PDA

View Full Version : Shadowline Kit

openwheel
05-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Does any one know, do they make a shadowline kit for an E34. I want to get it done, but I do not want to do it with vinyl tape..unless there are some suggestions for a seemless installation ie link or product reference

Gamite
05-12-2004, 04:29 AM
Yes, dealer sells it, and its a PITA to install. :) you're looking at around $300 US for it, that's why I did the tape

Quack
05-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Jason have you checked on ebay for the shadowline trim, or just do what Julian did with the tape, I thought he did a good job

btw you guys are cheap bastards:D

Gamite
05-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Quack
Jason have you checked on ebay for the shadowline trim, or just do what Julian did with the tape, I thought he did a good job

btw you guys are cheap bastards:D

well, I figured, $12.95 was a better deal than $300, plus its easier to do.

Mystikal
05-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Did you redo it yet? :D

Gamite
05-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Did you redo it yet? :D

hehe, yeah I did, I re-did the driver side near the front.

openwheel
05-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Gamite.

Did you use a special kind of tape? If so, would you know of a good place to pick it up. Yours does look good, I thought it was original to the car. If I can make it look good...why not spend $12.95 over $300

BigD
05-13-2004, 04:12 PM
The tape stuff doesn't last, and you can still tell up close. Will Z is testing out some cool paint that he found. Apparently it's a professional secret some good body shops have. It's a special matte black paint for chrome. If he gets good results I'll give him mine to do.

Gamite
05-13-2004, 10:41 PM
what do you mean it doesnt last? I've had it on for over 2 years. I bought black out tape from canadian tire. The only place you can tell is the part near the bend at the rear window.

this is the stuff I used.

Tip, do it on a hot day, the tape becomes very maleable, and you can bend it along the curves easier.

http://vaxxine.com/gblawson/shadowline/shadowline.eht

BigD
05-14-2004, 12:27 AM
I haven't done it myself so this is second hand info, but what Will said makes sense. The chrome trim is adjacent to the door edges so as you open/close doors, it will get rubbed and he said it will start coming loose.

Gamite
05-14-2004, 01:27 AM
it does move a bit, but its hardly noticable.. I can show you how much it has moved on my car, its very minimal. I would like to paint it though, but this was the best viable option because I'm afraid of overspray.

openwheel
05-14-2004, 03:25 AM
Gamite - Thanks alot for the link. I might just this a try. Plus it looks pretty good.

BigD
05-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Cool, yeah, you'd have to paint them off the car, so you still have the huge PITA of removing/installing them...

Originally posted by Gamite
it does move a bit, but its hardly noticable.. I can show you how much it has moved on my car, its very minimal. I would like to paint it though, but this was the best viable option because I'm afraid of overspray.