PDA

View Full Version : performance chips

munichman
03-29-2004, 09:01 PM
what performance chip would you get for a 318is, dinan or bavarian autosport? or is there a better one out there?

Chriskb3
03-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Mark D chips are very good from what i hear. i am looking for one also.

Mystikal
03-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Mark doesn't yet make one for the M42.

Jim Conforti makes the best chip for your motor. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?subcat_id=74

munichman
03-30-2004, 02:14 AM
what makes that particular chip better than say a dinan? i dont know much about performance chips. is there a horsepower gain sooner?

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Dinan maps are known to be the least effective. They are only programmed to make a difference at full throttle, which is pretty useless. I love the torquey feeling my MarkD chip gave the car, the part-throttle response (as in what you will actually use 90% of the time) feels great. Conforti also programs this way.

BBSe30
03-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Hey everyone.........I got an Ebay chip through Pro Formance....I let it time out and bid at the last minute.....it cost me like $37 shipped to my door...no joke, the chip works great!...huge difference....I took one of my boys for a ride after chipping it....I didnt tell him I did it....after driving for a couple of minutes he said,"Dude.....what the **** did you do to this thing.....it seems way faster..."Im sure I didnt get huge gains from it....but it certainly made a difference,and was well worth the money....give em a try....you cant go wrong at $40....or even his Buy it now price of $55.....Im curious to see how one of the Pro Formance chips would stand against some of the more expensive chips???????????????????????????????

MarkD
03-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Mark doesn't yet make one for the M42.

Jim Conforti makes the best chip for your motor. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?subcat_id=74

Actually I have a few M42 chips developed. I even sold a few.

I developed a chip for the 1991 318 years ago, I will add it to my site.

I can develop chips for the other M42's if someone in Toronto is willing to try them out. I'll give you a great deal for trying it. Email directly if interested. Contact info is on my site.

I can also quickly make a chip for the 318ti with EWS and dme ending in 990, 357 or 282 as I have all the maps ready.

MarkD

MarkD
03-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MarkD
Actually I have a few M42 chips developed. I even sold a few.

I developed a chip for the 1991 318 years ago, I will add it to my site.

I can develop chips for the other M42's if someone in Toronto is willing to try them out. I'll give you a great deal for trying it. Email directly if interested. Contact info is on my site.

I can also quickly make a chip for the 318ti without EWS and DME ending in 990, or with EWS and dme ending in 357 or 282 as I have all the maps ready.

MarkD

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Mark, did you recieve an e-mail from a "Rob" with an M42 E30? He has been bugging me for months to speak with you about a chip for his car, and I gave him your e-mail address.

Can you share which ECU number you make the chip for? I'll pass on the info to the other board.

MarkD
03-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Mark, did you recieve an e-mail from a "Rob" with an M42 E30? He has been bugging me for months to speak with you about a chip for his car, and I gave him your e-mail address.

Can you share which ECU number you make the chip for? I'll pass on the info to the other board.

Hello Jay

Is he Rob from http://www.r3vlimited.com/ ? Yes he emailed last night and I saw the email today but have yet to respond. I have a chip for the 0 261 200 175 (and I will make a newer version soon) and can make M42 chips for almost any other DME within 3 weeks to a month. (I may be able to make something faster if I give it higher priority)

Thanks

Mark

P.S. just got my M5 on the road yesterday so if you see a black E34 M5 that looks something like this, http://www.bmwe34m5.com/registry/HTMLFiles/StanleyMarcovici.htm it could be me. (This is the same car before it got m-tecnik mirrors and reall M-parallels)

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Yes, that is the same Rob. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to let the E30 board know.

That is one beautiful M5. I'm sure it's a joy to drive. *th-up*

chromius
03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Dinan maps are known to be the least effective. They are only programmed to make a difference at full throttle, which is pretty useless. I love the torquey feeling my MarkD chip gave the car, the part-throttle response (as in what you will actually use 90% of the time) feels great. Conforti also programs this way.

I found that my Bavarian auto chip is the same....the low end torque is not there, but on WOT it has good kick.

MarkD
03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
I found that my Bavarian auto chip is the same....the low end torque is not there, but on WOT it has good kick.

How did that BavAuto chip compare to the stock one in your super eta motor? JC never made one as he said there were no gains to be had (see here) : http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/ChipE28528e.html

Maybe someone will make a good super eta chip for this orphan motor one day... :D

MarkD

chromius
03-31-2004, 01:26 PM
How did that BavAuto chip compare to the stock one in your super eta motor? JC never made one as he said there were no gains to be had (see here) : http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/ChipE28528e.html

Maybe someone will make a good super eta chip for this orphan motor one day... :D

MarkD

Did you get my e-mail? I definitly got gains with the bavauto chip, however it came at a cost of low end torque, and I also started experiencing a "ping" problem at high RPM. However I think you may have succeded in changing all that.....*th-up* Should I explain my experience so far?:)

Bob Loblaw
03-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Wow! Amazing M5, Mark!

MarkD
03-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
Did you get my e-mail? I definitly got gains with the bavauto chip, however it came at a cost of low end torque, and I also started experiencing a "ping" problem at high RPM. However I think you may have succeded in changing all that.....*th-up* Should I explain my experience so far?:)

Yes I did get your email and I also responded with 2 or 3 emails. Did you get them? And sure I'd like you to explain your experience here. My post above was made basically to lead into what I figured you may say regarding your first experience with my super eta chip. :)

MarkD

chromius
03-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Yes I did get your email and I also responded with 2 or 3 emails. Did you get them? And sure I'd like you to explain your experience here. My post above was made basically to lead into what I figured you may say regarding your first experience with my super eta chip. :)

MarkD

yeah I just got your e-mails. Well all I can say about Mark's chip for my car, compared to Bav auto, is wow! I will just post the e-mail......

> Hey Mark,
>
> Got the chip today, I put it in tonight. So far all I can say is wow.
From
> a subjective standpoint its 100% better than the bavauto chip. Its hard
to
> explain in words but the "drivability" and "feel" is so much better, the
> power is so much more linear, and available sooner...and it got rid of my
> pinging problem. It seems like it just wants to keep pulling...no flat
> spots. Its awesome. This is of course from a subjective standpoint, but
I
> will try and have some hard numbers for you next week if that alright,
> because I think its supposed to rain the rest of the week, so to get some
> good readings I will wait until it dries up.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

MarkD
03-31-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
Wow! Amazing M5, Mark!

Thanks Rob!
It's fun to drive but with the cops everywhere it's hard to drive even on the highway. I'll just go to a track day once a month for that. The BMWCC track days (whoops I mean "driver training events" seem to have a few too many accidents occurring for me, so I'm going to the road course at Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park). They are having about 5 events and the first is on April 16th.

MarkD

Bob Loblaw
03-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Sounds fun. Good luck!

munichman
03-31-2004, 08:25 PM
hey Mark what is the address of your website you sell your chips from? nice M5 by the way

MarkD
03-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by munichman
hey Mark what is the address of your website you sell your chips from? nice M5 by the way

Hi,
just click the WWW button under my posts to get transported directly to my website!

MarkD

munichman
03-31-2004, 08:45 PM
thanks, when will you start selling the m42 chip?

MarkD
03-31-2004, 08:50 PM
thanks, when will you start selling the m42 chip?

Probably not for a month at least. I have the chip for the 91 318 with DME 0 261 200 175 ready.

For the M42's you *must* supply the DME number as the chip is specific for each DME, and there are 4 or 5 possibilities.

MarkD

munichman
03-31-2004, 11:57 PM
where do i find the DME?

MarkD
04-01-2004, 12:19 AM
where do i find the DME?

E30's have them in the glove box, E36's have them in the firewall. (access from under the hood)
Here is a helpful link if you have an E36 :
http://www.zync.com/chip/

MarkD

ZiMMie
04-01-2004, 12:25 AM
E30's have them in the glove box, E36's have them in the firewall. (access from under the hood)
Here is a helpful link if you have an E36 :
http://www.zync.com/chip/

MarkD

OT: I was just wonderin its the stock Chip write protected? if not why can u just back up the stock eeprom on a hd and write the modified eeprom on the stock chip?? just tought of this out of the blue wonderin if its possible.. will this work

MarkD
04-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by ZiMMie
OT: I was just wonderin its the stock Chip write protected? if not why can u just back up the stock eeprom on a hd and write the modified eeprom on the stock chip?? just tought of this out of the blue wonderin if its possible.. will this work

That is possible but as it's not an EEPROM but an EPROM, you need to erase it with ultraviolet light. And it's a really good idea to keep your stock chip just in case you need to revert back to it. (like if premium goes up to $4.99 a litre )

MarkD

ZiMMie
04-01-2004, 12:34 AM
ahhhhhhh.. thanx for the info..

Rally318ti
04-01-2004, 12:39 AM
hey Mark, you chipped Razkal's e36 320i, drove it.......... & was surprised how smooth it was, was just wondering what u can for my do for my M42 318ti I'm dying to try something for power increase......you said " I'll give you a deal for just trying it" I will be more than happy to test the chip for you........lemmie know, I have no real time frame so anytime is good for me.

MarkD
04-01-2004, 01:06 PM
The deal (25% off) is really for the first member who tries a chip for a new DME and then mentions how they like it here. Tell me which DME you have and I'll see if you qualify. (You probably will as right now, nobody from Max has tried my M42 chips).

MarkD

Rally318ti
04-01-2004, 10:03 PM
OK Deal! I'll see what I can do about the DMe # , & we'll keep in touch for sure ;) I'd definitely share my experience with your chip here on Max!! Thanks Mark

KIRASIR
04-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi Mark,

Do you do any OBD-II custom work by any chance(m44) or do you know anybody in Toronto who could reprogram fuel/spark maps on an OBD-2 chip?

Thanks

SL

MarkD
04-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Hi Mark,

Do you do any OBD-II custom work by any chance(m44) or do you know anybody in Toronto who could reprogram fuel/spark maps on an OBD-2 chip?

Thanks

SL

I don't know anyone that can custom tune OBD-II maps. I've been planning to buy equipment for this but am still evaluating the feasibility as it's a big investment. Can you send me an email telling me what you would like to accomplish?

Thanks

MarkD