PDA

View Full Version : Thats it I'm done!!!!

ierrahh
05-30-2004, 09:02 PM
I've been posting about all of the problems with my car and maybe switching either to an Infinity g35 Coupe or a 330CI with the M pkg.

I just got back from dropping my car off at the dealership off the back of a towing truck. It came off the truck cause it overheated it again!!!!! I am going to flip out on the dealer tommorow, I was just in there last week because it overheated, I was the a week before that for some other stuff, and I just got my car back 4 days ago for changing the rear brake hose.

Just out of spite I never want to but another BM again, everytime I go to fix somthing either they do a shity job or when I get it back there is another problem right away.

What do you guys think I should do, right now I'm pissed so I'll admit there is a chance I would buy another BM but I want to go test the G35 and if I like it, buy it and try and get out of my lease. My other option is obviously to just get the 330...what do I do

Understated
05-30-2004, 09:04 PM
G35

HIM
05-30-2004, 09:11 PM
G35 Coupe is a great car, can't go wrong with it

heres a nice pic of it

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2003/g35sportcoupe/800px/122003g35coupe.jpg

DAM
05-30-2004, 09:12 PM
better get a spoiler

ierrahh
05-30-2004, 09:19 PM
no one is going to try and covince me to stay with BM ?

DrunkFuX
05-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Why don't for a Porsche Carrera 2 or something..

///m powered
05-30-2004, 09:21 PM
are those the only ones your considering?

Jon@Bimmersport
05-30-2004, 09:23 PM
350z lol

ierrahh
05-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I don't want the z, tt, or and audi. I've never driven the g35 but every article I've read said the g35 is as good or better than the 3, and it's like $8000 cheaper fully loaded. I'll know tommorow when I test drive it. Has anybody driven the g35...let me know what you thought

Jordan
05-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Say this with me.... BMW not BM.... BMW

All cars have problems, and one dealership cannot be responsible for a bad name on a entire make of vehicle.

ierrahh
05-30-2004, 09:42 PM
What is the smartest way to get out of my lease?

BigD
05-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Well, I say G35 as well. Or a Honda. BMW are not Hondas. They are not nor have they ever been known as reliable cars. You cannot engineer with performance as your primary concern and not have reliability take a hit. There are two types of BMW owners: those who have taken it up the ass with their car, and those who will. But if you intend to keep your car, I definitely recommend finding a different place to fix your car. Ask your local BMW chapter for the best dealer in your area.

It takes a very specific type of person to appreciate a BMW, through thick and thin and it really sounds like you would be better off with something a little simpler, like a G35. Incidentally, the only reason the 3 series has been losing in comparos is cost and acceleration (using the 325, duh). It is still the undisputed handling king.

Originally posted by ierrahh
What is the smartest way to get out of my lease?

I doubt there is one. Usually dealers just say ok, you can get out of the lease, just pay us the balance! The only time I've ever heard them being even a little lenient is when you buy another car from them, and even then they just decrease how much you owe, and put the rest on the payments of your new purchase.

A~G
05-30-2004, 11:27 PM
How can you tell your car will overheat... i've been driving my p.o.s. mazda around for years now, never once has it overheated... does the oil temp needle indicate this, or does it just stop running or what?

ierrahh
05-30-2004, 11:36 PM
The temp guage is at red and it started smoking through the hood

ierrahh
05-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by BigD
Well, I say G35 as well. Or a Honda. BMW are not Hondas. They are not nor have they ever been known as reliable cars. You cannot engineer with performance as your primary concern and not have reliability take a hit. There are two types of BMW owners: those who have taken it up the ass with their car, and those who will. But if you intend to keep your car, I definitely recommend finding a different place to fix your car. Ask your local BMW chapter for the best dealer in your area.

It takes a very specific type of person to appreciate a BMW, through thick and thin and it really sounds like you would be better off with something a little simpler, like a G35. Incidentally, the only reason the 3 series has been losing in comparos is cost and acceleration (using the 325, duh). It is still the undisputed handling king.

I doubt there is one. Usually dealers just say ok, you can get out of the lease, just pay us the balance! The only time I've ever heard them being even a little lenient is when you buy another car from them, and even then they just decrease how much you owe, and put the rest on the payments of your new purchase.

Does everybody agree with this...I don't know I've only had my car like 13 months but it seems a little rediculous to me. I assumed you get the handling not because they are not reliable but because they cost so god damn much

BigD
05-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Gotta watch that temp gauge always. If your engine stops it's trash - seized. Even if it doesn't and you let it run, it's mostly likely trash or close to it.

Nice gauges actually have temps on the hash marks, so all you gotta find out is the operating temp for your car. Otherwise find out where the needle should be in the range. First thing to do if it starts climbing is to kill all accessories including AC, open all windows and put it on full heat and full blower. This will generally fix it if it's something simple like a dead fan. But if it doesn't go back down or worse keeps climbing, kill it immediately and pull over.

Originally posted by A~G
How can you tell your car will overheat... i've been driving my p.o.s. mazda around for years now, never once has it overheated... does the oil temp needle indicate this, or does it just stop running or what?

BigD
05-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Does everybody agree with this...I don't know I've only had my car like 13 months but it seems a little rediculous to me. I assumed you get the handling not because they are not reliable but because they cost so god damn much

Think about this fact for a second: BMW has never made a single front-wheel drive car, V6 or ever mounted the engine transversally in any car. For instance, a V6 has much less potential of horrible damage upon overheating. But an inline 6 has a very long head and can warp. A V6 is a much smaller engine and especially when mounted transversally with fwd, allows for a lot of design freedom. But do they care? No, because a V6 is not a naturally balanced configuration and fwd cars handle like shit.

ierrahh
05-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Think about this fact for a second: BMW has never made a single front-wheel drive car, V6 or ever mounted the engine transversally in any car. For instance, a V6 has much less potential of horrible damage upon overheating. But an inline 6 has a very long head and can warp. A V6 is a much smaller engine and especially when mounted transversally with fwd, allows for a lot of design freedom. But do they care? No, because a V6 is not a naturally balanced configuration and fwd cars handle like shit.

I don't know that much about cars so forgive the stupid questions but is that to say I will always have problems with BMW's overheating ?

If so what would be so blasfimous about buying the g35, it's rear wheel drive and according to a lot of reviews I've read it handles almost as good as the 330 and accelerates better

Understated
05-31-2004, 12:49 AM
trust me, i've heard NOTHING but great stuff about the g35.

check it out from teh dealer, you will NOT regret getting this vehicle!

BigD
05-31-2004, 12:53 AM
I don't know that much about cars so forgive the stupid questions but is that to say I will always have problems with BMW's overheating ?

No of course not. The mechanic working on your car seems to be as useful as an elevator in an outhouse. What's happening to your car is obviously not normal but as I said, unfortunately happens more often to BMW than to say, Honda. Once you find a competent dealer, your problem will be gone and you may never have another significant problem for as long as you own the car.

If so what would be so blasfimous about buying the g35, it's rear wheel drive and according to a lot of reviews I've read it handles almost as good as the 330 and accelerates better

Absolutely nothing. It's just not a BMW. The G35 handles pretty well, looks pretty good, the interior is pretty nice and it costs less. It's a very sound choice. But since the Isetta, that is something BMW has never been - for some, in a good way, for others, not.

Don't let anyone else influence your decision. If you're happier with the G35, go get one.

ierrahh
05-31-2004, 01:08 AM
No of course not. The mechanic working on your car seems to be as useful as an elevator in an outhouse. What's happening to your car is obviously not normal but as I said, unfortunately happens more often to BMW than to say, Honda. Once you find a competent dealer, your problem will be gone and you may never have another significant problem for as long as you own the car.

Absolutely nothing. It's just not a BMW. The G35 handles pretty well, looks pretty good, the interior is pretty nice and it costs less. It's a very sound choice. But since the Isetta, that is something BMW has never been - for some, in a good way, for others, not.

Don't let anyone else influence your decision. If you're happier with the G35, go get one.

good answer.

Has anybody driven a G35?

daytona
05-31-2004, 03:46 PM
how car owners cannot accept the fact that some luxury cars are **POS**,I've read so many luxury car owners complaining about repairs that has to done to a practically brand new cars and still are so statis envy that they will consider it normal.Not to flame BMW cars in whole but my buddies 2003 X5 4.4i and his cousin 2002 3 series been in the shop more than they like to admit that both of them are already thinking about selling their cars.Guess what brand they are going to get...Lexus,Infinity....I always own german cars never other imports but to be honest the reliablity of BMW,Audi,MB,Vw leaves alot of room for improvement...

BigD
05-31-2004, 05:21 PM
No need to generalize like that. My friends with Audi's and VW's have had no complaints. BMW used to be this way. But I don't know what's going on lately. I think they're trying to put too much shit into the cars to keep up with the gadgetry in the Jap and US cars, who have been doing this for decades. BMW is still high up in the initial build quality list, but this year they were passed by Huynai who have really gotten their shit together.

Originally posted by daytona
how car owners cannot accept the fact that some luxury cars are **POS**,I've read so many luxury car owners complaining about repairs that has to done to a practically brand new cars and still are so statis envy that they will consider it normal.Not to flame BMW cars in whole but my buddies 2003 X5 4.4i and his cousin 2002 3 series been in the shop more than they like to admit that both of them are already thinking about selling their cars.Guess what brand they are going to get...Lexus,Infinity....I always own german cars never other imports but to be honest the reliablity of BMW,Audi,MB,Vw leaves alot of room for improvement...

R_JAY
05-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Did you ever check to see if the cooling system has ever been serviced? Your car looks like a 99 or 2000 and I don't know if you had it since new but if you don't change the coolant every 2 years it'll just start clogging up the rad and eventually overheat when it can't circulate properly. The cooling system is not a complicated as it appears.

The G35 is a sweet car. A friend of mine has one but I wouldn't buy one cause it's just not my style.

chromius
05-31-2004, 05:41 PM
BMW relliablity has definitly been going down over the past few years....however, they are still really well built cars...they just require a little TLC to make sure they continue to run right....e30's engine wise were very reliable the m20's were/are bullet proof....This is why I will probably never buy an e46..but I would buy another e30 or e36. If you like the g35 go for it...but you might be surprised, because every car has its problems, and the g35 won't be an exception to that rule, especially because it is a relativly new model, and long term reliability results have not come in yet. and perhaps you just had bad luck, cuz a lot of people will keep the same car that you have for longer and may never experiance a problem....

so in short, don't dismiss another BMW that easily, cuz you might just be running into the same thing later down the road with another car...

Jase
05-31-2004, 05:44 PM
Just to interject, to get out of a lease you wont break even until half way. Regardless of any problems expect to pay ...lots to get out.

ierrahh
05-31-2004, 06:23 PM
It's weird I was expecting people to tell me that I was unique in having so many prob's but most people just seem to take it in stride. On a brand new E46 I wouldn't expect to have any problems exept maybe a few minor ones...is that rediculous to assume?

Paul540/m3
05-31-2004, 08:51 PM
ierrahh, i have driven the g35 and i must say it is a beautiful car. My one greivance is that it (along with all japanese cars in my opinion) feels, for lack of a better word, "plasticy". What i mean by that is that it does not feel as solid or well built as a german car. Japanese cars are known for their reliability and al,l but i do not think that i would be happy with a g35 simply fot that fact. As well i do not like the interior with the plastic looking dash(still will never be as bad as an american car haha like the vette) but still for the money you are paying i would expect better.
This is just my personal opinon/impression of the car and by no means am i an expert
my $0.02
-Paul

ierrahh
05-31-2004, 09:16 PM
I went today to test drive it and they didn't have one in stock? so I'm going back tommorow....

chromius
05-31-2004, 10:45 PM
It's weird I was expecting people to tell me that I was unique in having so many prob's but most people just seem to take it in stride. On a brand new E46 I wouldn't expect to have any problems exept maybe a few minor ones...is that rediculous to assume?

If I were you...I would think about finding another mechanic, preferably an independant specialized BMW mechanic....A good one will be able to tell you about most problems before they arise. don't turn away from bmw just because of one bad e46.:)

d12
05-31-2004, 11:03 PM
had my 2001 330ci for 6 months now, not a single problem (knock on wood) and I do drive it hard... it's at almost 70,000 now, bought it with 55,000 6 months ago ...

dunno what to tell u, good luck with g35

d12
05-31-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
BMW relliablity has definitly been going down over the past few years....however, they are still really well built cars...they just require a little TLC to make sure they continue to run right....e30's engine wise were very reliable the m20's were/are bullet proof....This is why I will probably never buy an e46..but I would buy another e30 or e36. If you like the g35 go for it...but you might be surprised, because every car has its problems, and the g35 won't be an exception to that rule, especially because it is a relativly new model, and long term reliability results have not come in yet. and perhaps you just had bad luck, cuz a lot of people will keep the same car that you have for longer and may never experiance a problem....

so in short, don't dismiss another BMW that easily, cuz you might just be running into the same thing later down the road with another car...

listen man, you think that way because you drive e30, don't talk shit about e46 if you don't own one...

SpudBoy
05-31-2004, 11:30 PM
good answer.

Has anybody driven a G35?

I've driven the G3 series.

It's great. But it still feels a little Toyotish, not as solid as a BMW.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes*sad*

bmwboy88
05-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Every car regardless of what manufacturer will breakdown or have some serious problems sometime during the life of the car. It's normal.
Most people get a false sense of impression about BMW reliablility since they think that a luxury car is more reliable than an ecomical car.

I own a e46 and drive it hard and so far, I have no problems (knock on wood) but I also take care of the car doing all the maitenances that I can in my garage.

ImolaMZ3
06-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Nothing worse than finally getting a car you always wanted and then wishing you never bought it.

Leases are a bitch to get out of. You have three options;

1) buy it out and sell it. this might work given that you should be in a positive situation.

2) give it back and sign a cheque for the balance owing.

3) go to leasebusters.com and register your car. This is an interesting site, and for low dollars they can help you get out of your lease by putting someone else in it.

I have owned a Lexus IS 300 and currently have a 2000 M Roadster and a 2003 Infinity FX35. Of the three the Lexus was the best put together, the BMW the worst. The Infinity is in between. Each has its strong and weak points. You will enjoy the G, we have a G35 sedan as a company car as well, but it does feel heavier than a 3 series and down right large compared to my old IS300.

I worked in the automotive industry for 12 years and yes, every company makes a problem car or part every once in a while, some more than others. I can introduce you to Toyota owners who hate their cars due to unreliability and BMW owners who have half a million kilometers on their E30. It is a luck of the draw.

Do remember performance cars need much more maintanance. That M will cost a pretty penny to maintain to factory specs compared to a G. A good friend of mine likes to collect old Porsches. His rule of thumb on high performance cars is that if you cannot afford to spend 10% of the new value of the car in any one year for repairs you cannot afford it. Sounds steep until you look at the price of a new tranny for an M or a set of 19 inch tires, or those replacement Brembo's. So far this year I have put 4g's into my M and driven it less than 1000km. This is on routine stuff like tires, fluids, checks, etc. Add in one O2 sensor, a squeaky window regulator and a new plastic rear window and you are there.

Lastly, mechanics are a bit like doctors, not everyone can get the diagnosis right the first time. Even a cooling system, which is relatively simple, can take a trip or two to fix. Your mechanic will probably try to error on the side of keeping costs down and didn't replace something that he should have. Looked okay at the time but hindsight is 20-20 right? Keep your cool, no pun intended, and let them take another look. A good shop will give you some kind of discount for your trouble.

Good luck.

Jim .E.
06-01-2004, 02:30 AM
all i have to say is some cars are just unlucky...find Shamis and ask him, he has had the worst luck out of his ride and your E46 seems like another unlucky ride...

like the other members said, try another mechanic, maybe your mechanic is just retarded...

chromius
06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by d12
listen man, you think that way because you drive e30, don't talk shit about e46 if you don't own one...

Listen, I have friends that have e46's, and I have worked on e46's, I'm not talking shit about them...they are good cars...but it is in the numbers of several independant tests, including consumer reports, car and driver etc. reliability has gone done over the years...simple as that. Check your facts before you post.

chromius
06-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey d12, Here is an excerpt from an independant review of car reliabilty and the section of BMW....

"BMW maintains its place in the 'average' category, where it has been since the 1999 survey. According to Which?, there's room for improvement in all aspects of BMW's reliability, although particularly in its new-car breakdown rate, which is worse than average."

chromius
06-01-2004, 02:29 PM
D12, Here's a graph for you too...you want more? I think I proved my point. Don't talk shit unless you can back it up.

Nascar318is
06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by ImolaMZ3
I worked in the automotive industry for 12 years and yes, every company makes a problem car or part every once in a while, some more than others. I can introduce you to Toyota owners who hate their cars due to unreliability and BMW owners who have half a million kilometers on their E30. It is a luck of the draw.

That is so true, I drive a 94 tercel for the winter and it has over 330,000km everything is original except, the starter, brakes, tires, and of course oil:rolleyes: Bought the thing brand new in Oct 94 and she's still running strong........

My bmw is at 225,000km I bought it at 217km and I had to change the tires, rack and pinion, block heater, head light bulbs 3 times a fog lamp bulb.....

Alot of people say not to buy a car that was made on a Monday or a Friday.......

Ierrahh:

As for your car overheating, that happened to me last year check your frost plugs and your block heater, that's if you're loosing coolant at all.....It might be your water pump, my boss bought a 01 325 cab and had to do $8000 worth of repairs, he got rid of it after owning it 3 months(Not kidding) and he just bought a 03 325 cab and already changed the water pump on it(after 800km's)

Well good luck and don't forget that every car will have it's own problems....

M3ti Compact
06-01-2004, 04:28 PM
BMW's have never had a very good name for reliability, just performance.

Either way, G35 vs 330Ci is a good comparo, it really comes down to what you want. You want handling and the BMW name, or you want speed and luxury.

If you asked my mom what an Infinity is, she'd be like...huh, but no one mistakes the BMW name. Mention that Infinity is a Nissan, and BMW vs. Nissan would be no contest.

Nascar318is
06-01-2004, 05:30 PM
I just saw a g35 in the parking lot here at work, a nice black one with leather interior..All it needs is tinted windows and voila..*mw* Man it's a nice car but I still like my Bmw's.........

ierrahh
06-01-2004, 08:40 PM
lol, chromius_e30, dude you know your stuff reminid me not to contradict you in the future!

Marven
06-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Ask them for a replacement at their cost...

I've had all types of cars and I can truly say that BMW's are the illest....

E.

sjinto
06-01-2004, 09:00 PM
jerrahh... why not consider a lexus:rolleyes:

no really i've driven the IS300 and it's pretty damn nice... true it definitly looks japanese and not german but you can't have it all *angel*

chromius
06-01-2004, 09:01 PM
lol, chromius_e30, dude you know your stuff reminid me not to contradict you in the future!

LOL...I just didn't like that guy telling me I was talking shit. Cuz I wasn't bashing the e46...they are good cars. I was more trying to get you to stay with bmw's:)

ierrahh
06-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sjinto
jerrahh... why not consider a lexus:rolleyes:

no really i've driven the IS300 and it's pretty damn nice... true it definitly looks japanese and not german but you can't have it all *angel*

My only beef with that car is it looks to small, I know that it probably is just as big as an e46 but to me it doesn't look it

bmdoubleya
06-01-2004, 11:07 PM

I will .

You should go for an older BMW like maybe a M6 or M3 for the price you will spend on a new car that will break just as much as your new BMW...

New cars are made to break more often or they make no money..... My 15 year old e30 still has all the original bulbs in it front and tail lights and lots of other original parts.

Go buy an old bimmer

SpudBoy
06-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Buy a Honda civic... run it throught the new canadian isle at crappy tire and move on to "street-racing-civics.com":confused:

This supposed to be maXbimmer, not maXinfintiy. They are good daily drivers tho:D

jj0n
07-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Newer 3series are good too!
I have a e46 - which has not had much trouble over the past five years (leaking washer fluid container - replaced under wart., ball joint replaced).

BMW Corporations is in top 5 of JD power ratings 3yr reliability ratings. Porche is 10, Hyundi doesn't make the top 10.
Check out link
en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/advice/windowshop.aspx?contentid=4022344&src=home&pos=editlead

Also reocmmended by consumer reports with 1999 being one of the better years (I''ll try and post the report)

jmalixi
07-31-2004, 04:44 PM

You don't strike me as a true BMW enthusiast. If you are then you will simply get rid of your lemon car and take another chance at another BMW without all this drama.

You should get a Toyota Corolla or a Camry. My brother in law swears by their reliability.

golden
07-31-2004, 06:59 PM
you just got a lemon.. get another car
is your car a 99? first year is usually bad..

get an 02 or something

HIM
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Get whatever car you want... its all about what you think looks nice and what you like, although I've never had any problems with my e46 and its a 2002

jmalixi
07-31-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by golden
you just got a lemon.. get another car
is your car a 99? first year is usually bad..

I've got a 99, one of the first ones built and zero problems so far.

jj0n
08-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Mine's a 99 also with no troubles

jmalixi
08-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by jj0n
Mine's a 99 also with no troubles

Hey Jon,

Do you want the clears or not? PM me you remail address so I can send you pics.

Miguel
08-01-2004, 09:47 AM
280-hp 4-liter V 6 engine with 270 lb-ft of torque vs. 225-hp 3-liter In-line 6 engine with 214 lb-ft of torque.
how can you say no to this?
http://www.auto.vl.ru/gtclub/pictures/wallpapers/g35.jpg
http://www.wholesalehyperformance.com/bodykits/Veilside/infiniti-g35-fin.jpg
http://channel.goo.ne.jp/car/tas2004/img_l/sporty/10609.jpg
http://www.infinitig35.net/Sedans/Showroom/Bilder/V35%20NISMO.jpg
http://www.stillen.com/project_images/16.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/650000-650999/650012_4_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/438000-438999/438549_34_full.jpg

Miguel
08-01-2004, 09:48 AM
http://www.rdmwheels.com/iforged/g35evolutionbig.jpg
http://www.stoptech.com/productphotos/g35/Team-Toyo-G35.jpg
http://www.6mt.net/forum/uploaded/socalg35mashin/2004310184358_impul_bodykit.jpg
http://www.teckademics.com/media/g35.jpg

Gamite
08-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Ok, here's the deal with G35 spoilers, if someone hasn't mentioned it already. You CANNOT get a G35 manual w/o a spoiler. Don't ask me why, but you can't.

Personally, I hate the spoiler.

Secondly, I've been in a G35, and the FIRST thing you'll notice is, the lack of torque, I don't know why, but for 280hp, it surely doesn't feel like it. I've sat in Charlie Euro M3, and even Daydream's 99 M3, and they both *feel* like they have more torque than the G35. Its weird.

What I suggest you do is, test drive them both.

Everyone can see the exteriors of these cars, but you should look at the interior. The E46 interior is by far more superior than the G35, although the G35 interior is nice, there are some notes that I dislike, like at the top of the doors, its like pure plastic. and if you look at the rear seats, there's no styling whatsoever. The feel of the cockpit is nice though, it wraps itself around you. and the silver trim on the center console is very nice.

Like I said, test drive it first before you make any decisions. I can tell a lot of ppl here haven't been in a G35 coupe, and are already jumping to decisions. But I guess, I would do the same too. :P

328power
08-02-2004, 09:24 AM

Thats why i no longer have my BMW.... I got raped in repairs it was retarted... I shoulda had an m3 after all the money i spent on it !...

Im also looking for a G35 coupe or a 330 ci ( ONCE YOU GO BIMMER and get another car you realize thats its bimmer4life) .. Very sweet cars !