PDA

View Full Version : Lien lock systems

Hohner
05-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I've seen this setup on a few cars, i'm wondering how I can tap into the brake system to only use the front brakes ... any ideas to how?

Jordan
05-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Line lock systems only use the rear brakes.. so pushing your brake peda has the same effect as pulling your ebrake while retaining use of your hands.

Why on earth would you want to only lock the front brakes? Without the rear brakes the ass end will want to spin around under hard braking.

Hohner
05-29-2004, 10:05 PM
I'd probably use it for stand still peelouts ...

Ah, I didn't know they locked the rear only. I thought they locked the front...

I want to add a switch that'll lock the front ones on command ... that's all.

Jordan
05-30-2004, 12:03 AM
That is just stupid.. You dont need to lock the fronts only to do a standing burnout (standing burnouts are a waste either way)

If you arent stupid you should have no issues revving it up to 3k, dump the clutch, floor it to 6k, stand on the brakes, and hold the revs at 6k.

You wont move forward, and you will stand there spinning the rear wheels.

Edit: Just saw that you had a 318i, you really dont have enough power to do that properly, you would likely just stall.

Hohner
05-30-2004, 12:36 AM
... ouch ... that hurts. It's an M42, are you sure it'd just die? Or are you being sarcastic, I can't tell.

Jordan
05-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Well... I've never done a brake stand in a low HP RWD car before. Even in a fairly high HP RWD car if you let the RPM's drop to much it will stall. They key is to keep the RPMS's up so that the brake pads cannot bite enough to stop the rotors from spinning.

Also.. fair warning. Brake stands will destroy your tires very very quickly. 10x + faster then doing donuts or anything else you can think of.

Last time I got new tires on the e36 M3 while I was waiting to get them put on the guys at the tire shop asked for a "display of HP" So I backed up to the road (in their parking lot) and dumped the clutch, stood on the brakes, and held the RPM's at 6k. It took about 10-15 seconds before the SO-3's the car had on it at melted through the remaining rubber and started to throw belts. I left a pile of molten rubber.

Hohner
05-30-2004, 01:10 AM
HAHA! DAYUM. Your my role model.

But, yeah, I understand how it can ruin your brakes/tires.

Hohner
05-30-2004, 01:18 AM
I've got a set of really junky tires that i'll use for a stand still.

Every year, this guy hosts a birthday party near my house, and he lays a fresh patch of concrete down for people to come and burnout. Last year, these guys came with really nice muscle cars and true drag cars with slicks and stuff and spent like ... 30 seconds at least spinning the tires. On some cars, I was completely engulfed in smoke from the tires. I've got video if anyone wants it.

My dream, is to goto this birthday party w/ my car, even though I don't have quite the horsepower these V8 monsters have, I want to see the limit of peelout my weeny 318i has. The tires are really junky, and they've got rips on the back of them... the rims are absolute crap, spraypainted and paint peeling off. My friend wants me to overinflate the tires, and blow the tires ... and keep spinning on the rims... but that's just an idea.

MR 325
05-30-2004, 04:44 AM
Does your car have LSD?

My 86 325e with straight pipe, chip, and no LSD will BARELY do a brakestand.

Hohner
05-30-2004, 07:14 AM
I've got an LSD.