PDA

View Full Version : What company should I buy a headunit from?

Gamite
06-06-2002, 04:49 AM
I got around $600 to spend.

You dont have to take the last few seriously, really. :D

Gurl Bmw
06-06-2002, 11:16 AM
Hmmm... I would go with Clarion or Kenwood....

BMW_M52_M20
06-06-2002, 04:00 PM
Nakamchi (sp?) is probably one of the most OEM looking aftermarket unit that is really nice.
If you don't want a stock look, I would seriously consider a Pioneer Deck. I had a DEH-7300 Pioneer deck and I loved all the great little options it had on it. It look really cool at night as well!:D
Ciao, good luck
Jay

Gamite
06-07-2002, 04:01 AM
Thanks for all your opinons, although most people voted and didnt reply.

The Due
06-07-2002, 02:38 PM
I would highly reccomend the nakamichi head units, Gamite. They look oem, have perfectly matched amber backlights, are excellent quality, and have a 6 disc in dash changer (no cartridge). If you have some space in your dash there is an adapter (looks similar but with less buttons) that lets you put another 6 discs in. Can't beat stock look, good quality, and 12 disc in dash capability.
I've seen ones on ebay for around $400, Ill get you the model #'s if your interested.

SickFinga
06-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Nakamichi is nice but way overpriced.
Sony? Just don;t waste your money, Sony is great but not in car audio
Pioneer is good, also take a look at Premier
Alpine is good
Panasonic is good, but only top models and they make best DVD + SCREEN decks

JVC, Kenwood honestly I wouldn't install that.

bimmersport
06-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
... Kenwood honestly I wouldn't install that.

I had almost everything KENWOOD in ALEXA and it sounded wicked...ask anybody who heard it...*th-up*
The only problem I'd ever had with that system was the PIONEER amp!

SickFinga
06-07-2002, 10:55 PM
I just don't like Kenwood. Maybe it was good, I just post my opinion.
Pioneer just makes good deck, I wouldn't use Pioneer subs, amps or speakers

bimmersport
06-07-2002, 11:07 PM
I agree with you Vlad, Pioneer makes a good deck but I prefer the Kenwood cause it fits flush on a BMW dash;) . I think the Pioneer deck sticks out too far.

DaveM3
06-08-2002, 05:02 PM
KENMORE ALL THE WAYY!!!! :D :D

I had a good experience with Kenwood and Pioneer... So either one of em should be okay

*angel*

BLACKKNIGHT
06-09-2002, 02:23 AM
pioneer.

I got one and I love it.

BMW BMXer
06-09-2002, 02:52 AM
err why would u not install JVC? my KD-LX 50 sounds pretty good, doesn't match a damn thing but sounds good

My vote would be Pioneer, I woulda got that if the JVC was not on sale

1BADBMR
06-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Personally I think Pioneer makes the best Head Units. Too bad I can't say the same thing for their speakers. I've just recently picked up the new DEH-P840MP which has the Organic EL display (Crazy screen-savers) and best of all it plays MP3's. Now I only have to carry 3-4 CD's instead of a huge CD wallet.

Foc us
06-11-2002, 03:29 AM
Gaymite<====*cough*typo........ Pioneer's powerful but if you want clean sound you can't go wrong with Kenwood, I'm using a Kenwood Head right now and I loved it. For Nakamichi, it's quite expensive and it's not worth the money. Ask me next time when you see me and I'll tell you what's the odds and ends of every company avaliable. If you got the bucks, I'll tell you to go for the Alpine F1 status, it's gonna be the best of the best in the next couple years. Or maybe go for the Sony CDXC90 since the dual burr brown's pretty sweet, depends on your price range.

P.S. Don't even bother go with sanyo and panda sonics, never heard any or 'em winning any major competitions......hmmmm.......

Gamite
06-11-2002, 05:35 AM
Thanks guys, I think I have my eyes set on a kenwood since price/performance wise seems good. (Still always open to options if a good deal passes me by of course)

Foc us
06-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Maybe go get the Sony from MTRD......just a thought........maybe......

The Due
06-11-2002, 01:44 PM
I would advise against a sony headunit if your doing a full install. Apparantly their pre-amp signal is naturally weak, even the es models. I have a three year old mobile es headunit, and the line output is very low, I have to turn up the amp levels just to get good sound. Not sure about the newer xplod types, but my installer does not recomend them, if you are doing a full install, separates and subs.

Foc us
06-11-2002, 04:21 PM
That's the problem, he said something about 600 bucks limit, but I'm not sure if it should include anything else or if he's planning on upgrading. The one MTRD got is a CDXC7000 (I think), which was a previous year model, with coaxial speakers, that thing will be sufficient. If he wants more he should think of the items I've mentioned in the above. But it's gonna be WAAAAAAY over his budget, since the sony cost 1500 for the head unit and you still need to buy the signal processor unit, plus the head itself doesn't make any power at all so he needs a minimum of either a 6 channel amp or better. Same for the Alpine F1 status but the Alpine unit cost 20000 (it's not a typo) for the whole deal, And yes it's all in Canadian dollars and tax is not included on all the items.
The Head MTRD got was a relative cheap unit and he should be able to sell it in within reasonable price so he could get an amp or line drivers just to power all the other goodies.

SickFinga
06-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Foc us, are those prices in YEN or something?

Foc us
06-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Nope, it's in true Canadian currency. Since I was hooked on audio a while ago, I was doing some research myself and these are and will be the high end product of the future. Feature wise, they're really cool but you paid for what you get so if you ant the best you have to take s***load from your pocket.

SickFinga
06-11-2002, 07:10 PM
I've never seen Sony deck for 1500 or Alpina for 20,000.
pretty sure that top of the line decks are not even close to those numbers.

The Due
06-11-2002, 07:13 PM
My Sony Mobile ES originally retailed for $1,150 U.S.

Foc us
06-11-2002, 07:18 PM
since normally SANE audio company stock these head units, it's usually a special order item. If you got time you can head to Auto Sound Design at HWY7 & Main Street. Check out the yellow Corvette. It got a F1 Status Head unit. 2 Tube amps, DVD player and a lot of goodies. You would like the whole package, but as far as I know, the owner spend 30000 just for the audio, but he got the bills to burn.

Foc us
06-11-2002, 07:19 PM
and NO it's not in any foreign currency, it's Canadian dollar. *smoke*

SickFinga
06-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Ohh yeah I forgot about ES models, these ones are the most expensive ones.

SickFinga
06-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Foc us
since normally SANE audio company stock these head units, it's usually a special order item. If you got time you can head to Auto Sound Design at HWY7 & Main Street. Check out the yellow Corvette. It got a F1 Status Head unit. 2 Tube amps, DVD player and a lot of goodies. You would like the whole package, but as far as I know, the owner spend 30000 just for the audio, but he got the bills to burn.

yeah yeah yeah, it is not that hard to find a car with 100k+ for audio. But those cars are for advertising only. I spent already about 8-9k on my car audio and I still need more stuff and I didn;t even install anything, rolling with a stock. I'm actually thinking of selling all this audio stuff.

Foc us
06-11-2002, 07:28 PM
You got any cheap sub amp??
I just happened to need one.

SickFinga
06-11-2002, 07:31 PM
I dunno what do u consider as cheap, but I think I'm gonna sell Rockford Fosgate 750x amp 4channel, but I wanted to use it for my speakers(2002 model).

Foc us
06-11-2002, 07:36 PM
Rockford's need really low impedience bring it down to 1 ohm and I'll bet it's gonna sound so sweet.! If it's a 4 channel, get speakers with 4 ohm, don't use the normal spekers, rockfords don't like 8 ohm or above.
The biggest problem is the amp goes so hot it could actually fry an egg on full load (yeah, I'm serious), that's the biggest problem of that amp, other than that, it's built with spaceage material so it could withstand the heat. Just don't get anything flammable near it, else................you're gonna be toasted.

Jon@Bimmersport
06-12-2002, 06:47 PM
get an alpine or clarion deck...those r the best quality 1s...if ur doing subs and speakers later on go nothing but jbl and infinfity for subs, speakers, amps...my cuz can turn his pioneer deck up to 40 and get perfect sound out of his system with hardly any distortion

Foc us
06-12-2002, 09:36 PM
If you're looking at JBL and infinity for subs and amps I'd say they're alright but not a good choice. I'll go for Zapco, Phoenix Gold or MAYBE Alpine V12s, other than those maybe they're powerful but I'm talking about clean sound (even for bass) not cheezy brands. If you do some research, you'll see JBL and Infinity never get to win IASCA or major competitions but the brands I refer to was well known and well made.
E46, I'm not dissing your system, they might be good but I'm talking about the pure bred sound quality here and I think a lot of people here wants to enjoy their car's sound. Especially he's only talking about a 600 bucks limit on a head unit. Can Clarion make anything with 3 4 volt preout with sub control and can produce 50 x 4 mosfet power? I can tell you that I've seen a Pioneer head that could bridge it's rear channels and power a single 10" (even though it's not recommended). I'll NEVER go to Future Shop for car audio, even MTX is consider "dirty power" these days, and probably you're buying those items from Future Shop. Try go to Auto Sound Design and check out their inventory, you'll know the REAL difference.

Jon@Bimmersport
06-12-2002, 09:45 PM
i didnt go to futureshop dude..its not my car....ultra autosound, audio to go, and well...yea i did by the dynamat from futureshop!

Foc us
06-12-2002, 09:53 PM
er....I can tell you this:

the only person who could went into the finals of ISACA in the country of Canada happens to work in Auto Sound Design and his name is Tom, look for his trophy and check your informations.

SickFinga
06-12-2002, 10:49 PM
When choosing a system you also should consider what kind of music you like.

'88 325e
06-12-2002, 11:13 PM
Guys,

I have a friend that is a certified car audio installer. I could hook you guys up with him to do some "under the table" custom work. If you are interested let me know and I can talk to him. Just one thing. He lives in Brantford.

L8R,
Dave

*EDIT*

He is an IASCA judge. And he has taken the Alpine courses. I'll be honest with ya. He is the ONLY one that will ever touch my car for car audio. He is upfront and honest. No BSin'!

Foc us
06-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Well, if he's only getting the head installed then even I can do it, since mine and MTRD's head was installed my me and it's not that hard. But if you guys are thinking of doing a custom floor or fiber glass kicks then that will be something must be done by other people but if you're thinking of getting the nicest custom job then you have to go for the top guys. Since not everyone can get a trophy from IASCA, depends on budget and how nice you want it to be. Plus not every company can install the Alpine F1 status so that's why I suggested Auto Sound.

Slowered318
06-18-2002, 02:46 AM
I have a barely used Eclipse CD5441 deck I would sell you for $600 .. it's $950 new! every feature you will ever need 5 volt pre-outs, motorized faceplate, sub out, lots of power to run your mids and 20bit d-a convertors.. it's a 1st class deck the sound is amazing but i want a dvd deck that's the olny reason i'm selling

Ryan