PDA

View Full Version : help me out,quick trouble shoot

felixthecat
05-17-2004, 09:53 PM
hey guys,got all the coolant and electrical hooked up today..but im havin one problem..
once i start it and its running,i turn the key back and it keeps running like i hadent even turned it back...it even kept running once i pulled the negative and positive cables off the battery:confused: i had to unhook the harness that comes out of the fuse box to shut it off...anyone ever encountered this???
the car is an 86' and the motor is a 90' i just plugged in the old harness that comes out of the fuse box into the one on the 90' motor....do i have something hooked up wrong on the main power block maybe????

lightsandsirens
05-17-2004, 10:40 PM
I had this problem in my old Nissan...
Changed the IGN switch and it solved it.

Skunk#1
05-18-2004, 12:14 AM
even if you pull the battery cables the car is running on the alternator. the car should never use the battery unless you have no alternator or you are running a real big stereo. the best thing you could have done was pull the coil wire or disconnect the power to the ecu, which is what you did. i think that you ignition switch is bad, like lightand sirens said. btw are you a cop^^^?

felixthecat
05-18-2004, 02:27 AM
i found it..it seems someone wired up a switch on the dash to keep power to the motor when its pushed in...i have no idea why..but thanks guys..

lightsandsirens
05-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Skunk#1
btw are you a cop^^^?

nope :D it's my ebay username and I got used to it...
(I work on firetrucks and ambulances installing... you guessed it... lights and sirens )

Anyways, felix I'm glad the problem is solved, I have a few people that asked for the ignition overide switch to be installed so it's not that unusual...