PDA

View Full Version : my 318i came with a "swimming pool mod"...

eurosport318i
04-07-2004, 06:49 PM
hey, new to this forum, whats up everybody.
Iv been having a water problem with my 318i. Its a 91, i just got the car last january and and i noticed the problem soon after i bought it. I havent found the source of the leak yet, but water (a good amount) collects behind my front passenger seat, and now that iv taken the rear seats out, I also noticed water collecting there (under the insulation and fabric that i put in where the back seats were.) The only other place i noticed water was under the battery in the trunk. i think that was just because of the cracked taillight. Its still cracked, and i thought that was the source (perhaps it traveled from that part of the trunk down to the floor behind the seat), but the other day i checked under the battery and there was no water, yet i still found water in the other two locations. (so now im not sure where the waters coming from, all the seals look good though.
anyways, if anybody has had similar problems or any general advice, please let me know.
by the way, you'll always be able to tell my posts apart from everybody elses, mine will be the ones with none of the words spelled right...
anyways, thanks.
cory-

Rally318ti
04-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Dude all I can say is..................Find a garage to check for possible rust holes!

chromius
04-07-2004, 09:21 PM
sounds like the drain holes for your sunroof are plugged, cuz when they are, the floor at the rear passenger seat is where the water goes.

Acidblast
04-07-2004, 09:24 PM
check to see if your vents have any debris covering them like leaves and stuff. often they get stuck in the vents and when it rains the water will just drain into the passenger side. it happened to me.

LP_E30PWR
04-18-2004, 04:35 PM
i have had some problems with water too
put only in the trunk. Down low. But when it was warm i open my trunk on the driveway and it became dry.

I think it was when i washed the car. do al the rubbers on your doors en trunk close well. i would also go to a garagen look for rust. of maybe if you take some parts of you will see the hole.

:D good luck

BMW BMXer
04-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Ok, passenger side. Check the drains in the vents below the windshield. On the passenger side there is this thing that looks like an elephants trunk near the top of the firewall. Take that off (its black) it will probably be fulla gunk.

Take of the vent covers below the windsheild and see if theres a buncha crap collected in the space below. Clean that out.

Also there are drains at the BOTTOM of your car near the jack spot. They are little cut outs in the rocker pannels they often get crushed shut (sorry they are hard to describe).

For the rear seats. Open your sunfoof and look for the drain holes. There are 2 up front I know for sure, fish em out with a coathanger (you can only go so far you will know when u stop) or better yet an air compressor.

Search the net there are TONS of help guides about leaky e30s.

Oh for the trunk, taillight seals, trunk seals, antenna grommet.