PDA

View Full Version : e30 front shock install

85eta
04-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Does anybody have a link that describes how to install front shocks. I guess I should really just buy a bentleys manual, but for now, this will have to do. Thanks!

BMW BMXer
04-08-2004, 03:35 AM
They had a tutorial on pelican parts

but i dont have the link

hovae30
04-08-2004, 05:06 AM
buy the book it really helped me alot did it my self took about 3 hours! take your time and be patient is the best thing I can tell you if you've never done this kind of job before. It's not really a difficult task.

felixthecat
04-08-2004, 09:23 AM
theres struts up front,youd be better of takin it in...you need to be kinda mechanically inclined to do that job...

BMW BMXer
04-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Bullox. It's not THAT hard.

85eta
04-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by felixthecat
you need to be kinda mechanically inclined to do that job...

I am definitely "kinda" mechanically inclined:) I think I am going to tackle it, doesn't seem to hard.

BladeRunner
04-09-2004, 05:02 AM
I got your back man, straight from Bavarian....

1. Raise the front wheels off the ground by jacking up and supporting the front of the vehicle using appropriate jack stands. Remove the wheels.

2. Disconnect and set aside ABS sender and brake pad wear sensor (figure 1).

3. Loosen the 3 strut-to-spindle bolts (figure 2).

4. Place a floor jack under the strut & control arm assembly and raise it slightly. Remove the 3 upper strut mount nuts (figure 3).

5. Lower the floor jack. Remove the three strut-to-spindle bolts that we loosened in step 3. Separate the strut from the spindle (figure 4) and lift the strut assembly out of the vehicle.

6. Using a spring compressor, compress the spring and remove the shock-to-mount nut (figures 5 & 5A).

7. Disassemble the upper mount, washer's spring perch, spring perch isolator, compressed spring, lower spring seat isolator, compression absorber and dust from the old shot (below).

8. (Assembly, everything in reverse). Assemble all of the parts from step 7 onto the new shock. Replace any damaged or worn parts with the new parts from our shock installation kit (above left). Once the shock-to-mount nut is secured, remove the spring compressor, watching the alignment of the spring to the spring seats.

9. Install the strut assembly into the vehicle in the reverse procedure from removal. Reconnect the ABS and pad wear sensor wires. Install the wheels and lower the vehicle. And be sure to have the front-end alignment checked.

10. You’re done, now wash up, properly dispose of used and old parts or items and clean your work area. Be happy you've just completed a technical task rated at 3 or 4 wrenches so strut down block. Hope you've taken some pictures intrusted in seeing what E30 suspension parts look like. Only thing left is GETTING YOUR FRONT-END ALIGNMENT CHECKED!!!!

----
No need to thank me I know, I know I am your savior.

85eta
04-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
No need to thank me I know, I know I am your savior. [/B]

Oh man thats awesome, I found a site on the net that explained it, but your explanation is much better*th-up* thanks a bunch!

felixthecat
04-09-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by 85eta
I am definitely "kinda" mechanically inclined:) I think I am going to tackle it, doesn't seem to hard. when you said "front shocks"...i thought you had no clue....*wave*

85eta
04-09-2004, 06:49 AM
haha, ya shocks/struts, I always call them shocks for some reason:confused: