PDA

View Full Version : Water leaking in the trunk? or My trunk smells like moldy snatch? Part Deux

Adriano
05-25-2004, 03:15 PM
This is a continuation to the following thread:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30027

OK, so now we find more vulnerable water leak points in the E30. Again Qimis finds himself in a pool of water in his E30. What is wrong now? We already patched the holes in the trunk and now we find the front carpets to always be wet. WTF!

I figure that if the stones that are flung from the spinning rear tires are enough to wear away at the back of the trunk, then the front tires would also wear away at the front.

Qimis spent many hours pulling his car apart this past weekend (instead of going to Wassaga cruise) and found……. Well….. let the pictures do the talking:

Adriano
05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Wow, pretty soon this car will be like the Flinstones.
I see the light!*sad* *thmbsdwn*

NickP
05-25-2004, 04:00 PM
Make sure that your sunroof drains aren't clogged.

Adriano
05-25-2004, 04:34 PM
Good point Nick but this issue is definately a problem caused by stones kicking up from the wheels which is common to E30s.

Poor Qimis, hic car is starting to look like mine.

bmdoubleya
05-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Leaky Whores every single one of them...

bmdoubleya
05-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Adriano
Good point Nick but this issue is definately a problem caused by stones kicking up from the wheels which is common to E30s.

Poor Qimis, hic car is starting to look like mine.

Thats a good theory 15 year's of sand blasting must be the cause....

qimis
05-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by bmdoubleya
Leaky Whores every single one of them...

uuuhhh ... yikes, yours is worse than mine :) is that all mud and stuff ?

adriano, thaks for the pictures ! *th-up*

anyone knows how to take out the carpet out ? especially around the gas pedal and below the A/C.

qimis
05-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by NickP
Make sure that your sunroof drains aren't clogged.

where's the exit of the sunroof drains ?

bmwm5lover
05-25-2004, 07:00 PM
ouch

Jase
05-25-2004, 07:14 PM
you call that a hole..haha:eek:
This is what my floor looked like 2 years ago.

Bob Loblaw
05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Wow, now THAT's a speed hole!

Anything that makes the car lighter is good, right?? Hehe!

Jase
05-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
Wow, now THAT's a speed hole!

Anything that makes the car lighter is good, right?? Hehe! you should have seen the look on my face when i saw that hole. I couldnt figure out how i didnt see it sooner.
*uzi* *uzi*

BMW BMXer
05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Thats what happens when the holes in your rockers get all bent and clogged.

chromius
05-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Is there anyway to tell if there are holes without pulling up the carpet...in other words, could you guys see these holes from underneath? Cuz on mine there is absolutly no rust under the car.... I am afraid to pull up the carpet now...:eek:

bmdoubleya
05-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
Is there anyway to tell if there are holes without pulling up the carpet...in other words, could you guys see these holes from underneath? Cuz on mine there is absolutly no rust under the car.... I am afraid to pull up the carpet now...:eek:

You should it's the winter driving that does alot of the damage........ My gas pedal fell right out of the floor cause so much water and salt soaks in from the top I could almost guarantee that theres a hole starting under your gas pedal.....

And if the rest of you think you have the biggest HOLE I have you all beat...

:P

chromius
05-25-2004, 09:45 PM
damn, I guess I should take a look under there...*mumble*

qimis
05-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30

yes, you can. (see arrow in the picture) if you see rust spots from outside or a hole going into your interior, try to use a screw driver and poke it. if it goes thru and you feel a cushion / sponge from behind the dead pedal, then there's a hole. :) make sure you check the other side too !

windsor318is
05-26-2004, 06:49 AM
geeees, hold ya there was more holes!!! ask ryan, he should knoe how to remove the carpet if you havent dont it yet

Adriano
05-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Al, your still a slut!

chromius
05-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by qimis
yes, you can. (see arrow in the picture) if you see rust spots from outside or a hole going into your interior, try to use a screw driver and poke it. if it goes thru and you feel a cushion / sponge from behind the dead pedal, then there's a hole. :) make sure you check the other side too !

Cool thanks...I'll have to check that out this weekend. I'm all scared now...

qimis
05-31-2004, 04:10 AM
finally i got the hole patched on the passenger side today. i'm telling you taking out that base carpet is just ............. PITA !!!! adriano and al would say "S L U T !!!!!!" :D

anyways, the gas pedal that i heard was really hard to take it off, came out wasn't that bad. there are 3 clips, covered by the carpet (take the carpet up first) and i ended up made a bigger hole on the carpet around the gas pedal area *shiner*.

that was the hardest part, taking out the carpet on the driver side, due to all the pedals and lack of room. :mad:

here's some pictures from today:

haha ! the base carpet is out *mumble*

qimis
05-31-2004, 04:12 AM
freakin rusts ... :mad:

windsor318is
05-31-2004, 06:29 AM
hahahahha, thats a slut alright!!! can you email me the rest leonard

Adriano
05-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Holly shit, I didn't see the pic with you giving the bird! That is funny as hell!

NickP
05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Sorry I didn't notice the replies until now... there's 4 drains for the sunroof... 2 front and 2 rear... they drain around the rockers just behind the front wheel wells and just in front of the rear wheels.

At each of the 4 rocker ends you'll see 2 openings - use a coat hangar to make sure these are clear. After you do this, open your sunroof and use compressed air to clear these passages from the 4 sunroof drain holes.

Before you put the carpet back in try flowing some water down each drain hole to make sure it doesn't back up anywhere.

ROBM3
05-31-2004, 04:29 PM
LoL... Dont you love Canada. :( :mad:

qimis
05-31-2004, 11:36 PM
faaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :mad: :mad: :mad:

you wont believe what i just found again on the driver's side floor. W A T E R !!!! it rained last night. how the hell did the water came in from ?!?! *uzi*

Rich 323Cic
06-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi, for the trunk, check the taillight gaskets. In my E30 I had a small leak and I traced it to them (water was running down the trunk gutters right on to where the light gaskets were, and then in behind the lights). Once the gaskets were refurbished, it was dry as a bone in there.

windsor318is
06-02-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by qimis
faaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk :mad: :mad: :mad:

you wont believe what i just found again on the driver's side floor. W A T E R !!!! it rained last night. how the hell did the water came in from ?!?! *uzi*

AGAIN!!!!!!!!, did you take the heater vents off to look underneath them at all??? could be another one under there

qimis
06-04-2004, 03:15 AM
i finally found where's the water coming in from, it's from behind the heater :( i dont know how the hell the water can come in from there ? i'm thinking to take the blower motor out on the weekend, see if there's a leak thru the firewall in there :confused:

BMW BMXer
06-04-2004, 04:16 AM
Ya , you might have a hole.

dazzkid88
07-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Holy Hell!!!
I'm gunna be a full blown mechanic by the time I'm done with my car... I didn't realize what I was getting into when I bought it. My convertible top leaks like maaad !! I better check for holes too...:idea:

Boots R
07-23-2007, 11:51 PM
3 years later...

dazzkid88
07-23-2007, 11:56 PM
lol I just joined*th-up*