PDA

View Full Version : 5 series cluster

BMWE30
05-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Hey guys.....I have an odd question to ask. Is it possible to install a 5 series (88-90) instrument cluster into an E30? I was thinking its possible because of the similar engine and relay characteristics between the 3 and 5 series. How would the On Board Diagnostics screen work if this is possible? This is the main reason I'm interested in this. Is there a seperate module for it? If possible, how hard is it to do. I've never seen it done...Just wondering if its possible. Thanks alot!

How cool would this look in an E30:

Jordan
05-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Fitting it in? Possible
Making everything work? not possible

Legal? No. Your trip and odometer will never work. All the OBC type fucntions wont be working right either.

Not worth the effort.

BMWE30
05-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Is it not possible even if its all rewired with the 5 series components?

Jordan
05-16-2004, 04:40 AM
I dont know enough about what drives all the functions to say anything of more detail.

Anyway you look at it tho.. its WAY too much work for something like that.

felixthecat
05-16-2004, 04:50 AM
well you could get the 4 guages to work..im sure they work on the same principles...now that i think about it..you might be able to get the odometer working too,there'll be something in the cluster to pick up the revolutions of the speedo ...but the rest might be hit and miss,you could allways wire up the bulbs in the cluster ...im curious as to what the back of that cluster looks like now..they might use the same harnesses,you never know...if its a 525i they just might...this could be a dirrect bolt in:confused: :confused: :idea:hardly worth the effort though..

DanPinder
05-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Who is to say it is hardly worth the effort. I think it would be worth it just because it's different.

Jordan
05-17-2004, 02:05 AM
This is a little different then putting 50lb tripple chrome plated 18's on your stock 87 325iS just to be different.

felixthecat
05-17-2004, 02:21 AM
its really not that different,not worth possibly trashing your dash and rewireing your harness for what?a part at the bottom that says coolant??if its a bolt in its worth it i guess,but if not,it would be alot of headaches..