PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me if using this rim is a problem?

Autotechnica
06-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Hey there, as most of you already know I have purchased a 1994 318i. As you can see in the picture below in my SIG this rim is not normally fitted onto an E36. I have checked Bav auto and BMWwheels and it seems these wheels were meant for the 1995+ 5 series E34's. Julian told me the offset is different, I don't doubt that, my only question is how safe is this? Are the bolt patterns different in any way? The width is 185 compared to the stock E36's 205.. that doesn't sound right.. even on the 5 series it should use a wider wheel. Anyone help please? Thanks..

Bryan

Foc us
06-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Maybe it's better on gas mileage. *angel*
Well, you're gonna change the rims anyways, make it into your winter rims. But still when are you getting it??

Autotechnica
06-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Foc us
Maybe it's better on gas mileage. *angel*
Well, you're gonna change the rims anyways, make it into your winter rims. But still when are you getting it??

Denys you fruit! I already have winter rims, remember? Hehe.. anyways I might not get rims for a while, no money, unless you want to help me out? *th-up*

Anyways, on the weekend I'm going to take a wheel off and check the offset.

Bryan

Harry
06-11-2002, 05:59 PM
As long as there is no rubbing or clearance issues, then there shouldnt be a problem.

Foc us
06-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Yeha, check from lock to lock and see if there is any rubbing or scraping.
Well, I just want to ask, since I'm a fruit, what kind of fruit will I be.............:rolleyes:

Autotechnica
06-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Harry
As long as there is no rubbing or clearance issues, then there shouldnt be a problem.

Is the camber changed at all? Is this safe at high speeds (highway)?

Lastly, is the bolt patter between the E34 and E36 the same?

Bryan

Foc us
06-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Hopefully the bolt pattern's the same since the car's on those wheels already. You're gonna change the alignment settings when you drive for a while and I don't see if there is any point if it changes. Since you've already got a set of wheels sitting at home and if you don't feel comfortable, you can change back to your good old 318 rims.

Autotechnica
06-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Foc us
Hopefully the bolt pattern's the same since the car's on those wheels already. You're gonna change the alignment settings when you drive for a while and I don't see if there is any point if it changes. Since you've already got a set of wheels sitting at home and if you don't feel comfortable, you can change back to your good old 318 rims.

Too bad my 318 rims have winter tires mounted on them.. what did you mean when you said it will change the alinment? If the over diammeter is still the same the alignment should remain unchanged correct? I'm sure the offset will affect the camber however, just as my old 17" rims would have changed it with the wider tires. So with thinner tires the same would apply.

Bryan