PDA

View Full Version : newbie oil question

HustlinUguys
05-27-2004, 06:23 AM
How much should i expect to pay for an oil change, for my 1988 m3, im just curious, need to get one 2morrow, and was curious what other paid....thanks guys

felixthecat
05-27-2004, 07:00 AM
you're not that lame are you??change you're own oil,its probably the easiest car on the planet to change the oil on...or are you just hustlin us???

HustlinUguys
05-27-2004, 07:28 AM
lol nope im super noob, i know very little about cars....im not gonna lie. Im here to learn....lol. So what just jack it up and change the oil or what...lol. And what grade of oil should i out in it.....like what does the "10w40" mean? thanks....sorry for the noob questions

chromius
05-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Just look in your manual, and there will be a page with a temperature range and the proper oil to use in it for that temperature. I'm assuming since you are in Cali, you would want to be using 20W-50....during the summer and maybe 10W-30 in the winter depending on how cold it gets there. Although double check your manual, cuz the oil requirements for the e30 M3 are probably different than mine. The easiest thing you can do is change the oil though...go pick up a repair manual..."bentley" or the likes. it will walk you through pretty much anything you need to do.*th-up*

A~G
05-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by felixthecat
you're not that lame are you??change you're own oil,its probably the easiest car on the planet to change the oil on...or are you just hustlin us???

You're sucha bully. :D

... oil change is really easy, but be prepared to get dirty :)

Hohner
05-27-2004, 11:29 PM
... he owns an M3, I think he should learn how to change his own oil.

King Luis
05-27-2004, 11:39 PM
to change oil....simplified:
get underneath car.
take out oil plug out of oil pan and let all of the oil drain.
remove the oil filter.
replace oil filter with new one and lubricate the gasket with oil.
put oil plug back in.
fill up oil.
and you are done...now i don't know what type of oil your using in the car so can't really help you there.
oil filter.....go to bmw and get a oem one.

HustlinUguys
05-28-2004, 01:03 AM
lol thanks guys, but can anyone answer what those numbers actually mean "10w-30" and such thanks

chromius
05-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by HustlinUguys
lol thanks guys, but can anyone answer what those numbers actually mean "10w-30" and such thanks

The numbers represent the viscosity of the oil...there are straight viscosity oils like 20 weight....or multi viscosity oils such as 10w40...the 10w is the base weight...this is the viscosity of the oil when cold, due to the added polymers they essentially keep the oil thin for cold starts, and as the oil heats up the polimers expand and keep the oil from thinning out as much....so the oil when at 100 degrees C will not thin out more than a straight 40 weight would when hot....Thats the short of it anyway...there is a complete science behind engeneering oils.

I would suggest however that you do not use 10w40 use 10w30, because to get the farther spread between numbers they have to add more polymers, which essentially reduces the lubricating properties of the oil....unless you are starting with a higher base viscosity like 20w50 is fine because it starts with a base of 20W oil....hope this helps.*th-up*

Nascar318is
05-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by King Luis
get underneath car.
take out oil plug out of oil pan and let all of the oil drain.
remove the oil filter.
replace oil filter with new one and lubricate the gasket with oil.
put oil plug back in.
fill up oil.
and you are done...now i don't know what type of oil your using in the car so can't really help you there.
oil filter.....go to bmw and get a oem one.

Here's my version
-Go to the store and buy a 6 pack of beer.
-Jack up car.
-Open a beer and take a brake from all the work you did so far.
-Go to the washroom cause you have to take a leak.
-Open another beer.
-Put an old blanket under the car so you don't get dirty.
-Get underneath car.
-Take out oil plug out of oil pan and let all of the oil drain.
-Get another beer and light a smoke....
-Remove the oil filter.
-Replace oil filter with new one and lubricate the gasket with oil.
-Get another beer.
-Put oil plug back in.
-Get another beer and smoke.
-Remove oil cap or the "710" cap by this point
-Fill up oil.
-Get another beer...
-Start your car and let it run a minute.
-Ran out of beer, take pedal bike and go buy anothe 6 pack.
-Forgot what you where doing...start car, oil light comes on.
-Check dip stick
-Get another beer
-Add oil to the line of the dip stick
-Close the hood
-and you are done...
-Grab another beer and call some friends cause you've change your oil by yourself for the first time, and it's time to celebrate.

Also Bmw's don't have oil filters like other cars, just in case you didn't know and spend half your day looking for it cause then you'd have to buy a 2-4....

chromius
05-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Nascar318is

Also Bmw's don't have oil filters like other cars, just in case you didn't know and spend half your day looking for it cause then you'd have to buy a 2-4.... [/B]

what do you mean bmw's don't have oil filters?:confused: I think they all do...unless e36's are really different....

Nice revision though..cuz that pretty much fits what I do...between every step...smoke/beer. :D

King Luis
05-28-2004, 06:18 PM
i'm pretty sure that a 88 m3 has a regular oil filter..

http://m3bmw.com/gallery/engine/images/s14.eight.injectors.22.jpg

Nascar318is
05-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
what do you mean bmw's don't have oil filters?:confused: I think they all do...unless e36's are really different....

Wait whats an oil filter? I put oil in my car the other day but where I put it under the hood was like a plastic jug with blue stuff....Is this bad?

Adam you know what I mean, King Luis understands me look at his pic, cause we have the "filter" and not the casing like my toyota or what ever....Just look at the picture.....

chromius
05-28-2004, 06:35 PM
LOL...I have no idea what you mean...I've only ever worked on cars with traditional oil filters...so what is it you have on your toyota...a casing?

Nascar318is
05-28-2004, 07:07 PM
See the grey thing circled......I have that on my Toyota and and in the bimmer it's a filter cartridge.....

chromius
05-28-2004, 07:16 PM
LOL...OMG I still don't know what you are talking about...the pic looks like a normal filter to me....I don't know...am I missing something here...maybe I'm just loosing my mind :D

Nascar318is
05-28-2004, 07:38 PM
http://www.dol.net/~stimpee/e36_ofc1.htm

K on here you have the bmw filter, the one in the pic is like my toyota....:huh?:

"Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

chromius
05-28-2004, 07:44 PM
LOL...okay got it now...*th-up* me brain work good now:)

Nascar318is
05-28-2004, 07:58 PM
It's friday go have a beer....