PDA

View Full Version : Weird Idle

BMW BMXer
05-29-2002, 04:58 PM
Ocassionally when I have my car in neutral, Ill be sitting at a light and the idle will just drop to almost stalling then come back up, and keep doing it till i throw a few revs

I normally notice it beacause it does not feel like a bass note, I don't think it would be becuase of my subs because it does not draw that much and it does not happen all the time.

Im gettin the belts done on sat, Ill probably just get bimmersport to take a look, but knowing me and my luck it won't happen when hes around..

He will be the first real mechanic (other than the certification dude) too look at it in about 3 years..

Harry
05-29-2002, 07:13 PM
2 Suggestions...
1. O2 sensor
2. Mass airflow meter.

e36m3
05-29-2002, 07:20 PM
You should have a heavy-duty alternator installed if you're pulling a lot of current for your audio, also, how old is your battery? The best battery to buy is an M3 convertible-spec battery, especially if your car has stiffer springs than stock. That battery can take a lot more vibration than a stock-spec battery. You should be able to tell if there's issues with your charging system by turning on your foglights and rear window defrost at the same time. If you're drawing too much current, or your battery is getting old, which means it won't hold much backup capacity, then you'll definitely notice.

e36_freak
05-29-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Harry
2 Suggestions...
1. O2 sensor
2. Mass airflow meter.

yah you should check these........is the most common reason why this happens

BMW BMXer
05-29-2002, 08:08 PM
my batts only like 3 months old, but I may check it because the first one I bought from crappy tire died in a day, this one may be wonky 2

I only have a 600w amp and a 140w dekc, I know people running more with no backup..

Slowered318
05-30-2002, 03:09 AM
mine bogs down when i click on my high beams and it's starting to tick just after i changed the oil.. hmmmm not good at all!

Eurostyle
05-30-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by e36_freak

yah you should check these........is the most common reason why this happens

Ahh....the idle problem once again!!!
Like Rob already said check the idle control valve! I seen that problem MANY times!!! 99% chances are the valve itself or even control module (green or blue box right next to the ECU). This problem is mostly noticable after highway driving. You can try to clean the valve, that can fix the problem or get it worst! New valve about $230! Used $50 to $75 but chances are IT WILL do it again very soon! I had like 10+ ETA's and they all did it at one point in time!:mad:

PS E36_freak WTF are you talking about??!!! didnt you see that problem like a 100 times and know what it is!!!!:huh?: :huh?:

///Mr.T
05-30-2002, 04:22 AM
Idle control valve. Mine did that for a while then it died completely! It died while I was sitting in brampton on queen trying to turn left with a pedestrian standing infront of me. The car revving to 3500 rpm and i couldnt do anything, I got the dirtiest looks! :D If it gets worse there are cheaper ways to fix... ask me how I know! :cool:

bimmersport
05-30-2002, 08:57 AM
I think in the first replies (Harry & e36_freak) didn't realize you had an E30...

I'll check it out for you on Saturday;) but like they said it's probably the idle valve or the idle control unit (VERY common problem on these cars!).*wave*

Lil'Smoothie
05-30-2002, 10:57 PM
I recently had the same problem except my car had alot of hesitation too. I thought it was my chip but I just found out I had a rip in a hose where air was leaking out, fixed the rip and she idles great again

BMW BMXer
05-30-2002, 11:45 PM
ya its not cool, cuz ppl are in the car and there like dude what the hells a matter with ur ride

well at least is a common problem..

bimmersport I can't wait to see ur reaction when u see my paint job