PDA

View Full Version : steel bumpers

AmaRu
04-27-2004, 09:17 PM
im planning to put a bodykit on soon but i wanted to take off the steel bumpers...i heard that if i put on plastic ones it would leave a noticeable gap, would i be able to put the bodykit on without a bumper? or is wut i heard not true...how would i do this without those steel bumpers? meh, noob question from a noob *wiggle*
thanx!

-AmaRu

Jordan
04-28-2004, 01:55 AM
They are made of Aluminum, not steel.

Plastic bumper covers will not fit a older body style car without extensive modifications. Been there, done that.. take my word on it. However the actual bumper core of the plastic bumpers will fit on with only mild modifications.

You don't *need* bumpers under a bodykit, but its a good idea to have them for safety sake

AmaRu
04-28-2004, 02:03 AM
alrite then i should take the bumper "core" off a plastic bumper then put the bodykit over?

diegom6
04-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Jordan
They are made of Aluminum, not steel.

Plastic bumper covers will not fit a older body style car without extensive modifications. Been there, done that.. take my word on it. However the actual bumper core of the plastic bumpers will fit on with only mild modifications.

You don't *need* bumpers under a bodykit, but its a good idea to have them for safety sake

Jordan, you mean like mine? (remember that mine bought like it is already in the car when I purchased the bimmer) also mine is '87 and the steel bumper was modified at poor hammer looks like...lol but finnaly accepted the fibberglass replica M-Tech II

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/356000-356999/356012_107_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/356000-356999/356012_108_full.jpg

Jordan
04-28-2004, 03:04 AM
No.. The plastic bumper cores are made out of Fiberglass. Thick ass fiberglass.

What you have pictured diego is not from plastic bumpers. It might be a federalized small metal euro bumper backing. Or maybe not even from a e30.

bmwm5lover
04-28-2004, 03:10 AM
It wouldnt be a bad idea to use the rebars fromt he 89+ e30's....But, $$$