PDA

View Full Version : NE1 solve the notorious antenna prob?

sjinto
06-14-2002, 04:39 PM
get a nice aftermarket deck and the reception goes to hell....what can be done?

i've seen many posts on other forums but no real answers...maybe we just have to live with it?

:idea:

SickFinga
06-15-2002, 09:30 PM
maybe it is your deck

Foc us
06-15-2002, 09:40 PM
There might be an adaptor issue with the European antennas, check the adaptor, I know VWs needs an adaptor with a wire for their antenna when doing upgrades, go to an audio shop and ask. The adaptor's not that expensive.

thebigdog
06-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
maybe it is your deck

you mean you don't have the same problem? ... i'm assuming that most ppl here have aftermarket decks and i thought that this reception problem was common

it's become so annoying that i'm considering putting the stock deck back in!

BMW BMXer
06-16-2002, 02:02 PM
my receptions good, but I rarley listen to the radio

Foc us
06-16-2002, 02:07 PM
I don't know what specific problem he has. Is there noise when listening to AM/FM or it's just really bad reception. But I know there are occations that you might need special antenna adaptor just to get reception back. I've installed MTRD's old head unit before and I don't see any problem, but Sjinto could definitely go to those audio shops and ask, they'll help!

KIRASIR
06-16-2002, 11:04 PM
With mine I get FM perfectly and can't hear AM at all.

SL

Foc us
06-17-2002, 02:00 AM
Never had a problem and hopefully not going to have those problems.

Razkal
06-17-2002, 02:38 AM
I had the same problem in my E36 and I lived with no good fm stations for years until recently I decided to get it checked out.

I found out that the antenna cord in the car needs to be put in there as straight as possible (no bending) and then you get the stations again. I was never able to get 88.1, 93.7 and 105.5 in clear, but now they are all good. I wish that I had done this sooner.

Autotechnica
06-17-2002, 09:38 PM
I see a lot of people who install aftermarket decks into E36's and many people don't even get the antenna adaptor. If you don't plug in the adaptor how can you expect to receive good signals?

Bryan

Jesse
06-20-2002, 02:14 PM
I installed a new Pioneer deck, got the euro antenna adaptor at a place called Chase Audio ((416) 750-4434). I get excellent reception, in fact, when I was up at my friends cottage a week ago in Lindsey, I got about 10 good FM stations, he got 1 :D

The stock antennas in the (325i's anyway) are excellent. Are you sure the connector which attaches to the antenna strip hasn't shaken loose or something?

Good luck.

Jesse

Autotechnica
06-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Jesse
I installed a new Pioneer deck, got the euro antenna adaptor at a place called Chase Audio ((416) 750-4434). I get excellent reception, in fact, when I was up at my friends cottage a week ago in Lindsey, I got about 10 good FM stations, he got 1 :D

The stock antennas in the (325i's anyway) are excellent. Are you sure the connector which attaches to the antenna strip hasn't shaken loose or something?

Good luck.

Jesse

Good point, while installing the head unit into the bracket it is very easy for the antenna wire to become loose or even disconnect from the adaptor. I've done this multiple times. MAke sure its connected properly.

Bryan