PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressors

JeorgeBaptista
05-28-2002, 02:54 PM
looking in upgrading my garage at home inorder to seriously work on my Old E30.

I'm looking into buying an air compressor for impact wrench etc...

Does anyone have experience with home use air compressors?
What would you recommend. What would you stay away from.

KIRASIR
05-28-2002, 03:13 PM
I have a 3gallon 1.5HP one at home(bought it from Costco for 200 bucks), and find it to be sufficient for my home/mechanical needs. It won't be much help with sandblasting, long term grinding/sanding but I've had no problems with it using impact gun, whench, air spray, hammer. For pretty much all of the highspeed air tools you really need a more powerful compressor(~3HP+ with a big tank), but you have to determine first what your needs are. If you only need it for mechanical jobs then 1.5hp one is enough. For body work, like sanding and grinding, get something more powerful. Some people say: Buy the best that you can afford. A big tank can also make a hell of a difference but it all depends on how much cash you are willing to shell out.

Serge

GR8 Ride
05-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Depending on your budget, there are a couple of ways to go.

For 120V, you're basically looking at single stage compressors. For regular, enthusiast house jobs, this is excellent.

Up to about $600 will get you a 30 gallon, 6 HP unit from Husky or Campbell Hausfeld. This will do for essentially ANYTHING you might want to do around your house. They're equipped with wheels, but aren't generally portable. If the majority of what you do is in the garage, then this is fine (it's what I use).

For smaller gigs, you can get 5 HP, 20 gallon (and some 13 gallon) units for roughly $300 or so at either Canadian Tire or Home Depot / Building Box. This will do most of what you might want to accomplish when working on a car, short of grinding and sanding.

For any reasonable type of shop, I wouldn't buy a compressor with a tank any smaller than 13 gallons; in reality, I wouldn't buy anything smaller than 20 gallons.

The 3 gallon 1.5 HP units are fine for brad nailers, but they really suck for using an impact wrench, air socket etc for any length of time. The motor just spends most of it's time running, and the lifespan of the compressor is greatly reduced. It also tends to annoy the neighbors quite a bit.

Pat

JeorgeBaptista
05-29-2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your input guys.

Greatly appreciated.

I think I'll be going to Princess Auto on dixie to check out their compressors.

Jeorge