PDA

View Full Version : M20 Supercharger Kit

ZiMMie
05-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Someone grab this..

Mystical :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33741&item=2479056186&rd=1

Mystikal
05-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Hummm...:)

Maybe in the spring. I'd probably go turbo though, if anything else because it's been done so many times before flawlessly.

felixthecat
05-21-2004, 05:33 PM
i think belt driven would be the way to go,it would fit nicely where the power steering pump is..and if you take the a/c pump off,you allready have twin belts comin off the crank...

Spartiatis
05-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Is that not a turbo?

Axxe
05-21-2004, 06:40 PM
It looks like a turbo, but it is a centrifugal supercharger. You can tell because A. Belt driven. B. No turbine

felixthecat
05-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Spartiatis
Is that not a turbo? both set ups are superchargers...one is a belt driven,the other is an exhaust driven supercharger...turbo is just a slang name..

Jordan
05-23-2004, 05:27 PM
I remember when the car that supercharger kit came out of was on eBay. It was quite awhile ago now.. but I do remember how horrible of a setup it looked installed. Particularly that tube. It ran up against the firewall, over and around the engine on both sides.

Superchargers on m20's are just nothing compared to the power that can be had with turbo. Superchargers are also whinny and annoying.

M50E30
05-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Jordan
Superchargers are also whinny and annoying.

Kinda like your posts! LOL! Sorry pal the door was wide open so I just had to! :D

///Milk
05-24-2004, 04:53 AM
^^^ :D:D

kylebes1
05-24-2004, 11:19 PM
I would have to agree with Jordan in that a turbo is a much more efficent power increase if you can handle the lag time. A belt drive super charger uses engine power to turn where a "turbo" or exhaust driven supercharger uses the waste of the engine to add "free" power.
Also I would recomend a water top air intercooler due to the aerodynamic disadvantages of a air-to-air, and they are easy to use along with your exisiting radiator fan.

Jordan
05-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by M50E30
Kinda like your posts! LOL! Sorry pal the door was wide open so I just had to! :D

You know I honestly read that back to myself just before hitting submit, the idea hit me... but I clicked submit anyways because I didn't think there was anyone truely that immature as to use that.

I guess i was wrong :D

M50E30
05-25-2004, 01:37 PM
I didn't think there was anyone truely that immature as to use that.

Sorry pal but just look in the mirror to find some one that is immature! :D And trust me there are alot more that think the same thing.

Jordan
05-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Think whatever you want :)

chromius
05-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Here is a nice supercharger kit that I was thinking about getting...but its a little pricey. Fits right in the spot of the A/C compressor (my a/c dosn't work anyway)...I want a supercharger over a turbo because I can't afford to wait for the turbo lag...plus I don't have to worry about custom exhaust manifolds.*th-up*

http://www.bluesteelperformance.com/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/149

Jordan
05-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
Here is a nice supercharger kit that I was thinking about getting...but its a little pricey. Fits right in the spot of the A/C compressor (my a/c dosn't work anyway)...I want a supercharger over a turbo because I can't afford to wait for the turbo lag...plus I don't have to worry about custom exhaust manifolds.*th-up*

http://www.bluesteelperformance.com/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/149

For the price of that kit, you can buy and swap in a S50... and have more power from the stock S50 then the supercharged m20.

Mystikal
05-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Hey you're on a Canadian board, it's M50B30. ;)

The stock M motor would be a LOT more reliable and it is a lot more likely to have less mileage anyways. It would cost a lot more than the S/C kit up here though. Only OBDII M3 engines were sold here, so you're either spending more on the OBDI conversion or you're paying to ship and duty the 3.0 from south of the border. Not fun.

Jordan
05-26-2004, 01:36 AM
It still called a S50, no matter where you are. True M engine or not, it has alot more in common with the M engines then it does a M50.

Also, you guys also got the real real euro M engine in the limited amount of 94 M3's sold. One of those in a e30 is the ultimate goal me thinks.

Either way the point remains. For $3500 you can get alot more power in your e30 then that SC kit offers.

Mystikal
05-26-2004, 01:42 AM
No, it's not called S50 at all here. Go to a dealer and ask for S50 or S52 parts and they'll give you a weird look. It is an M50.

And there were only 45 of the S50 M3's sold here. Shipping an S52 and 6-speed from Europe is more likely.

Jordan
05-26-2004, 01:51 AM
The ETK begs to differ but whatever, you know everything, and who am I to even think about telling you whats what.

Skunk#1
05-26-2004, 02:14 AM
plus if you just like the m20, like i do why would you want to change it? i am making a stroked ($1500) turbo ($1000) m20 3.0L and i am also changing the intake to the dbilas ($2000) indepent runner setup. should be good for over 300hp. but the point is that i am building it just to see what happens, i just like getting the most out of things. it is like my land cruiser, i have increased the horsepower about 70%, and that is still NA, it is getting a turbo (and it is carbureted) in about a month, and then i should see around 240-300 hp. this is all from a 2f land cruiser motor with 135 hp stock, i think i am running around 230hp and as much torque as a slightly modded cummins. this motor has been in land cruisers from 74-87.

so why would i not want to keep a perfectly good motor (m20), also replacements are cheap like $200 from a junk yard. and i am a mechanic so i dont pay for labor and all my parts are discounted, so that is not an issue. it is also like money, that is not an issue, i am not rich but you have to spend to have fun.

even though his point was to get a supercharger and not an m50, he might be able to by an m50 for that price but he still needs someone to put it in, then pay for new suspension, etc. way more then 3500 bucks.

as far as tuning it, it would be easier then a turbo, because your boost would be low, like 4-9psi instead of 9-15psi. i have seen some supercharged m20s and they are quick, but i could build a motor that would have around 200-250 hp then supercharge that and hold on.

chromius
05-26-2004, 04:43 AM
Skunk is right...I have considered a complete swap...and really when it comes down to it...I would rather go forced induction on the m20, I like them and they are easy to work on IMO...and supercharger would be my weapon of choice since my super eta redlines at 5700 RPM a turbo wouldn't kick in until I have already passed my peak power band....so thats my reasoning....and yes it is expensive, but thats what this hobby is about unfortunatly... And when you consider how much comes in the kit...its really not bad...supercharger, intercooler, piping, filter, fuel regulator, brackets etc....

Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

Mystikal
05-26-2004, 02:54 PM
The ETK begs to differ but whatever, you know everything, and who am I to even think about telling you whats what.

Heh, you have no idea how satisfying it is to hear that from you. :P

M50E30
05-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Skunk#1
...then pay for new suspension...

You don't need to change the suspension since there is only a 70lbs. difference between the M20 and M50 blocks. I just removed my broken AC system to recover some of the weight that I added.

Skunk#1
05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
werd, i though there was more then that. so you don't have a/c, oh $hit your in canada. here in texas it gets to 108 on a regular basis in the summer. hell, that is what i call it. this past winter i was wearing shorts and riding around with the windows down.

Sylak
05-26-2004, 08:57 PM
the pric tag is 3500$ Us or Can$.. if it's Us Plus shipping... i will be expensive.. ohh plus duty...
but a little 240Hp M20... huuum maybe one day...

hammoj28
06-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Superchargers do have an advantage over the turbo and that is that they are more instant power that a turbo, with a turbo you need to wait for it to kick in but a supercharger is there instantly. However superchargers strain the engine at slow speeds. I love the whine of a supercharger as it aids a big V8 over the end of a quarter mile!!*th-up*

BladeRunner
06-05-2004, 05:35 AM
Somone posted a few month prior to this post stating they have a connection to an M50 dealer or like so. Not one to give figures *cough* $1500 *cough*. Would be something to look into....