I am coming to a stop? Say I am in 5th gear and the light is red up ahead.

And the most critical question, do I actually gain much acceleration if I use steptronic?

Anyone taken driving lessons for manual in Edmonton? How was it? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!

///Milk
05-31-2004, 06:17 AM
my E46 (well...my parent's :D) has Steptronic

It isnt possible to bust the engine with steptronic...only if you're outta gears :D, and i think it's possible to bust it if you're in a stand still position and over rev

Pop it into Manual Mode....if u don't shift..it'll shift for you (after it passes redline)...if you're slowing down b4 a red light...i think it downshifts automatically
Manual mode is like SMG w/o Paddle Shifts

If you wanna learn how to use steptronic, go to your dealership and check out one of the cars and act like your gonna buy it and learn how to use the transmission

I'm not really sure if its faster in acceleration compared to a manual E46

A~G
05-31-2004, 06:40 AM
is this like the "tip-tronic" system? just a different name???

are u talking about the transmission that can either be automatic or manual... but the manual has no clutch + is represented on the shifter as a "+" or "-" ?

Simby
05-31-2004, 02:43 PM
ya, tiptronic is the same thing I think, just used by Porsche? every company calls it their own thing. Sport shift is another one, for Kia?

it's the +/- thing but not SMG.

A~G
05-31-2004, 04:19 PM
VolksWagen calls it "tip tronic" ... my dad almost bought a tiptronic Passat. yeah, don't worry about damaging the engine... like Milk said.

Gianpaolo_E46
05-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Simby
Hey people. I need someone to teach me how to drive with steptronic. I have no idea how to drive manual. =(

Considering this is all computerized, by driving with steptronic, is there anyway I could over rev or kill the car?

Is it ok to switch between auto and steptronic while I am driving or should I be stopped when I switch?

Shifting up I guess I don't need too much help with. Switch up at around 2000 to 3000 rpm for casual driving? How high can I go if I want max acceleration? I have a 323. The more important question I have is when to shift down each gear if I am coming to a stop? Say I am in 5th gear and the light is red up ahead.

And the most critical question, do I actually gain much acceleration if I use steptronic?

Anyone taken driving lessons for manual in Edmonton? How was it? Do you recommend it?

Thanks!

There is no way to over rev the engine. In D and DS the computer does all the shifting for you. Once you put it into manual mode you do the shifting, but if the computer get close to the redline it will up shift for you. The only way to disable this is to get an automatic transmission software which will also make your shifts more quick and hard. For max acceleration use either DS or Manual mode because DS will automatically start the car in 1st gear, and with manual mode you can downshift into 1st when the car is completly stopped. When your in D the car will always start in 2nd gear unless you floor it, but it will then downshift into 1st but it will take a few seconds for the computer to make the change so just use manual or DS. No you don't have to downshift when your coming to a stop. You could do it, called engine braking, where you use the lower gears to slow you down but it is not necessary. Once you come to a complete stop (even in manual mode) the computer will auto matically put it into 2nd gear (You have to put it into 1st if you wish). You will gain some accleration in steptronic, but only in DS and Manual mode, regular D will take a few seconds to downshift into 1st., but a manual transmission is always faster than any automatic and steptrionic (minus SMGII) And for your last question, not a lot of us live out in Edmonton so I don;t know about the driving school. I took manual driving lessons from Young Drivers, i believe they are a national driving school? so they might be in edmonton but be prepared to pay $$ for manual young drivers lessons.

hope this answered ur questions

328is_Perf
06-01-2004, 02:55 AM
thats why i got manual... this is sooo complicated...

well my brother has a e36 .... he has the button to change between manual and auto ... but no +/-... how does that work?

BigD
06-01-2004, 03:28 AM
No gain with steptronic, just give people the illusion of control. It's still the same transmission as a regular auto box. You'd get the same if you just moved the stick into the other positions.

SMG is an entirely different ballgame. It's an actual manual transmission, no torque converter, just the box and clutch. Except the clutching and shifting is done hydraulically and is computer controlled. You don't need to worry about moving the stick, clutching or getting the revs right.