PDA

View Full Version : AMI Motorsports sold me horribly machined spacers.

MatyBMW
03-31-2004, 05:21 PM
I bought a set of 10mm hubcentric spacers made by FK from AMI motorsports (the sponser on maxbimmer)..

The price was fair but when BMW Mississauga tried to install them they found they were not flat and would not fit on the hub. It was basically bad quality control that they were able to let this slide through the factory when there was obvious bad machining.

I spoke to a rep who offered a refund pending an invoice and hes saying that there is no point replacing them as they are probably all built to this spec. Should I take my chances and get another set? or should i take the refund?

Mystikal
03-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Ouch, I'm planning on buying the exact same ones (10mm HC) next week. Let us know what happens.

BTW, why did you need a dealership to install spacers? :huh?:

sjinto
03-31-2004, 05:29 PM
take the return... if it can happen once it can happen again... i'm very brand loyal when the quality is up to par but once a product proves to be suspect:moon: :D

Eurostyle
03-31-2004, 05:33 PM
Its the second time this week i see bad quality from FK...My friend got some M3 mirrors for his Golf and the fit and finish was very bad...

MatyBMW
03-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Ya, that doesn't look good for business. And its not like they are cheap either.. they should spend some more money on quality control.

aaron_silva
03-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Are you sure your hubs are in good shape? Are the rotors good? If they are warped on misshappend then spacers wont fit properly.

Aaron

T.Dot_E30
03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
maybe they didn't know how to install them properly?

cus im sure dealers dont approve of spacers but they think it reduces the tightness the wheel is in contact with the hub.

I used to work for American Racing, they sell wheels, and using spares would void the warentee on the wheels, when thou they probably wont be able to tell....they dont recommend it

felixthecat
03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
refund......

MatyBMW
03-31-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes, they knew how to install them. I am friends with some individuals at this particular dealership.

The problem is the machining of the centre of the spacer where the hub meets the spacer. It is not perfectly round and is somewhat loose when you put it on. They had three people look at it and it was found to have flaws in design.

Doesn't matter anyway.. the rims i have fit properly i dont need spacers..

Tunerworks
04-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Very strange. I have personally owned about 10 pairs of FK spacers and have sold hundreds of them with zero problems. Not to say that it can't happen, but I'd rate the quality of the FK spacers as very good to excellent. I am sure your vendor will have no problem sending you a new pair at no cost.

Rob

MatyBMW
04-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Interesting...

windsor318is
04-01-2004, 05:41 AM
i bet my car that those spacers are perfect....... they are all cut cnc lathe, and the center is boared out, its impossible

aaron_silva
04-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by windsor318is
i bet my car that those spacers are perfect....... they are all cut cnc lathe, and the center is boared out, its impossible

Werd...a buddy had spacers that didnt fit. The lip on the hub was out of round.

Aaron

bmwm5lover
04-02-2004, 01:55 AM
how much do they cost?