PDA

View Full Version : jl audio

SebSter
05-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Ey guys i just picked up 2 10" jlaudio subs in a box, with a 600w 2 channel amp for $150

Did the install myself this morning and I gotta say they sound pretty damn nice

I figure either way for just 150 bucks cant go wrong, think i got a good deal?

edit: damn i just realized i shoulda put this in audio section, mods feel free to move it

bmwm5lover
05-14-2004, 01:08 AM
holly! this is like the deal of the ****ing century!!!!!! Where did u pick them up? if you hadn't I would have for sure!

T.Dot_E30
05-14-2004, 01:43 AM
hey man thats a really good deal....

what model subs are they, they probably aren't the top of the line JLs but still for 2 subs and an amp 150 is really good, even if they are the cheap JL 10W0s

Is it a JL amp too? if it is the amp alone is worth that

xJosHx
05-14-2004, 03:08 AM
thats a super good deal. subs rule, i'd get some if i listened to rap and wasnt paranoid of them getting stolen like my last pair.
but they arent the deal of the century, THAT was getting my 318 in good condition with decent milage for 300 bucks. pays to have an uncle thats a bmw dealership sales manager. *th-up*

SebSter
05-14-2004, 06:43 AM
hehe nice, yeah i figured it was a really good deal considering other prices around... the amp isnt jl its some other brand i dun remmeber ill post it tomorrow.... im really excited about it the sound is so much better *th-up*

808BMW
05-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Is the amp 600 watts max?
for $150, you probably have the cheaper jl, 10w0's, and they should only recieve about 125-150 watts RMS each.

That being said, w0's are good (IMO), they are relly efficient so you don't need a monstrous amp, GREAT bang for the buck :up:

SebSter
05-15-2004, 12:46 AM
yea its 600w max, w/e im not such an audio buff that i need the top end stuff, these two subs are more than enough for me

the box is kinda big tho so i might be selling it and picking up individual 10" boxes for each sub

808BMW
05-15-2004, 12:48 AM
If you dont really need the space, I would stick with the big box.

Is the box ported or sealed? w0's really like big ported boxes.

SebSter
05-15-2004, 01:06 AM
im not sure what ported or sealed means.. but its a big box, the subs are angled towards eachother, theres a small see through plastic cover, so the subs are enclosed inside, and each sub has a hole to breathe beside it...

thats the best explanation i can give, i can snap a pic of it tomorrow if i can find my cam

i dont really need the space, but my bigger problem is the weight issue though, id rather have em lighter.. i dunno tho mayeb ill keep this box

808BMW
05-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Sounds like a cheapy bandpass box. When they are playing, the subs look like they aren't moving alot right?

I would rather go with a nice ported box, it would sound cleaner, but won't be as loud. Bandpass boxes are loud, but not really clean. They also put stress on the sub.

SebSter
05-15-2004, 01:44 AM
hmm i c, sounds good i think ill do that when i have some more money saved up

AmaRu
05-15-2004, 03:21 AM
im thinking of getting 2 12's instead of my 1 12" ...i alredy have a box but im not sure if its good or not lol so sum1 tell me plz

it looks like this

http://www.ultimate-sounds.com/digitalaudio/dabp10e.jpg

Jordan
05-15-2004, 05:17 AM
Ug... bandbass boxes are the cheapo way to muddy ghetto blasting bass.

I used to have 2 12W0's in a sealed box. Sounded and perfromed wonderfully.

Sealed boxes are smaller, and produce tighter more punchy bass. Ported boxes tend to produce slightly deeper bass, but you loose some of the punch of a sealed box. Bandpass boxes are just about the worst option. Box is huge, and the bass is low, muddy, and not punchy.

SebSter
05-15-2004, 09:17 AM
amaru yeap thats exactly how my box is too

jordan, yea i hear that those r the worst boxes but they came already like that.. im gonna use it like this for now but eventually im probably gonna get 2 individual sealed boxes and put each of the subs in those.. to save space and for better sound

Jordan
05-15-2004, 07:10 PM
no need for 2 seperate boxes. Most sealed boxes designed for 2 subs are 2 seperate chambers inside.

JL subs are more about sound quality then sound quantity. Bandbass boxes are "best" used with cheapo subs that dont sound very good.

Mystikal
05-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah, bandpasses actually cover up some of the terrible sounds cheap subs make. It's like someone putting S-03's on a Geo, it just doesn't make sense. Like the Geo, I am damn curious as to how it performs though.

Make sure you're out at next week's Friday meet, Seb.

BMW BMXer
05-15-2004, 11:48 PM
I used to be a bandpass baller.

SebSter
05-16-2004, 02:51 AM
next week's friday bash eh? ill come to that, ill be at the wasaga cruize too

just lemme know where u're gonna beat on friday

AmaRu
05-16-2004, 03:21 AM
yea ima try to make it ina friends e30 next friday he has a couple questions for ya ;)
btw jay wut are the highs and mids you got that i listened to?

SebSter
05-18-2004, 01:25 AM
lol i just realized i said "lemme know where youre gonna beat on friday". lol

i have a question, i was thinking to get separate boxes for each sub so that i can save space and put each on one side of the trunk, that way the ski-hole is left open and there is room for the sound to travel, would that make a difference?

Jordan
05-18-2004, 02:38 AM
2 subs facing opposite each other, firing towards each other is a bad idea, encourages the sound waves to cancel each other out.

SebSter
05-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Jordan
2 subs facing opposite each other, firing towards each other is a bad idea, encourages the sound waves to cancel each other out.

no no, not firing towards eachother... imagine the e30 trunk, one in each corner but facing away from the inside of the car...and leaving an opening where the ski hole is.. im not too sure how to explain it i hope u get what im saying. the subs wouldnt be firing at eachother.

Mystikal
05-19-2004, 04:21 AM
Yeah man, I'll be in Woodville this Friday night, in my car or pimpin the GS400 on 20's (crazy mexican's whip). Or maybe my E46. Whatever, you'll see me around.

Amaru, I have Alpine Type-R components. I'm in love with them.

And Seb, I really like that sub setup idea. I have the sub on the left and the amp rack on the right, both bordering the ski hole. Looks great, practical, and sounds good.

SebSter
05-19-2004, 06:35 AM
Awesome, so I think that's what Ill do then, just a matter of time now till i have some cash to buy new boxes.

SebSter
05-19-2004, 06:44 AM
oh and by the way ill be there on friday but ill only get there by around 9:45 - 10 cuz i gotta pick up my girl from work, and then ill head up... give me a call if ur not gonna be there

Mystikal
05-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Aiight cool, I'll call if anything.