PDA

View Full Version : What coilover to get?

mogie
06-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Heya all, I have decided to go with a COIL-over setup on my 325- but the deciding factor is which one????

I can get either Bilstein PSS or PS9, or even H&R

The main difference is money the PS9 is more but is 9 way adjustable.

Help I am so confused........

MACIEK how do you like your PSS???

Gamite
06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
Didnt you just order a set of bilstein's for the rear? anyways, go with the PS9's if you wanna splurge that much cash.

mogie
06-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Based on price point the PSS is an awesome value it the complete set- the PS9 is even better being 9 way adjustable,
I am not familier with the Ground Control - is this also a complete set and aprox $$ OHLINs is very nice KW - I'd rather have Bilsteins

GR8 Ride
06-04-2002, 01:00 PM
I'd go with the H&R's, and here's why.

A) The Bilstein PSS / PSS9 system is aimed at non M3 cars. The sway bar links need to connect to the lower control arm, and not the strut. This causes the loss of a mechanical advantage, and requires a bigger sway bar to do the same work.

B) Adjustable shock valving makes little sense unless you're planning on replacing springs at the same time. Shocks should ONLY come into play when the spring is in motion; Too stiffly valved a shock, and it can end up supporting too much of the weight of the car, instead of the spring. Adjustable shocks tends to make people WANT to adjust them, thinking they'll get more performance out of them. Tinkering will eventually just screw up how well the car performs, rather than having a system that is well setup to begin with.

Pat

mogie
06-04-2002, 10:21 PM
hmmmm i see what you mean as I am aware of the valving and setting issues, that was why the PS9 got into the choice, it is nice also that PS9 has everything- but due to work I doubt I'll have time to track the car as much as I like, both solo 1 and solo 2.
I am not too familiar on the H&R's so I will research them more.
I can get either brand at a exceptional price....thus the reason for the upgrade. Thx.

M3Pilot
06-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Leda!
Make great coil overs for front and back, a true coilover set up.