PDA

View Full Version : Old Engine noise...

Kid
04-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Well, my '89 325iS seems to be making some noises that i dont think its supposed to make:mad: . It sounds like the lifters or the cam shafts? But I dunno, will rebuilding it get rid of all of these little noises? It has 180,600 miles on it.

Will it be worth rebuilding it or not? Any estimates on price?

Thanks*wiggle*

BMW_M52_M20
04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
E30's with age will develope valve tick. Mine has it, not to bad, but it is there.
Jay

T.Dot_E30
04-26-2004, 03:56 PM
maybe try a vavle adjustment before u think of rebuilding, its not cheap its gonna be an expensive repair

felixthecat
04-26-2004, 05:04 PM
adjust the eccentrics...valve tick is very common on e30s...no worries..

chromius
04-26-2004, 07:50 PM
The tick is usually normal, and sometimes noisy fuel injectors can be mistaken for valve tick....its not lifters because an 89 m20 has an overhead cam, hence there are no lifters....and besides the one good thing about being able to hear them, is that you know they are working....its when you can't hear them that you should start to worry, cuz then you might be burning your valves if they are adjusted too tight.

Oh and there is no way the engine needs to be rebuilt at 180,000 Miles unless something whent horribly wrong with it...if it has been getting regular service though you should still have lots and lots of life left in it....save your money cuz a rebuild is not cheap

MR 325
04-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Don't rebuld an engine if it "makes a noise". If it still runs good, who cares. Do a valve adjustment, change the timing belt, and change the oil often, it will be fine.

Kid
04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
I do change the oil often, about once every three months... So how do I adjust the valves?is it something I can do myself or do I need to have someone else do it.

Anyone do it before that knows?

Skunk#1
04-27-2004, 12:24 AM
it is easy, if you know anything about engines. this is a real fast explaination. you have to get the valve cover off then i always start with which ever valve has no load on it, meaning the lobe is 180 from the rocker, there might be more than one, just write down the ones you are doing, and then use the feelers to measure while adjusting the essentric. keep the car in gear like fifth that way you can roll it to move the engine. do this for all the cylinders both intake and exhaust valves. but the exhaust valves are the ones that always come loose. i try to do this ever oil change, or sooner if i am ragging the car. and more often than not i am ragging the poor thing.

Skunk#1
04-27-2004, 12:30 AM
my car gets oil everytime i can think of it, that means not as often as i should be, being a mechanic i have no time to work on my own stuff, but my car has over 210,000 miles and they are hard miles, the car burns oil and has a small leak that is appearent when i am hard on the car, so i just keep putting new oil in and changing the filter. that has got to be the worst thing i have ever done to any car but ned an excuse the mod this thing. i have already stripped it of everthing i doesnt need and am fixing to turn it in to a club racer. but anyway these cars just dont die i am confident that i could treat this engine good and still get another 100,000 out of it.