PDA

View Full Version : is Synthec oil worth it?

M3speed
05-27-2004, 07:04 PM
hey guys, i wanna know your opinions on this.... I've heard from many people that using Syntec oil is not really worth it. The only advantage is that it may last a few more kilometers.... The price difference between syntec and regular is insane..... i drive a 98 M3 and have been told by my mechanic that i can use regular Castrol 10w-30 as long as i change it every 4-5 thousand k's and that syntec is a waste of money

what are your thoughts?

DbIiRrTdY
05-27-2004, 08:14 PM
i use synthetic ... maybe i just bought into the hype

BigD
05-27-2004, 08:20 PM
YES

The specifics are too numerous to get into. Just leave it at saying it's DRAMMATICALLY better at everything the oil is supposed to do.

And longevity has nothing to do with it, please do not buy into THAT hype. I use the most expensive shit and I still change it every 5k (first Castrol TWS now Lubro Molly).

STALKER
05-27-2004, 08:35 PM
I wouldnt use anything less, especially in our harsh climate.

Justin e36
05-27-2004, 09:52 PM
definately synthetic... search up on google, you'll see countless reasons why.

e24_635csi
05-27-2004, 10:20 PM
only synthetic in my cars.

WASABI
05-27-2004, 10:28 PM
It's worth it. With all the tests such as the NOACK, Ball wear, Flash/Fire point, Pour point (mobil 1 still pourable at -48C), and the way they handle contaminants, they are far more superior. Yes regular oil is cheaper, but it's also replaced more often.

M3speed
05-27-2004, 10:30 PM
kool thanks guys, i thought syntec was the way to go, but when you hear so many people say otherwise, u start to think

M3speed
05-27-2004, 10:31 PM
ok but here's another question

what syntec oil do u guys recommend?? castrol? mobil 1??

sjinto
05-27-2004, 10:34 PM
i've resisted moving to synthetic b/c my car has always taken regular.. i've heard before that changing the oil type might screw things up? true or false?:confused:

STALKER
05-28-2004, 12:15 AM
well I have to use Castrol in my M, but before I was a firm believer in Mobil and use it in alll my cars and my parents Benzes, both AMG and non AMG cars.

BigD
05-28-2004, 12:25 AM
sjinto: nothing bad can happen

M3speed: Of the "ordinary" oils (ie shit that can be found in Wal Mart, goes on sale etc), Mobil 1 is the best and there's nothing wrong with it. The best stuff is Castrol TWS/Agip (can't remember the Agip name, I think it's just Agip synthetic 10w60) and Lubro Molly 5w50 I think. Both are expensive as hell but they are the best. The M5 started with the Agip stuff and now gets Lubro Molly from Charlie (bimmersport). You can get the Agip stuff from Will Zaraska (www.willz.ca). I think you can get a 20L pale for like $200 (the less oil the more $).

STALKER
05-28-2004, 02:20 AM
Agip is just $$$ and I dont think it is any better than any other syn oil, especially Mobil. Mobil is not that expensive, it works and is available everywhere. Walmart is cheapest place I found. Plus they use it all levels of racing, and come standard on many exotic cars including all AMG engines.

BigD
05-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Mobil 1 is good stuff. I certainly doubt they use Walmart Mobil 1 in race cars. I'm sure Mobil 1's racing oil costs the same as the Castrol TWS/Agip and Lubro Molly stuff - you can't get this stuff off the shelf.

I can't speak for Agip for sure, but the word of mouth is that this shit is great. But Charlie said Lubro Molly is amazing. He's tried all the other oils including Mobil 1 and Agip and during his drive to work, his M3 oil temp gauge would go over 100. With Lubro Molly, with the same drive and conditions, it never went over 95. So, understandably he will now be the source of the M5's lifeblood.

Originally posted by STALKER
Agip is just $$$ and I dont think it is any better than any other syn oil, especially Mobil. Mobil is not that expensive, it works and is available everywhere. Walmart is cheapest place I found. Plus they use it all levels of racing, and come standard on many exotic cars including all AMG engines.

moregothanshow
05-28-2004, 03:47 AM
i usually get an agip oil change for about 65 cdn labour and filter included.... i think thats a reasonable price..... how much is this lubro molly stuff/oil change.
i like agip, but if yall claim lubro molly is better i'll give it a shot.
Thanks!

M3ti Compact
05-28-2004, 04:04 AM
synthetic is far better than regular dinosaur.

Mobil 1, lubro molly and Amsoil are all good synthetics that I use on my car and bike.

Last emission check, acutally scored a ZERO emission on one section...

ps...Mobil 1 is the same everywhere...just different weight and stuff...

Quack
05-28-2004, 04:13 AM
if you are interested in Lubro-Moly I can it for you, it's about $40 for a 5L jug of 5W-40, and graphite oil(forgot the grade) same price, or their race oil 0W-50 not sure about the price but it will be around $50+ for 5L jug, only Lubro-Moly and Mobile 1 0W-40 goes into my car

STALKER
05-28-2004, 05:38 AM
mobile 0w-40 is great stuff. Its the weight all AMG models use and is good for our climate if you dont change grades in winter and summer. It use to be really hard to get in North America.

Just a side note, I pay $16 a liter for the Castrol specific oil for my M3, what a rip or what.

Quack
05-28-2004, 05:40 AM
if you guys want Mobile 1 0W-40 I can get that to at my dealership, I work at MB, but even at dealer cost it's still $8 a litre

M3speed
05-28-2004, 06:16 AM
cool, thanks for all the info guys!

Autotechnica
05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Hmmm doesn't anybody use Motul syn. oils?

What kind of problems are there switching from regular oil to syn if the motor has more than 200,000km's and has always been using regular oil?

Bry

BigD
05-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Hmmm doesn't anybody use Motul syn. oils?

What kind of problems are there switching from regular oil to syn if the motor has more than 200,000km's and has always been using regular oil?

Bry

Problems? Other than more $ none. But I promise you if you take off your valve cover now, your cam tray will be all yellow and shit and after a year or two of running quality synthetic, it will be back to being purdy.