PDA

View Full Version : fault code 1222

SebSter
03-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know what Lambda Control 1 is? Thats the code im getting using the check engine light method. code 1222.

SebSter
03-29-2004, 04:16 PM
and now i tried it again and got 1444, which means no failures... wtf

chromius
03-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Lambda sensor is your oxygen sensor....it might be on its last legs...it can start to get flaky...and will flash the check engine light, one time, then the next time you drive it will be fine. I would replace it if I were you.

SebSter
03-29-2004, 04:44 PM
yeah im having some serious problems getting my car running, http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31799

how much is an oxygen sensor gonna be at the dealer? or some place where theyre gonna have it in stock

also, its easy to replace it myself right? no need to take the car in anywhere

ZiMMie
03-29-2004, 04:54 PM
its easy.. very easy to take off the cover its just pops off disconnect the cable for it its under the batterey tray infont of the car.. and just scew it out with a 17mm or 16mm.. Hope this works.

chromius
03-29-2004, 04:56 PM
for the O2 sensor you are probably looking at around $150....however it sounds like you might have other problems too, because even if the O2 sensor is messed up, the car should still run....it will just run really rich. because I believe that the O2 sensor will just run in closed loop mode if its shot.

When starting the car try pushing the gas pedal down half way to open up the throttle butterfly....that will lean things out while the car is trying to start, see if that works, if that works then that means its running way too rich.

SebSter
03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
nope that didnt make any difference... was just down in the driveway fiddling around, same story first 2-3 times i try to start it just strugles but wont start, then finally it starts but idles a bit rough for a while, then eventually runs somewhat decent

chromius
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
It very well could be the O2 sensor, but hard to say, because really the O2 sensor does nothing until its warmed up to operating temp. But like you said, it definitly sounds like something to do with the fuel mixture, so O2 sensor or AFM....but without acctually looking at it, its hard to say. If you just replaced the pump and fuel filter, that rules that out....the other posibility could be the fuel pressure regulator, but I would think that would make it run bad all the time...so really not sure.

One more thing you can check is to pull a couple of spark plugs out and check to see if there are any deposits on them, if they are "gunked" up, depending on what they look like, that could help determine what the problem is.

MorningCruiser
03-29-2004, 08:40 PM
Closed loop on every car is O2 sensor only I thought? BTW, an O2 sensor takes 5 seconds to get up to temp I believe, so for the five seconds that it needs it should run in a cold start loop...

Sounds O2ish to me, my Fiero did the same thing when I first got it, it would do that, and from running rich it killed my catalytic converter, so once I swapped the o2 sensor and straighted the converter, it was fine... Still ran a little rich, but *shrug* who cares?

chromius
03-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
Closed loop on every car is O2 sensor only I thought? BTW, an O2 sensor takes 5 seconds to get up to temp I believe, so for the five seconds that it needs it should run in a cold start loop...

I'm pretty sure it takes longer than 5 seconds, depending on where the O2 sensor is located, for it to be really effective it has to be at a minimum temp of 600 degrees F. Thats why a lot of newer cars come with O2 sensor heating elements. However I don't think the e30 has that.

MorningCruiser
03-29-2004, 08:54 PM
*shrug* never seen a BMW O2 sensor, on my jeep and every other one I've seen they're open finned enough to let heat in, and exhaust is VERY hot, so it heats stuff up pretty quick (fast enough that catalytic converters are too hot to touch even with welding gloves... after 5 seconds)

bmwm5lover
03-29-2004, 09:23 PM
i was quotet 250 for a O2 sensor at Autohaus

chromius
03-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
i was quotet 250 for a O2 sensor at Autohaus

Bavarian Autosport sells bosch ones for $119.00 USD, works out to $155.00 CAD