PDA

View Full Version : Best price on 5w-30 Castrol?

telegix
05-30-2002, 02:40 PM
I'm wondering where here in Toronto or GTA you can get a good deal on some 5w-30 Castrol synthetic? I've usally bought my oil at costco, but they only have 5w-50 synthetic and not the 5w-30 stuff..? At least to the two i go to... Thanks..

Furious
05-30-2002, 03:36 PM
well in my opinion i would spend the extra 0.75-1.25 for mobil one sythetic,, but thats my opinion,, if you really want,, canadain tire is a about average in price,, but since there is one on every block,, its convient to go there...(my thinking is time is money) ,,so you save there...
good luck

telegix
05-30-2002, 06:28 PM
I heard several places that said use Mobil.. The question is why? Why is it better then the recommend Castrol? At my scheduled changes the dealers prob going to put castrol in.. So when not keep it consistant..?

M3Turboca
05-31-2002, 08:28 PM
The reason people say use Mobil 1 including myself is that the Castrol is not a 100% syn oil. They changed the formula 1 or 2 years ago.

Mobil 1 is a true syn oil 100% and the new formula SuperSyn comes to canada in Sept 02.

Dont use a 5W50 that is too thick. use a 0W30, 5W30 or from Essotech (Keele& Finch 6 in a case) I just picked up 2 case of Mobil 1 0W40. This 0W40 is certified by AMG, Porsche and BMW.

Currently I use only use 10W30 and will be changing to the 0W40 for summer and 0W30 for fall and spring as I dont drive my car in the winter.

telegix
06-01-2002, 08:37 AM
Ok, makes sense.. But what about my previous question.. The scheduled changes will include replacement oil every 24,000km and i'll be doing it every 8,000km.. Which basicly i do it twice myself and they do it once.. Can i tell them to use Mobil 1?

Furious
06-01-2002, 03:41 PM
you can ask them to but im not sure if they use it,,, my mechanic uses lubro molly which is very good too.......btw- im running 10w30 mobil1 tri-synthetic

telegix
06-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by M3Turboca
The reason people say use Mobil 1 including myself is that the Castrol is not a 100% syn oil. They changed the formula 1 or 2 years ago.

We'll i sent Castrol a little msg last week and they responded with this:

------------
In response to your inquiry, Castrol decided to take advantage of exciting new developments in
technology that allows the production of advanced high-performance synthetic base stocks. We
found that by using advanced base stocks, we could produce synthetic oil that exceeded high
performance levels achieved with standard synthetic base stock.

Due to this change in our technology, we were challenged to prove that our Syntec brand is
properly marketed as full synthetic oil. On this issue, Castrol successfully substantiated this
claim by proving that Syntec is indeed fully synthetic. In fact, the
National Advertising Division
(NAD) of the Better Business Bureau ruled completely and unequivocally in favor of Castrol, a
decision that was never appealed by our competition.

Castrol won the dispute because of the overwhelming evidence we presented, which included
testimony from leading scientists, conclusions of the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the
opinions of scientists at Exxon and Shell.

More importantly, Castrol has always believed that the true test of motor oil is the degree to
which it protects your engine. Castrol Syntec passes the most rigorous tests in the world and
offers the ultimate in engine protection. Therefore, you can continue to rely on Castrol Syntec to
seek out and neutralize corrosive particles in your engine preventing premature engine wear
during all phases of engine operation, help prevent the formation of sludge, meet standards of
protection that conventional oils simply cannot attain, provide vastly increased stability at
extreme temperatures, bond to engine parts at a molecular level leaving a layer of protection, and
finally to exceed all gasoline engine warranty requirements for US, European and Japanese cars
and light trucks.

We hope that we have properly addressed all of your concerns.
---------

I think i'll just stick to castrol since thats what the dealer's going to be putting in it..