PDA

View Full Version : How do I open the hood without the latch??????

bmdoubleya
05-27-2004, 10:43 PM
It just broke off in my hands and I really need to check my oil?????

How the hell do I get in:mad:

thinair
05-27-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, one way is to get a sawzall with a metal cutter and cut around the latch. Using a pry bar might work, but you'll destroy the latches. You can try lifting the car, high, removing the engine from underneith and accessing the cables that way.

The best way is to remove some trim around the interior latch release and find the cable and pull it.

JaysBimmer
05-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Is it the latch inside the car that you pull to open hood?

If it is on my old 325 the latch didnt work either, heres what you do

Get a long, skinny flat head screwdriver, look in the grill beside the drivers side high beam, there is a hole with a slot, just turn the screwdriver and the slot should open, releasing the hood.

bmdoubleya
05-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by JaysBimmer
Is it the latch inside the car that you pull to open hood?

If it is on my old 325 the latch didnt work either, heres what you do

Get a long, skinny flat head screwdriver, look in the grill beside the drivers side high beam, there is a hole with a slot, just turn the screwdriver and the slot should open, releasing the hood.

You are God!! Thank you... It's the latch in the car I think it siezed then the plastic handle broke off ........ But I has this same problem less then 2 years ago so I dont know why it broke again?

bmdoubleya
05-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Ok I just looked and cannot find anything????

johnoz
05-28-2004, 12:44 AM
get yourself a long thin flat screwdriver and poke it thru the front of the grille- just to the side of the drivers' side high beam headlight. Look thru the grille slats and you'll see a small hole with a diagonal piece of metal on the backside- insert the blade of the screwdriver into this slot and twist it- the hood should pop up as if you pulled the cable.

Justin e36
05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
yep... flat head works on e30's.. on e36's you'll have to remove the front grills to pop the latch. (thank god our car battery is in the trunk!)