PDA

View Full Version : Good shifting RPM...

Hohner
05-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Question:

The 1991 318i i've got, i'm curious to what RPM I should shift at for casual driving. I don't want to push the car to hard and I don't want to lug the engine. Any suggestions?

Gianpaolo_E46
05-27-2004, 01:50 AM
2500 - 3000rpm is generally the shift point for regular driving....depending on ur definition of regular driving though :D

BMW_7
05-27-2004, 02:00 AM
I shift at 4000....

kylebes1
05-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Hell I have an 84 318 and offen shift at 4500 out of first to get a good start on the lug I have in second.
I took my lil bro for a ride and nailed the red line line in first and he was like wow and second came along and he was no longer impressed.

theNoiseJava
05-27-2004, 02:50 AM
I shift between 2k or 3k. Try to save gas.

Ian Sheppard
05-27-2004, 03:15 AM
At the rev limiter of course:D

///Milk
05-27-2004, 05:52 AM
between 2000-3500 should be good
good fuel consumption

Hohner
05-27-2004, 05:53 AM
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. I try to shift at or below 4,000 RPM in the first 2 gears, and then at lower RPMS as i'm accelerating to faster speeds.

BladeRunner
05-30-2004, 05:52 AM
Man 318s are fun to drive have a great sound at rev but the quickness is just not there. I drive a 5sp '84 318i and could not imagine the horror of driving it as an auto.

Anyway I usually shift at 3-4k.

4k is good one for my car seems to be where most of the power is located.

I consider 2nd gear to be the best gear on the car because well it goes to 60pmh of course at redline.

I switched one of my fuel pump fuses out for the 15 rated fuse that was there when I bought the car. It really helped with acceleration, but at the cost of fuel consumption. I would consider going higher than 15 though.

Hohner
05-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Do you really think that a fuse can alter the performance of the fuel pump? My dad who's an electrical engineer thinks otherwise, and so do I ...

BladeRunner
05-31-2004, 12:04 AM
well that's your opinion and this is mine. As far as I can feel the switch fuses has helped. Sure it does not turn a 4piston to a 6piston but I can feel a difference.

For instance, when I was using the fuse specified by the repair manual I had to shift to 2nd at redline half way through a 5 lane intersection. That is no longer necessary now I can go 3/4 to 1/1 way through a 5 lane intersection before I need 2nd gear. Furthermore, my 2nd gear can now go to 60pmh before it would reach 40-50mph and I had to shift.

If you don't believe that a switch of fuses will help then that fine with me but I say everything is worth a try switch your fuses out and feel the difference if you can honestly say you feel no difference then maybe my cars setup is differs from your yours.

Either way this is my opinion and that is yours. This is my story and I'm sticking to it :). Have a nice day good sir.

SpudBoy
05-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Ian Sheppard
At the rev limiter of course:D

that works for me:P

Jordan
05-31-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I switched one of my fuel pump fuses out for the 15 rated fuse that was there when I bought the car. It really helped with acceleration, but at the cost of fuel consumption. I would consider going higher than 15 though.

Are some people actually this stupid?

SebSter
05-31-2004, 01:39 AM
i dont usually agree with jordan's posting ethicsa but i gotta side with him on this one

if you know the purpose of a fuse then you'd know there's no way it can make a difference. a fuse in no way limits the current through a circuit, its simply there to fail in case too much comes through so that it doesnt short out or damage the system in mroe vital parts

maybe your fuse was blown before you changed it

BladeRunner
06-01-2004, 03:23 AM
Call me or my comment stupid but that's your blief and this is mine IT HELPED. True that fuse may have been blown, but I do not believe that.

The only proof I have is a change in acceleration. True this change could be in my head similar to people that switch from stock intake to aftermarket but I feel as though it helped and that's all that matters.

Have any of you done a switch of fuses? You know you guys have hurt my feelings *sad*, it may be time for a trip up North to correct this *uzi*.

--
Oh yeah I would not consider going higher than 15 rating.

chromius
06-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
Call me or my comment stupid but that's your blief and this is mine IT HELPED. True that fuse may have been blown, but I do not believe that.

The only proof I have is a change in acceleration. True this change could be in my head similar to people that switch from stock intake to aftermarket but I feel as though it helped and that's all that matters.

Have any of you done a switch of fuses? You know you guys have hurt my feelings *sad*, it may be time for a trip up North to correct this *uzi*.

--
Oh yeah I would not consider going higher than 15 rating.

Sorry man, but what everyone is talking about has nothing to do with opinion, it is the laws of electricity, and physics. You could put a 500amp fuse in there and it wouldn't change a thing, until something shorts out and your car catches on fire, all because you were using a fuse that was too big!

A certain amp fuse is there for a reason, because it is supposed to fail in the event of a short, before your wireing melts and catches on fire...by increasing the fuse rating, you have effectivly disabled the safety mechanisms in your car...I would be willing to bet my life that changing the fuse made no difference in performance, unless it was already blown.

in fact lets put it this way...pretend you have your wire going to your fuel pump, lets just say its 10ft and 16guage now cut out a 1 inch section of that wire and splice in a bigger 12guage wire...do think that would increase performance as well? Cuz essentially that is exactly what you did.....

SebSter
06-02-2004, 04:05 AM
yea man no one is trying to be mean to you... its just not a matter of opinion

its almost on the same level as saying putting stickers on your car makes it faster

kylebes1
06-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
i dont usually agree with jordan's posting ethicsa but i gotta side with him on this one

if you know the purpose of a fuse then you'd know there's no way it can make a difference. a fuse in no way limits the current through a circuit, its simply there to fail in case too much comes through so that it doesnt short out or damage the system in mroe vital parts

maybe your fuse was blown before you changed it

I would have to agree with the other guys on this, but there could be reasoning behind your improved performance:

I asked a questions about my High beams being so crappy, and I got a response that the fuse, being probably old, may have degraded and was allowing less amp flow. Now I have not driven the car iun about a week, because I am driving my strep dad's Nissan Altima until I get the window tinted.

If this holds true to the head lights then it most definitely will be the same with the fuel pump. And if fuses do degrade, I would guess the fuel pump fuse would be one of the worst seeing that it runs almost constantly.

The use of the new 15 amp fuse may have just corrected the lose of electrical current you experienced from the older fuse, not to say that the higher amps made this change.

The amp rating of a fuse is a threshold, anything below that is ok and the electric flow constant. If the new fuse allows the pump to pull more amps then the first fuse you had, probably a 10, would have blow immediately.

As others have said this is not a put down man just maybe a coinsidence.

SebSter
06-02-2004, 04:56 AM
a fuse is not a resistor, it doesnt in any way alter the current that goes through it

all it does is it breaks if the current is higher than the wire can support..so no, even over time it cant degrade, the current either flows through it or doesnt

im no expert ,but im pretty sure about this

Hohner
06-02-2004, 06:17 AM
Ah, my dad who runs an electrical engineering firm says the fuse cannot improve performance of a fuel pump ...