PDA

View Full Version : Which alarm to get for my next car?

bimmersport
06-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Guys, I need your help picking out an alarm system for my next car.
I just came from the International Centre where The Art of Noise is having a big sale. They are selling 2 different Alpine systems for discounted prices.
Are these any good?:
-The Alpine SEC-150R for $197 (reg $250) or
-The Alpine SEC-100S for $149 (reg $200).

Please give me your opinions on which system to install and where to have it installed.
Thanx!

MP328
06-08-2002, 12:32 AM
i don't know either one but i'm thinikng to get one of those with the GPS signal the only thing you gotta pay a monthly fee but i don't know how much that is.

P.S. what's your next car.? and how much did you get from the insurance?

Eurostyle
06-08-2002, 01:30 AM
Dont waste too much money on an alarm!!! The only good thing
its for remote locking the doors!!!! if they want to take your car the alarm will NOT STOP any professional....(like the case with your car!) The only one that might be good is the GPS one, but there are ways arround that too....

bimmersport
06-08-2002, 01:41 AM
I was thinking to get the GPS one but I know that if someone wants your car badly enough, there are ways around it (just like a regular alarm)!! Now I just need to know which "regular" alarm to get (value for the money).

MP328- I haven't heard anything from my insurance yet, they told me maybe next week? and I dunno whats next, yet....but for sure a BMW!!:D

MP328
06-08-2002, 03:01 AM
from what i know the GPS is no there to stop them from stealing the car but more to find it after it gets stolen. i'm not sure on this but i'm thinking that you can hide the reicever somewhere in the car so that the sattelite still can pick it up where the car is.

Daydream///M3
06-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Charlie
I heard that the best alarms are made by clifford.

I know tons of people with GPS and still had their cars stolen.
All they have to do is steal your car at night and bring it into an underground lot where the signal cannot be transmitted.

Get a clifford.

Jon@Bimmersport
06-08-2002, 02:42 PM
yea charlie, dont deal with alpine, my cuzin put it in his car and it was great n all for the first few weeks, then when he wanted to arm it it never worked, he sent it to alpine and never got it back for 3months, and now its giving problems again after like 2weeks! i'd say go with the clifford alarm like Daydream///M3 said and put a perimeter around it and set the timer for like 1sec cuz those things will make u deaf if u stay near the car for too long! truss me...from experience. i didnt get deaf but my ears hurt for a few hrs and i cudnt even think *drunk*.

SickFinga
06-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by bimmersport

MP328- I haven't heard anything from my insurance yet, they told me maybe next week? and I dunno whats next, yet....but for sure a BMW!!:D

and that would be a EURO M3, am I right?

Jon@Bimmersport
06-08-2002, 03:04 PM
euro m3!!! charlie u lucky man

BMW BMXer
06-08-2002, 04:41 PM
get one of those 2 way alarm systems, the type that notify you when they are trigged by vibration or beeping but the car itself does not have to start honking or beeping

Unfourtnetly ya if they do want it they will get it

M-ATTACK
06-08-2002, 09:04 PM
both those alarms are lacking , buy a high end viper or even clifford alarm system

mkgino
06-08-2002, 09:46 PM
buy that metal bar that you attach to your clutch or brake so even if they start ur car they cant drive it, its on all the infommercials............

ThE bRoWn GuY
06-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Charlie get an alarm similar to mine, i'll show you next time i see you...

Compustar 2 way alarm... beeps when your alarm is going off... 1/2 mile radius...

I haven't had a problem with it yet (3 years)..

ps.. install it yourself its really easy, tap into your ignition, central locking, door sensor... etc...

Phantom
06-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
buy that metal bar that you attach to your clutch or brake so even if they start ur car they cant drive it, its on all the infommercials............

*no-no* If you're referring to the auto-lock, it doesn't work on most bimmers. The only car it works on is the E34 5er. I found out the hard way 2 years ago when I ordered one. If you go the pedal lock route, the only lock that works for all our cars is the 'pedal jack'

Nothing stops a flatbed/tow truck..............:( (except maybe a bullet in the crooks head from an upstairs window)

vodomagoo
06-12-2002, 01:29 AM
cliford avant guard 4 hands down. many installers make the claim that they will leave the brain out and give u a key and no one can take the car that way. only way there getting it is on a flatbed. you can even call in with your cell phone to it and disable the car. pretty amazing stuff but in the uis u will pay around 1000 just for the install. if your not looking to extream then go viper and do it your self if u want to

EMPOWERD
06-12-2002, 01:38 AM
Go with a Clifford, Code or Alpine.... they're all good.

I heard a wise person once say that an alarm is only as good as it's installer.

Get the newly released Boomerang II..... the best vehicle tracking system available.

ThE bRoWn GuY
06-12-2002, 02:00 AM
Damn i must have one good alarm!! :)

Eurostyle
06-12-2002, 02:00 AM
What's the point of spending $1000 on an alarm!!!! If they
WANT the car they will get it at gun point, like the 6 cases of car jackings in the last 4 days arround the GTA!!!!

Van
06-12-2002, 04:34 AM
Clifford!!!! + GPS!!!!!*th-up*

Phantom
06-12-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Van
Clifford!!!! + GPS!!!!!*th-up*

I agree with the Clifford choice as I have one myself. As far as GPS is concerned, reception fails if you're under any structures, including bridges, underground parking lots, shipping containers etc. My gps signal is always lost when I pass under a bridge or park in my garage. Not very effective for tracking a stolen vehicle. Had to cancel my monitoring recently, 'cos its a waste of money. I agree with empowered. The Boomerang is the only tracking device that keeps working without the need for satellites......:)

NickP
06-13-2002, 10:28 AM
I say you go for a more "natural" alarm. Something like a Doberman or a Rottweiler :P