PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me what splitter addons are?

Infamous
05-24-2004, 05:01 AM
Hey, can someone tell me what splitter add ons these are? Thanks

EMPOWERD
05-24-2004, 04:15 PM
It has been noticed in racing that the addition of an air "splitter" creates very large amounts of frontal downforce at higher speeds. Basically they split the undisturbed airflow before the front of the car hits it and scoop it up into the front bumper opening. Smooth panels under the car (ground-effects) that allow under-car air to flow freely without being caught on mechanical parts also add to the overall downforce of the front splitter and rear bumper valences. They make the entire car essentially become an upside-down wing.

I know a BMWCCA ClubRacer that was experimenting with splitters because his car would feel very unsettled at high speeds at the track. The addition of a 3" carbon fiber front splitter added enough frontal downforce that his front tires started to rub the inner fenders at high speeds down the back straight of Mosport. It pulled the front of the car down that much!

I'm not sure if the splitters on the car pic above are actually functional. They look more cosmetic if anything, but i'm sure anything helps over stock. Hope this helps.

Slowered318
05-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Randy.. did you notice any improvment witht he GTS kit?

I want to add some sort of frontal lip spoiler but nothing is going on my car unless its functional :)

EMPOWERD
05-24-2004, 04:46 PM
I can't say i personally noticed much improvement with the GTS bumper, or the addition of the small 1.5" aluminum splitter I installed for (fiberglass) protection. Then again, my car always felt comfortable at high speeds. My dad's 996 feels surprisingly unsettled on the back straight of Mosport after 190km/h... kept darting from side-to-side.

Infamous
05-24-2004, 05:57 PM
thanks randy, i know what they are suppose to do, but i need to know WHICH SPLITTERS THEY ARE ? i wanna get these splitters, if i get the M tech bumper. Thanks guys

E46
05-24-2004, 06:41 PM
These are the OEM club sport splitters you can get at the dealership

golden
05-24-2004, 09:25 PM
they are OEM club sport splitters than addon to the MtechII kit

Infamous
05-25-2004, 12:46 AM
hey,
thanks guys, are these available in Canada? does anyone know for sure? cause i know some stuff you can't get in canada, like the E36 splitters. etc. if anyone knows FOR SURE, or has gotten them from a dealer in ontario, can they let me know? Thanks..

so, i just need to know if they can be got at the dealerships in canada. thanks

EricE330ci
05-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Yup they are available but they are about $250 each !!!!