PDA

View Full Version : Black Headliner

Boris The Blade
04-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Not bad for black vinyl spray. I looks awsome in person. just gotta get used to it now because its so damn dark in my car now!

:D

jeremy
05-01-2004, 02:09 AM
looks really good ! *th-up* *th-up*

what exactly did you use ?

biotek
05-01-2004, 02:28 AM
Yes do tell what did you use?

Looks good *th-up*

King Luis
05-01-2004, 05:14 AM
post how-to!!!
and more pics

johnoz
05-01-2004, 05:56 AM
hehe someone finally did it(that's what I was thinking too-I evenmade a post about it here) VHT PENETRATING COLOR DYE for vinyl ? If not what did you use and how did you apply?

Spencer
05-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Crappy tire sells a vinyl paint called U-Fix-it "Vinyl Colour" (~$ 5.00).

I used this stuff to paint my rear speaker shelf a few days ago. It turned out really nice so I'm planning to do the head liner soon.
What do you think?

http://www3.telus.net/bmwstuff/bmw/B4andAfter.jpg

Spencer

King Luis
05-01-2004, 08:06 PM
looks sick

jeremy
05-01-2004, 08:09 PM
looks good....but does it come off on your hands when you touch it ?

EMPOWERD
05-01-2004, 08:11 PM
That's the same stuff I used on my E30 roof liner. It works awsome and it's honestly the easy mod I've ever done... it gets absorbed quickly into the fabric... virtually impossible to screw it up. The hardest thing is masking the entire interior from overspray.

jeremy
05-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
That's the same stuff I used on my E30 roof liner. It works awsome and it's honestly the easy mod I've ever done... it gets absorbed quickly into the fabric... virtually impossible to screw it up. The hardest thing is masking the entire interior from overspray.

hey randy,

did you use the vht stuff ? or the crappy tire stuff ?

Euro_E30
05-01-2004, 11:36 PM
WOW!:eek: where u get that stuff????

theNoiseJava
05-02-2004, 12:03 AM
How did that turn out on your rear deck? Would it be suitable for the floor carpet or does it wear off easily? Does it harden the fabric any?

crusher
05-02-2004, 01:21 AM
nice work keep us posted :)

Boris The Blade
05-02-2004, 01:38 AM
hey guys,

yep, its the vinyl spray that you can get from any shop i guess. I got my from Pep Boys. $5 Mods are cool... *th-up*

I also reupholstered my cream color rear deck to black. looks good too. as soon as i get back home I'll take more pics.

the next thing i have to do is my rear seat. thats sh*t is torn up!

I'm also still in the process of making fiberglass door panels. I just cant come up with any design yet.

pics coming soon

lightsandsirens
05-02-2004, 02:38 AM
hmm... I wonder how hard it is to actualy remove the headliner. Anyone?

BMW BMXer
05-02-2004, 03:09 AM
As hard as removing the front anr rear windshield.

ZiMMie
05-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
As hard as removing the front anr rear windshield.

lol i can get any e30 windsheild out in 60secs.. is the easiest shit to take out..

EMPOWERD
05-02-2004, 04:05 AM
I used the crappy tires stuff... it actually worked awsome (rare for their products). I also did the rear deck with the same stuff and it went on just as easily with no fade over 3 years. Very nice mod for under $5.00

p.s. I wouldn't even bother removing the headliner... you'll be kicking yourself when you try and reinstall it and get nothing but wrinkles.

Jordan
05-02-2004, 04:53 AM
There is alot more to the headliner then removing the windows.

The front/rear windscreens must be removed, along with the gaskets. the side windows/gaskets must be removed also.

The sunroof panel and all the sliders etc must be removed, along with the front overhead panel that houses the visors and check panel.

At this point you can remove the factory headliner.

I did all this on my e30, and replaced the factory headliner with a custom black headliner. Looks factory, fits factory, and has no wrinkles... It also looks and feels 10 times better then any spray dye ever will.

Doing it any other way then actually replacing the headliner is half ass. End of story.

jeremy
05-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Jordan

Doing it any other way then actually replacing the headliner is half ass. End of story.

it's like rolling around on a car that is half painted and half primed...:D

Boris The Blade
05-02-2004, 06:47 AM
I actually thought about pulling the headliner off and ordering a black one (if they make one) then I saw what a bitch it was to do and I said the hell with that! Then I thought about adhering some headliner material that I found at this huge fabric store in Howell, NJ. That meant that I would have to pull off my window gasket and wheather stripping anyway so I changed my mind again. Thats when I thought off just spraying it. I'm glad I went that route and I'm really happy with it.

Spencer
05-02-2004, 08:42 AM
My rear shelf isn't crispy at all. I even ran a vacuum over it to test the durability and it held up nicely.

How many cans does it take to do the headliner?

Spencer

AR13LLE 9
05-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey! now that i think of it! its time to spray on my interior! Looks great Boris!*th-up*

Jordan
05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
it's like rolling around on a car that is half painted and half primed...:D

My car has never left the driveway so I don't quite see your point.

Perhaps you were trying to bring attention to your ignorance, if that be the case then rest easy! You succeeded.

SpoolinS6
05-02-2004, 05:39 PM
^^^^^^^ why dont u just finish painting the car well the rest of it !

Jordan
05-02-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm going to soon, as soon as the custom rear bumper is finished. I work 46+hrs a week, I don't have alot of time to work on the bumper... so stfu about all the "G3t You'R3 C4R Pa1nT3d y000!!!11" shit

LP_E30PWR
05-02-2004, 09:16 PM
I also sprayed my speaker shelf

It was turned purple by the sunlight
I bought a normal black spray and it's beautiful black now:D

I have no idea about the headliner

Kid
05-02-2004, 10:08 PM
yeah, but what about the carpet? Is it a good idea, or shuld I just replace the whole thing if I want it black?

Mystikal
05-02-2004, 11:30 PM
"G3t You'R3 C4R Pa1nT3d y000!!!11" shit

LOL...at least the forum is consistent. :D

jeremy
05-02-2004, 11:38 PM
My car has never left the driveway so I don't quite see your point.

Perhaps you were trying to bring attention to your ignorance, if that be the case then rest easy! You succeeded.

listen you stupid prick...it was mearly a pointless observation/joke....go drive your moms m3 and keep building you "perfect e30"....

Jordan
05-03-2004, 01:45 AM
lol @ Jeremy

Just admit you got owned, and move on.

theNoiseJava
05-03-2004, 02:06 AM

How is dying a headliner being half ass? If it works and it is cheaper and it looks just as good as a replacement then why would you waste time and money on a headliner that was just dyed at a factory when you could dye it yourself.

Jordan
05-03-2004, 02:23 AM
I guess you would have to see my headliner to understand why dye is just halfass. But if you are happy with dye, then so be it.

Boris The Blade
05-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Spencer
My rear shelf isn't crispy at all. I even ran a vacuum over it to test the durability and it held up nicely.

How many cans does it take to do the headliner?

Spencer

I have a 1/4 of a can left. I bought 2 and returned the other.

Boris The Blade
05-05-2004, 04:34 AM
I guess you would have to see my headliner to understand why dye is just halfass. But if you are happy with dye, then so be it.

its not dye dickmoe, its vinyl spray. it goes on and stays on, no wiping down. its like when you paint your car (if you ever get to it) the paint goes on and stays on and wont fade. END OF STORY!!!!! *sleep* Get it!

GOOD

oh, wanna see half ass??? and I'm proud of it. And you bet your ass I drive it like it is *th-up* raw baby..

Jordan
05-05-2004, 04:54 AM
Sigh... come on man... are you really that stupid? Vinyl spray, or dye.. makes no difference... it is still half ass.

My car will be fully repainted soon, should be buy the end of June at the absoulte latest.

I am familiar with your car, it is in the "Distasteful Gallery" folder on the picture CD's I sell.

I wouldnt be caught dead in that e30.. let alone seen driving. I hope you were given those wheels, my condolences if you purchased them.

Boris The Blade
05-05-2004, 05:00 AM
Ouch.... that hurt! :moon:

well, then I wish you all the luck in the world... you'll need it.

oh and about the headliner, dont knock it until you have actually seen it.

Jordan
05-05-2004, 05:31 AM
I've seen spray dyed/spray vinyl headliners before. they look bad.

and I don't need luck, because I have control ;)

Boris The Blade
05-05-2004, 05:39 AM
I've seen spray dyed/spray vinyl headliners before. they look bad.

and I don't need luck, because I have control ;)

PM sent

Gamite
05-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Ok I have a question, what about your "holy shit handles" and the sun visors? What did you use to paint those?

NickP
05-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
Ok I have a question, what about your "holy shit handles" and the sun visors? What did you use to paint those?

Those are already black

Gamite
05-05-2004, 05:26 PM
damn, u guys suck, mine are grey, they match the top, I wanted to do a black headliner, but then I'd have to paint those too. :(

Mystikal
05-05-2004, 05:33 PM
So paint them too. They're made out of the same material as the dash, so use that type of paint. They're apparently pretty damn good these days, still not sure if I'd spray paint anything in my interior though.

JIVAN IVAN
05-05-2004, 07:21 PM
This is in fact my first post, but I had to chime in. Boris is actually a friend of mine and he is very crafty. He picked up his BMW about a year and a half ago, so this is a project for him. He has plans to add a body kit and some other goodies, but he has other responsibilities at the moment, like paying his mortgage and utility bills. Believe me Im not defending him because he needs it, I am just letting you all know that he really has hands of gold and he really is a talented guy. Boris has done several custom radio installs for me, as well as fixed leaks, squeaks and you name it. His only problem is that he is too damn unselfish and he rarely does much for him self. His time will come and he will have a sweet ride. As for the shmuck who was dogging Boris's rims dont knock em until you see theme. They really look mean and have a distinct flare to them. Bottom line is we should all just have fun with our cars and help one another out. If you aint got nothing nice to say than just do as the Russians do and SHUT IT UP BITCH....JIVAN IVAN 2000 PEACE*wave*

Boris The Blade
05-05-2004, 11:25 PM
HAHAHAHAAAA... OH MY GOD. I cant believe you did that. that is too funny. Thanks dude. You are the only one that knows what I'm going through. lol... later!!!

aascenzi
05-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Good luck Boris*th-up*

Skunk#1
05-06-2004, 12:36 AM
i think that shit looks pimp! Randy said he used the same stuff, but they didnt have a real good pic of the headliner, and i know that he spent a lot of time on this car, so your saying he built the interior half-ass?

*shiner*

Skunk#1
05-06-2004, 12:46 AM
all i know is that if you think that replacing a headliner is that hard, get someone to do it. if you come down here to atx i have a friend that only charges $60 and that includes the material to replace headliners, the only thing is that it is not bmw brand material, but it feels better and looks twice as smooth. he can get you in and out in one hour and puts a lifetime garrantee on the work and parts. even the sunroof. all i know if randy's car had just a sparyed on color change, it looked damn good, watch that vid he made in the vid section, the interior was mint. plus i have seen pics of the cage being built and also build that shite, that is the time to decide what you want back in. painting or dyeing is not half ass no matter what you say. the only reason i replaced mine was that the f##kin police ripped my liner and it was irrepairable.

Boris The Blade
05-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by aascenzi
Good luck Boris*th-up*

JIVAN IVAN
05-07-2004, 01:02 AM
The more I read and search on this site, I really am learning to admire the dedication you guys have to your cars. This is a real expensive hobby, but it is well worth it. As a wise man once said " Dont worry we didnt wait, we waited for you's"

When Boris first showed me his headliner and he said it only took about an hour, I was thinking how the hell did you remove everything and reinstall it in an hour. That goes to show how good the spray worked. For$5 you just can't go wrong.

Jivan Ivan(KGB INTELLIGENCE)Task force team*uzi*

DanPinder
05-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by JIVAN IVAN
... As for the shmuck who was dogging Boris's rims dont knock em until you see theme. They really look mean and have a distinct flare to them. Bottom line is we should all just have fun with our cars and help one another out. If you aint got nothing nice to say than just do as the Russians do and SHUT IT UP BITCH....JIVAN IVAN 2000 PEACE*wave*

Very good points. That's nothing though; You should have seen him dissing my turbo on e30tech. :rolleyes:

I think the headliner would look pretty good painted, if you took some time doing it.

Jordan
05-09-2004, 03:56 AM
I hope you arent talking about me Dan, I dont read, nor even have an account on e30 tech.

Boris The Blade
05-12-2004, 01:43 AM
oh lets not start this again....

Justin e36
05-12-2004, 06:40 PM
hate to break it to you... but if you replaced your headliner with a black one, you basically just paid for someone else to dye it / spray it for you... (the factory.)

Yes, believe it or not... fabric does not just come coloured... it has to be made that colour. Whether you do it yourself, or buy it that way.

The end product will essentially be the same if the fabric is cleaned of loose dirt and oils first.

There is actual carpet/fabric paint which can be bought at Canadian Tire. It is essentially dye in a spray can. It is water based and absorbs quickly and evenly, once dried will not fade in the sun, feels completely normal (not hard or sticky), and will not come off if you rub it like crazy. Only way to get it out at that point is a mild acid.. (i.e bleach.) .. you know, the same way you'd remove the black colour from the headliner bought aftermarket / replacement.

Gamite -- use interior vinyl spray paint to do the visors and holy shit bars. Surface should be cleaned with acetone or alcohol. use a vinyl primer (designed for interiors), and vinyl spray a couple coats. Works fine for plastics too.

No clear coats available for interior parts, it won't 'feel' right to the touch... which means you also have to stay away from most metallic paints with flecks in them (it'll fade). All other paints will be fine.

Oh, and (sorry forgot who asked this) yes this will work for your interior carpet as well... just get a steamvac and give it a proper cleaning first, remove your seats, and protect any parts from overspray. Make sure there isn't a breeze or wind outside when you do this... preferably in a garage.

Slowered318
05-12-2004, 07:11 PM
my account at R3V got deleted.. i think we should do the same with Jordan!

He has flamed just about every E30 post on Maxbimmer with his rude comments, I donno who's dick he's suckin to stay on here but i think were all pretty tired of this BS disrupting our forum.

BMW BMXer
05-12-2004, 07:56 PM
It got deleted?

Kid
05-13-2004, 02:55 AM
The carpet was me!

Jordan
05-13-2004, 03:19 AM
It didn't get deleted... only I have that power. It is just not active.

Boris The Blade
05-13-2004, 04:55 AM
Hey justin, you're right about the headliner material... dyed, sprayed, pissed on.. its all the same shit and you're paying someone else to do it for you. thats why I sprayed my headliner and it looks awsome *th-up* .

jeremy
05-16-2004, 07:21 AM
i just used the "u fix it" stuff to dye the trunk carpet and rear parcel shelf...it works really nice, though it does kinda give it a hard finnish feeling... i noticed that "u fix it" also sells a product specificaly for carpets and upholstry...might be worth the time to try...

jeremy
05-16-2004, 07:23 AM
It didn't get deleted... only I have that power. It is just not active.

my account doesnt seem to work either....is it because my password was "jordanisgay" ?

Boris The Blade
05-16-2004, 01:04 PM
My Rv3 account is closed too... heehe, its not like I ever posted anything on that forum. :rolleyes:

Eurospeed88
05-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by jeremy
my account doesnt seem to work either....is it because my password was "jordanisgay" ?
Nah, it's just that no one misses your riced-out E30.

Or at least the ironing board you've got stuck to the back of it.

jeremy
05-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Eurospeed88
Nah, it's just that no one misses your riced-out E30.

Or at least the ironing board you've got stuck to the back of it.

hahaha, thanks man...

rice rice baby....:D

if i had known it would piss soooo many people off doing my car the way i did, i would have graphted some altezzas in for ya too..

in closing, lick my asshol3 :P

Boris The Blade
05-23-2004, 11:48 AM
hehehee, go get'em boy!!!!!!

07-21-2004, 04:57 AM
What's the prep-work for doing this?
What paint did you guys use exactly?

I'm thinking of doing this but don't want it to look to.....
"home-made"

Can one of you guys get a good close up shot of it if posable?
Thanks allot! :D

07-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Last bump.